Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Possible tranny problem- help me with a quick question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 04:41 PM
Turbocoop
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible tranny problem- help me with a quick question...

My car is starting to act up and Im almost positive its the transmission. Its a 95 SC300 automatic with 164K miles on it...

Sometimes, only between about 25-55 mph, the car will just start jerking real hard (it feels like a really bad warped rotor when youre braking). It seems to only do it when I start off quickly from a stop too, like when I take it real easy driving like a grandma it will be better, but not like it used to be which was perfect. I checked the fluid level and its fine, and the color isnt even that dark. I think Ill change it and the filter anyway.

Heres one more thing- and my question: The center console above the tranny; particularly the gear selector area, the sides of the "hump" in the middle, the cupholder and the covered compartment all get pretty warm to the touch after I drive for over like 45min. I thought at first that it was just the sun heating it up, but today it was rainy and overcast and it still heated up like that.

Has anyone ever noticed theirs getting hot like that? I really dont think its normal. What could be causing my tranny to be overheating if thats the problem? Is there a way to check it- the CEL never comes on either. Thanks for lookin
Old 05-07-07, 09:36 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

all cars get the trans tunnel hot... perfectly normal...

your jerking thing sounds like misfiring under light load... cap/rotor/plugs/wires are a common cause of this...
Old 05-07-07, 09:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

use the proper forum pls

moved.
Old 05-09-07, 09:45 AM
Turbocoop
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering which forum to put it in, I guessed it was this one. Anyways-

I might have been way off with my diagnosis, I was changing my front brake pads today and on the front right one one of the pistons was locked up. I called some junkyards around here and nobody had a caliper so I just pried the piston back in until I can get a new caliper. I havent drove it it yet but Im hoping that is the problem. I dont understand why it would jerk like that only some of the time though. As for the misfire, I just put on new wires, plugs, and cap and rotor a couple months ago. It doesnt really feel like that either. Ill check back in later, its been hard to get to the computer lately