Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

chirping/squeaking sound...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 04:43 PM
underpsi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chirping/squeaking sound...HELP!!

Car is a 94 Sc300, I get a chirping/squeaking sound coming from somewhere up front in the serpentine belt area. Sound is not audible until some sort of load is placed on the car (If I have the air on and put it in Drive, or going in reverse, mostly with the air on at a stop)
I've put a whole new serpentine belt and belt tensioner on w/ pulley, and I tried replacing the clutch fan w/ another even though the one on the car looks brand new. What could cause this?
Could it be the alternator going out, would it cause that kind of a sound ??
Old 05-05-07, 05:01 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Crank pulley might cause it. It can happen in the beginning of acceleration.
Old 05-05-07, 05:46 PM
justenzo
Driver

prolly not the alternator.. i have the same sound.. i came to the conclusion that it is the ac pulley... see which side it coming from first and then try to localize the sound by spraying like 1 second squirts of wd40 on the pulleys... spray too much and it will get rid of the sound no matter which pulley is causing it, cause the serp belt will carry the wd40 everywhere... also if u handy, try taking off the serp belt and spinning all the pulleys... btw, the ac pulley is the bottom right corner one on my car sc300... should be the same 4 u, not sure.... if it is the ac pulley, then ur going to have to get a new ac assembly.. cost about 150-200... im just waiting on my to come in.... hope that helps....
Old 05-05-07, 06:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

we have a forum for this.

moved.
Old 05-05-07, 07:00 PM
underpsi
Driver School Candidate

I've tried localizing the sound but its so hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from I spun all the pulleys with the belt off as well to see if they caused any vibration noise, etc. Everything seemed to be ok, How hard would it be to replace the crank pulley or the whole a/c assembly. Also is there anyway I can tell for sure I don't want to change something out if its not gonna solve the problem.
Old 05-05-07, 11:43 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same noise (under the same conditions) on my SC400. I replaced my bearing on the belt tensioner pulley too, to no avail. I thought it might be the tensioner itself, but if you replaced that too, I guess that is not it. Trying to find the culprit with the belt off won't work since the chirping only occurs under load.

The only other easily-replacable bearing that might be causing this is the idler pulley, which is slightly above and to the right of the tensioner.

This has been discussed before in several threads- quite a few of us have this noise with no definitive answer as to what causes it. There will be quite a few smiles around here if this is ever solved (although the smiles won't be long-lived if the fix is expensive).

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 05-05-07 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 12:21 PM
underpsi
Driver School Candidate

Well on the 300 the idler pulley is part of the belt tensioner unit, so all that has been replaced. I'm really hoping its not the crank pulley, if so how would I be able to tell, will it wobble or be loose with all the belts off.

PerryinLA does your car make a quick sort of whistling sound right when you turn the car on?