Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in these?
Yes
84.07%
No
15.93%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

SC400 Turbo Manifolds that keep the AC and PS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 08:05 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric-

You are doing the Toyota/Lexus community such a favor with your commitment to high-level performance with the V8.

These manifolds are fantastic in their design. In particular, the driver's side manifold is a work of art given the space constraints.

I only hope that, we, the members of the community can share in your passion and do our part to support your enthusiastic efforts by swapping v160's and running turbo set ups on our own V8's.
Old 05-11-07, 08:25 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c0wboy
We're interested in releasing a full hit, however the cost is going to be higher. A FULL kit would include

smaller twin turbos,
2 into 1 downpipe,
lines,
dual intakes,
dual filters,
twin manifolds,
dual TIAL wastegates
dual midpipes from turbos to manifolds
ceramic coating or heat wrapping

All of this is we put it out would be in the $7700 area; pretty much on par with the 2jz small twin kits out there. That being said, if there is enough interest, we can get go forward with the complete bolt on kit. It's up to you guys

Eric
i was actually speaking to my friend about it and estimated to be around 7500. so 7700 is about on par with where my head was in terms of what it would entail. bolt-on to me means no tuning is needed, but as expected someone jumping into this type of thing would want to tune the car. but i'd be interested to see what the car does with low boost on the stock ecu. i will have my eyes extremely glued to this thread. if something happens and you do not see my respond, please feel free to PM me. i work on a lot of cars and am on multiple forums so my days get busy. thanks.
Old 05-11-07, 08:32 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I hadnt just supercharged. Good thing though, I have no self control. Your V160 swap is already going to take a toll on my bank account.

What about those pulleys? Are you selling those?
Old 05-12-07, 04:27 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i almost just wet myself after seeing this post. now only to save a couple more thousand, or just get a loan out for it.
Old 05-12-07, 09:38 PM
cooter2669
Driver School Candidate

let's get a ballpark price on the manifolds before people committ to a GB.
Old 05-12-07, 10:00 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cooter2669
let's get a ballpark price on the manifolds before people committ to a GB.
If n/a headers that are fabricated to fit into an abundant space out the back of the engine cost $600, these turbo manifolds that fit a confined space to avoid the A/C and P/S systems have to cost 3-4 times as much.
Old 05-12-07, 10:07 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Why? its just metal, once it is designed its a matter or welding right?
Old 05-12-07, 10:39 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I guess what I am saying is that the manufacturing cost and overhead of these shouldnt be significantly higher than a set of headers that exhaust to the rear. On top of that I seriously doubt that the equilibrium price point is going to be $1800-$2400, the FI community is pretty small as it is at that price point I doubt that very many units will make it off the shelf.

The goal of Pricing strategy is to maximize profits while obtaining good market penetration. In fact sales volume is one of the components that affects profitabillity. If you price it to high you wont move enough units to make any real money, price it too low and your margins will be too thin and again you dont make any money.

But hey I am sure that the folks at MVP know all about this so I'll back out at this point.
Old 05-12-07, 11:41 PM
c0wboy
Banned

If someone is manufactuing (and have installed on a running car) turbo Lexus V8 manifolds equal in quality and design for $600 for the set, let me know and I'll go in for 10 sets right now. Sadly though no one is. If they were going to, they would have already.

The difference between the run of the mill NA headers and these is that the NA headers are basically bent piping with a collector welded on the end. These manifolds are not like that at all. If you examine the photos on page 1, you can see that all of the pipes have to be split in certian areas then mated. Each runner has to be cut, ground, and fitted by hand to each of the other runners which is all VERY lavor intesive. We also make out own collector in the way the pipes merge. From what we've seen in the kits offered by SRT and Modavi, their manifolds are inferior in comparison as they basically use a stock/inefficient design.

We're still discussing price but right now we are expecting them to be in the 2500 dollar range, which I believe is fair. That's for both manifolds, heat wrapped and ready to go. From what we've seen, they beat anything on the market in both design and price. That includes both Modavi and SRT which kits apprently run 15K and 30K respectively.

Thanks guys,

Eric
Old 05-13-07, 06:12 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

its fair to charge that much, but im going to have to stay out, i rather spend $2500 on something else unfortuantly.
Old 05-13-07, 06:56 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
its fair to charge that much, but im going to have to stay out, i rather spend $2500 on something else unfortuantly.
Comlpletely understandable Again that's the ballpark we're thining about..it may be a little less it may be a little more. I also think that's a fair price given what similar items are on the market now for the 2jz, and given that the labor in these is intense.

I'm am hoping that there are some SC/GS400 owners out there that want to bring their car into the performance arena of the 2jz. Just to shed a little light on that, it's nothing for a 2jz to pump out 650 rwhp on pump gas in daily driven form. I did it for years, and whatsmore the bar is being raised every year. I've been reading posts by dozens of SC/GS400 guys saying "..only if there were an affordable set of manifolds for the 1uz V8..." Those wishes have come true finally. Now let's put part of the equation together... Nowadays a person can run a 6 speed SC400 w/ a V8TT for reasonable cash.

Eric
Old 05-13-07, 08:35 AM
greenvy2k
Lead Lap

how about the ls400. will these manifolds fit it.
Old 05-13-07, 09:39 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, they will, with more room than a SC...

Ryan
Old 05-15-07, 06:15 AM
c0wboy
Banned

I'm not sure about the LS, only SC, GS and MKIV Supra.

Thanks again!

Eric
Old 05-16-07, 04:43 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would be intreeted in this but is too pricy

Quick Reply: SC400 Turbo Manifolds that keep the AC and PS?