Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My custom 6 puck setup!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 07:59 AM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would leave them if the height i sthe same as the stock mounts so the geometry will be the same. Thats like custom urethane mounts you will get more torque and throttle response actaully...
Old 04-16-07, 06:20 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twizted
... custom urethane mounts you will get more torque and throttle response actaully...
Say what?

That's a new one. I seriously doubt that you would ever be able to document any improvement what so ever in rwt or throttle response from a functional oem Supra mount.
Old 04-16-07, 06:24 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCoupe
Say what?

That's a new one. I seriously doubt that you would ever be able to document any improvement what so ever in rwt or throttle response from a functional oem Supra mount.
Well why do you think they have aftermarket mounts? some solid some urethane? May not be a big difference but like anything else...
Old 05-01-07, 03:58 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

im gonna try this how long of a bolt was that i got a arp bolt warehouse 2 mins from my house get me the length and width of the bolt
Old 05-08-07, 12:53 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

bleh so i just did this tiring since i did my clutch too. but anyways striaght forward just put a piece of wood under the oil pan and unbolt everthing. jack it up then drop the cross memeber it wont move too much since the steering linkage is still attached but it drops enough to get the mount out. went to home depot got a 5 inch 3/8 grade 8 bolt and drilled a 1/2 inchi hole down the middle of all of em. its rock hard. gonna be great on the track
Old 05-17-07, 09:14 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCoupe
An entertaining read, but I'd not be looking to save $120 to jury rig my engine mounts.

Perhaps they work, but I won't substitute pucks for a metal encased oem Toyota Supra direct bolt in that is about $60 each.

But I'm not about to tell you where to spend your hard earned money, but I'd be damned if I'd trust hockey pucks with the power my 2j's making and is capable of.

Word:
well, I was broke, and I needed engine mounts THAT DAY. it was the only viable solution, and it worked pretty well. I'll see how it feels a few months down the line. if they need replacng, then i'll do that, or perhaps get 100% solid monts, like in road racing cars.

until then, hockey puck FTW.
Old 05-17-07, 09:12 PM
Rotarytoy
Rookie

What about noise? Do you notice any more engine noise being transferred to the chassis. Just wondering because I've had failed tranny mounts make a hell of a lot of noise.
Old 09-02-08, 06:27 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

a year and a half later, and the hockey pucks are holding up as well as day one.
Old 09-02-08, 07:04 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

lol i just knew someone was going to do this sooner or later. great job, esp since its been a year and a half!
Old 09-02-08, 07:22 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

dud you officially are " GHETTO ", figures ... had to be the guy from jersey to do this, LOL i really gotta see this car now .... i think my mounts are shot too.
Old 09-02-08, 07:41 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davidv433
dud you officially are " GHETTO ", figures ... had to be the guy from jersey to do this, LOL i really gotta see this car now .... i think my mounts are shot too.
i'll give you a call later on this week.

if yours are shot, lets go to sports authority, and home depot, and for about 10 bucks, brand new mounts. Stiff, too.
Old 09-02-08, 08:21 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

yeah i've seen that trick done on alot of domestics and its works well its a old school thing never thought of trying that on my own car but hey cool to see a old trick brought back to life
Old 09-02-08, 09:36 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

was expecting a clutch lol... thats awesome.. iv seen that on alot of mustangs...
Old 09-02-08, 09:40 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

i bought is motor mounts thinking that they wouild work but they dont so i might have to do this
Old 09-03-08, 09:15 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did this about a week and a half ago when we put my motor back in the car. $6 in pucks, a few minutes of drilling, and I actually just used some LS1 head bolts (long enough and have the same thread pitch on the end as the stock bolts, so I could re-use the nut at the bottom) that we had laying around with some washers to drop through them.

To be honest I forgot we'd even put them in the car until I'd been driving it for a while and someone asked how it felt with the solid mounts. I don't notice any more vibration at idle than I did with my stock mounts that were barely held together anymore (and snapped in half when we started to pull the drivetrain), and once I'm moving the car just feels more...well...solid.

Quick Reply: My custom 6 puck setup!!!