Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: 6 speed or auto with stall and shift kit?
Auto trans with PI Dragon stall TC and shift kit
10.29%
6 speed Supra V160
89.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking about putting a 6 speed in my SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 06:08 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCoupe
v-160, but I'm a sucker for the stick and don't drag race.

lol, oh man, do I ever feel guilty now. I must have spent three times that making my toy go faster. I suppose the government should pass restrictions on how much people can spend on their hobbies and entertainment. I think I am going to sell the SC, send the money to Habitat for Humanity then buy some carbon credits and a Prius as penance for my moral and environmental sins. NOT.
Its not about the money being spent on something potentially destructive, its just that its a ton of money spent needlessly. For crying out loud, I can honestly say I and most others almost NEVER get to drive our completely stock SC400 to its full potential, whats the point of making it faster?

Arent you guys trying to pay for mortgages, kids educations, or just generally trying to save for retirement?
Old 05-06-07, 06:44 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
Its not about the money being spent on something potentially destructive, its just that its a ton of money spent needlessly. For crying out loud, I can honestly say I and most others almost NEVER get to drive our completely stock SC400 to its full potential, whats the point of making it faster?

Arent you guys trying to pay for mortgages, kids educations, or just generally trying to save for retirement?
Yep, Kids, Mortgages, Fiancée going to college (her mid life crises), Medical bills, Retirement, new killer computer, Insurance on 5 cars and two bikes, my boy’s hobby (nitro RC trucks), Child support, I could go on and on!

Bills, we all got them. I guess I’m just 40 year old kid with a salary capable of allowing me some flexibility in life.

almost NEVER get to drive our completely stock SC400 to its full potential, what’s the point of making it faster?
The stock SC400 is a nice car but fast isn’t in the words I would use to describe it. With my current mods I find plenty of opportunities to let it flex its muscle. What’s the point? Do you like the feeling you get when you walk down the street with a fine looking chick by your side and every guy is checking her out with envy? It’s Just like that! LOL

Its all in fun! $$$$Fun

Think of a SC400 as a Savings account, You keep putting money in it when you want to make a withdrawal , Hit the accelerator , Feels good!

I like it!
To each his own! If you have the means, Why not?
Its not like its totally lost money? This stuff holds a good portion of its value.
Old 05-06-07, 07:12 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by ScottURnot

The stock SC400 is a nice car but fast isn’t in the words I would use to describe it. With my current mods I find plenty of opportunities to let it flex its muscle. What’s the point? Do you like the feeling you get when you walk down the street with a fine looking chick by your side and every guy is checking her out with envy? It’s Just like that! LOL
ah yes.... I know the feeling and I can say, you totally got me there.

I'm 24 and my salary/commision doing what I do is considerable... especially for someone my age, but I owe it to myself to save and spend wisely. I drive an 06 corrolla for fuel savings, and a stock SC400 that looks drives and feels like new, and thats all Id ever do for it is maintain it to be perfect, neither faster nor slower.
Old 05-06-07, 07:20 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

ah yes.... I know the feeling and I can say, you totally got me there.

I'm 24 and my salary/commision doing what I do is considerable... especially for someone my age, but I owe it to myself to save and spend wisely. I drive an 06 corrolla for fuel savings, and a stock SC400 that looks drives and feels like new, and thats all Id ever do for it is maintain it to be perfect, neither faster nor slower.
Yeah, I might point out, My car is a toy only, I drive it to meets and cruise in it, maybe to work on nice days. My Daily driver is a Tercel but I drive 80 miles round trip for work every day and with gas prices my tercel is a great choice. A stock Sc is a great car to drive, I must admit, I loved my stock, I just love it more now.
Old 05-06-07, 07:22 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Yeah, I might point out, My car is a toy only, I drive it to meets and cruise in it, maybe to work on nice days. My Daily driver is a Tercel but I drive 80 miles round trip for work every day and with gas prices my tercel is a great choice. A stock Sc is a great car to drive, I must admit, I loved my stock, I just love it more now.
Id have to agree .... my corolla is my driven car roughly 90% of the time. Me, my gf, my mom, we all agree that my lexus is nothing more than a very fancy toy. Ive thought of getting a new GTO or somethign similar, but having two toys is just impracticle, especially when I drive the lexus 1-2 days a week.
Old 05-07-07, 06:17 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

whats the point of having a car that youve spent money on and not drive it the way that is the most fun? who cares if its expensive or not environmentally friendly or whatever, its about fun, and if you have already spent as much money as you have then you might as well swap to manual to have that much more fun, at least thats how i see it
Old 05-07-07, 06:36 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

5 grand gets u another sc400 haha

but DO IT! getrag FTW!
Old 05-07-07, 11:18 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Enjoy it this summer!
6 speed it this winter!

Adjust the cable on the throttle body to give you a harder shift for the time being.

Get us some E.T.'s at the drag strip baby!

Get us some HP / Tq Numbers too!

Then put in your 6 speed when you have time and theres nothing else to do this winter!

You have the coolest SC400 on Clublexus right now because it's running. One drag race video at least before the 6 speed swap from hell starts. It's gonna take months.
Old 05-08-07, 08:10 AM
hershsc400
Pole Position

Interesting society we live in where people are willing to spend 5,000 dollars on something to make a toy slightly faster.

im pertty new to the SCs but over the years I have learned that u gotta pay to play.... the parts that u want arent cheap this "hobby" aint cheap.... if u want a cheap hobby go collect stamps...
Old 05-08-07, 02:20 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Enjoy it this summer!
6 speed it this winter!

Adjust the cable on the throttle body to give you a harder shift for the time being.

Get us some E.T.'s at the drag strip baby!

Get us some HP / Tq Numbers too!

Then put in your 6 speed when you have time and theres nothing else to do this winter!

You have the coolest SC400 on Clublexus right now because it's running. One drag race video at least before the 6 speed swap from hell starts. It's gonna take months.
Yeah its a winter project for sure, I'm just trying to decide on dropping the cash. Its a lot of money!
Old 05-09-07, 07:01 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Why dont you just start and continue putting cash aside now until winter then make your decision. I think you will enjoy your car much more with the stick, it will be the cherry on top of an already impresive "sunday" ride.
Old 05-09-07, 11:53 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, a very old one, and one that is not in very good condition...You will easily double your $5,000 purchase price in getting that cheap, old, out of shape SC back to stock condition, you could also easily spend more....

Ryan

Originally Posted by vwynn
5 grand gets u another sc400 haha

but DO IT! getrag FTW!
Old 05-11-07, 08:44 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

I picking up a 6-speed tranny,Shifter, 6-speed LSD diff, driveshaft, Axles, Hubs, A-arms, well actually its a complete (41,000 mile) 97 TT transmission from clutch all the way back to the rear brakes. It includes full compltete subframe assembly, plus front spindles and TT brakes, Brake booster, clutch cylinder, and evrything in between.

Pretty much a Complete TT 6-speed drive-trane less the engine.

Watch soon for some extra stuff comming up for sale.
Old 05-26-07, 08:51 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Does anyone have a good parts list for the pedal assembly and console bezel? I have searched and I not having any luck. Also where is the best place to buy? Carson?
Old 05-26-07, 10:15 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

the part numbers were posted in the original 6 speed adapter thread. That Cowboy and MVP started

Quick Reply: Thinking about putting a 6 speed in my SC400