Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Preservative advice

Old 05-17-07, 01:56 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Preservative advice

Not trying to be an ***, but if anyone is one of those super anti-war/bush people just don't bother posting. I posted in another forum asking for advice seeing as I am deploying to Iraq in August and got more flames on being a child killer and **** then actual advice about some stuff. I'm in the Marines and I'm leaving for 7-8 months in august, and need to figure out the best way to keep my car in good shape. I finally got my 2jzgte yesterday and I plan on completely taking it apart today, cleaning it and plastic wrapping it so It will be clean and ready when I get back from Iraq. Does anyone know of a good lube or cleaner that I can wipe the engine down (Intake, cylinders and walls, etc) that I can afterwards wrap in plastic so it doesn't get rusty? Also, my SC300 will be sitting in storage next to the motor. The SC has 103K on it, and runs perfect. What do I need to do to preserve it? I know there are products you put in the gas tank and what not, but I am looking for the best advice. both the car and the engine will be sitting in a dust free (plastic wrapped anyways) arid desert climate where moisture is unheard of. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-17-07, 02:00 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always used ATF for cylinders. All the snowbirds around here use that seafoam stuff for their gas, or some other sheat they have at Checker. I would probably drain my tank though. You don't have anyone that could start your car for you once in awhile?
Old 05-17-07, 02:03 PM
ncred
Driver School Candidate

I don't have any preservative advice...but just wanted to say a big thanks for all that you are doing for us. Myself and my family appreciate your service, dedication and sacrifice. Be safe my friend!
Old 05-17-07, 02:11 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ncred
I don't have any preservative advice...but just wanted to say a big thanks for all that you are doing for us. Myself and my family appreciate your service, dedication and sacrifice. Be safe my friend!
:werd: Thank you!
Old 05-17-07, 02:19 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here not advice, but wish you well and please come back safe!
Old 05-17-07, 02:20 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not so sure on preservatives for the engine itself, but do remember to add a gas stabilizer such as "STA-BIL" to prevent the gas from varnishing.

Also, a BIG thank you for your sacrifice in helping to protect this great nation of ours!!!!

Keep yourself safe and Godspeed!!!

Semper Fi
Old 05-17-07, 02:24 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks all of you for your support. It really means alot, honestly! I'm more curious about the parts from the GTE I'm taking apart. If I dry them off really well and clean them, they won't get rusty in an Arid environment for a half a year will they? Hate to come back to a Rust bucket.
Old 05-17-07, 02:51 PM
hknubsauce
Lead Lap

wsup matt...juss wanted to wish you well n come home safe...
Old 05-17-07, 03:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

We appreciate your support overseas, but let's do try and stay on topic of the car so we don't have to move it to "that forum".
Old 05-17-07, 03:26 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kyoso23
I've always used ATF for cylinders. All the snowbirds around here use that seafoam stuff for their gas, or some other sheat they have at Checker. I would probably drain my tank though. You don't have anyone that could start your car for you once in awhile?
Negative. I'm removing the ECU from the car while its gone and putting that else where to where they're have a hell of a time stealing the car if the wish to try doing so. Its been very common for people to steal cars and drive 20 minutes south to Mexico... and well ya, you never see your car again. There is a chemical we use on rifles called CLP. It stands for Cleaning, Lubricating and Preserving. The materials used in the weaponry here is similar if not the same in alot of aspects as the metals used in Engines and various associated parts. I think I might CLP everything until I get back. It should help out alot. Thanks again guys.
Old 05-17-07, 03:37 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hknubsauce
wsup matt...juss wanted to wish you well n come home safe...
Hey there man, thanks again for the sways and the harness. I was really excited to get them set up but it looks like it won't be happening any time soon Lol. If you ever run across the passanger side harness let me know!
Old 05-17-07, 04:15 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YumaSC300
Negative. I'm removing the ECU from the car while its gone and putting that else where to where they're have a hell of a time stealing the car if the wish to try doing so. Its been very common for people to steal cars and drive 20 minutes south to Mexico... and well ya, you never see your car again. There is a chemical we use on rifles called CLP. It stands for Cleaning, Lubricating and Preserving. The materials used in the weaponry here is similar if not the same in alot of aspects as the metals used in Engines and various associated parts. I think I might CLP everything until I get back. It should help out alot. Thanks again guys.
I've used plain ol ATF fluid on top of the pistons/rings before and it worked fine. Probably about a 15-16 month deal when I did it. That CLP stuff sounds like it would be worth trying. Worst case, you'll be replacing seals and gaskets which you probably plan on doing anyway, no?
Old 05-17-07, 08:18 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Most likely. I was taking it apart today and I had some of the honda hatchback crew talking ****. I kindly created a picture in they're mind. Say, your going clubbing in LA, or San Diego or something : Would a girl want to drive in a gutted out hatchback with no interior or A/C, and maybe have a seat to sit on if you didn't rip that out? Or a full interior Lexus with all the options and its probably just as fast... I laughed and they didn't like that too much
Old 05-18-07, 12:41 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Relieve the weight from the suspension and tires by putting the car up on jack stands.

Thank you for service to this country, I am immensely grateful that there are brave and honorable people like you who will defend this country from the true evil that exists. America is not what's wrong with the world, we are its last best hope. I support the troops and the mission.
Old 05-18-07, 08:23 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

So if I buy 4 of the little jack stands its good for the suspension when the car is lifted off the ground? I ll do that Is it true you should release the air from the tires while they are up in the air? Or lower the PSI?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Preservative advice