Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Removing the EGR bar from the Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 05:42 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Removing the EGR bar from the Intake

I've never really done a write-up before, so please bear with me.

While I had my intake manifold apart, I noticed a big nasty bar through the middle of it, that was coming from the EGR inlet on the Y-plenum. I was planning on removing the EGR system, but with all the searching I did I couldn't find much of anything about that bar, just people installing blockoff plates.

With any luck, this will help people looking to take that out.

Finally, I found a thread from like 2001 on SupraForums where a guy had actually removed the bar. He said the combination of not having the EGR dump hot air in and the added airflow from removing it was about the same on the 'ol butt dyno as putting an intake on a stock car. He didn't have any pictures but gave a quick rundown of how he did it.

Here's my stock Y-plenum. If you note the screw above the opening (it's on the side, but the way I have it sitting), he suggested taking that out, then removing the freeze plug right there next to it. At that point, he said, the bar in the middle would slide out.

Well, my car's got 220K miles on it, and after we got the freeze plug out (which wasn't that fun), that bar wasn't going anywhere. So we improvised.

We took out the studs that the throttle body slides onto and set the piece on a concrete floor. Put a screwdriver up against the bar, and started hammering away. As it bent into an L the sides started to pull out of the holes they were in, and finally it came all the way out, giving us this:

I've got a blockoff plate being made for me, and since I don't plan on ever putting the EGR back together, I'm going to JB weld the holes on the inside and use a dremel to smooth them out to flow with the insides of the piece.

Doesn't take but 10-15 minutes to get the bar out, I'm not sure how long it'll take to get everything plugged up and ready to go back in the car.

Here's a comparison shot (I also used degreaser to try to clean up some of the carbon build-up inside):

Thanks for reading, and good luck to anybody who attempts this!
Old 04-12-07, 05:51 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After looking at it a little further, I may just try to find freeze plugs and plug the holes that way, as suggested by the thread that inspired me to try this.
Old 04-13-07, 06:32 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did that a couple of years ago, I dont run the stock intake anymore. I just made a cut down the middle of the pipe with a sawzall, the knocked the pieces out with a screwdriver. You are going to have to fill the hole with something. I used lead.
Otherwise you are going to get an awful whistle from air passing over the hole thats left behind once its running.
Its a good idea, removing that large pipe obstructing airflow.

gadgetSC
Old 04-13-07, 06:00 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this on an sc300 or 400?