Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharger for my SC400

Old 12-03-01, 11:49 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger for my SC400

There is a guy here in town about to open up a big performance shop and he does a lot of custom work like mounting and such. He claims that he can put a supercharger on my car including parts and mounting brackets for just under $3000 that will produce 8psi. Is this a good price?
Old 12-03-01, 12:02 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats a great price, but seeing is believing. What is the quality of the unit? Could be a low quality unit, be careful and check it out. Ask for some specs.

Keith
Old 12-03-01, 12:24 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

well he's not sure yet. He just looked at my engine bay for a little while yesterday when he helped me and my friend install our springs. He'd be doing it as a favor...not so much to be making money off of it. But he didn't know what type of unit he would use.....just was trying to think of one that would fit. I was thinking maybe using a paxton or vortec or jackson racing if they would fit. Any suggestions of the type of supercharger I should be looking for? Later...Adam

If everything works out with mine would anyone else be interested? just curious. It'd be nice to see some sc400's with some forced induction and not just the 300's.
Old 12-03-01, 12:32 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use a ProCharger PSC-1, and you don't have to tap oil or water lines. It uses it's own internal oil. When you change your cars oil every 3k miles, you just drain and refill the PSC-1 too! Makes install MUCH MUCH easier and safer. You just have to be sure you change the oil in it at 3k.

After a ton of research, that's the one I was going to put on my SC3. For the features and performance it was a great price too, and easy to mount. You can get it that spins either way, and you can get an output that's straight or curved.

SR
Old 12-03-01, 02:05 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

thanks wiz...........how much do they run? Why'd u pick turbo?
Old 12-03-01, 02:41 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by abutler696
thanks wiz...........how much do they run? Why'd u pick turbo?
You should be able to find one for around $1500, maybe $1100 if you get one that's not polished finish.

I went with turbo, because I wanted a lot of power. You won't be able to get the same HP from a supercharger that you can get from a turbo. Also with a turbo, I can just unbolt it and put in a bigger one if I want MAJOR power....with a superc you'll hafta redo lots of crap.

SR
Old 12-03-01, 08:19 PM
808state
Driver

you might want to contact BLOWN_SC400 and healerhand to see how they are coming along with their supercharger project before you try it. seems like one of the major road blocks is getting the ecu to work with the supercharger. BLOWN_SC400's last post (how's it coming along anyway??? keep us posted!) said he was going to have some engineers reprogram his computer. although, if the aem ecu comes out with a sc4 application, it could solve the problem.

check out the gallery for pics of BLOWN_SC400's car for ideas on the supercharger location and intercooler.

yes, it would be nice to see a supercharged sc400 street car....we can dream, right?
Old 12-03-01, 08:51 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Hmmm.........I wonder if Chris(lexussc400.com) and his team of programmers can do it.
Old 12-03-01, 09:19 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

oh yeah.........and wiz or whoever can help............besides for the actual supercharger and the mounting brackets......what else do I need and how much do you estimate that will run me?

And wiz.........where'd u find that supercharger for only $1100?

Thanks, Adam
Old 12-04-01, 06:38 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Adam,

Chargers are not that expensive, its when you buy a "kit" with all the other realated necessities that the price goes up. A fair price for a charger is 1000$-1500$, now you need all the other parts- that will run 700-1200$ depending on what you need buy. And if you run an intercooler (highly recommended), that will up the price as well.

Contact blown_sc400 for what he needed for his uprade.

Keith
Old 12-04-01, 07:17 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by epk
CmputerWiz,
Off topic , but would the ATI Procharger PSC-1 fit a 1st Gen LS400?
Well you can custom fit it to any vehicle....it's just finding someone to do it...there in lies the problem. With the huge engine bay in the LS4, the install should be easy.

I think it was www.SuperChargersOnline.com that I found it before, but the p-1sc is almost $2k on there now. Hmmm.... I'll do some looking thru my old bookmarks and find where. You might want to call a local speedshop and ask too...

SR
Old 12-04-01, 04:33 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Well guys.......new update on researching supercharger for my sc4...........I just got off the phone with Mo and he said himself that he has come to the conclusion that there is no way to fit a supercharger into our car without doing a large custom job like blown_sc400's which will cost a ton! That is unless I could get a different hood which I wouldn't mind too much but others might. But I believe the problem everyone was having was the ECU working with the supercharger and Mo from Swiftracing told me that it could be done by his shop for around $450(that is the ECU tuning).
Old 12-04-01, 06:53 PM
SCV8
Instructor

All the research I've done has found that the systems that are the most well known,and reliable are nearly all boost limited to 6-6.5 psi.
These are also systems that work well with the stock ignition settings.
The ECU is just a pain to mess with,and would probably require some different injectors;totall pain.
What looked to me like a reasonable solution,was a product made by Simple Digital Systems that was made for boosted applications,and leaves the factory fuel system intact.
The controller has it's own MAP sensor,drives two additional injectors,uses two ***** to control the amount of enrichment,and when.
The MAF,and throttle body are mounted upstream of the compressor.
An output of 380hp is what I would expect,based on other systems gains.
That Procharger(ATI)is pretty cool.
Old 12-04-01, 07:20 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

well first off..........i'm just worried about one thing..........can it fit under the hood? if it can't.........there's not reason to be worrying about all other details.
Old 12-04-01, 10:01 PM
SCV8
Instructor

The only blower I'd consider for this car would be a centrifugal type,and the battery would probably have to go(in the trunk),but the hoodline would be unaffected.
I would like to hear from blown_sc,and find out what he's run into with the setup he has,it looks like the same as I'd described in the earlier post,but with an intercooler,and the MAF ,throttle body were pressurized,or downstream of the compressor.
Dinan has a blower for the 4.0 5 series V8,makes 384hp@6.5psi,fits under the hood.They went for a super clean(read;painfull)install with a carefully reprogrammed ECU,and different injectors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger for my SC400