Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OverHeating - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 07:27 AM
Ssee400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation OverHeating - Please Help!

Please help...

The car just all of a sudden started to over heat. It takes about 15 mins for it to go from cold to "pass the H". I had this happen in my Honda and I would "Floor" the gas pedal and it would cool down.

But in the Lexus, if I floor it, it just makes the situation worse. I went through 2 bottles of coolant already. It still overheats. Should I menchin that I replaced the car battery, but the battery that they sold me was slightly smaller than the one I had previously (that has nothing to do with the cooling system right? or does it?)

Idk whats going on but it suxs b/c I can't drive for more than 15mins w/o it overheating. I just continue to drive even though its pass the "H" yeah I know.

Thanks for your time and help,
-Lam
Old 04-03-07, 07:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Is the coolant just overflowing? Check thermostat. Check Radiator and hoses.
Old 04-03-07, 07:52 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, post s/b in the engine/performance forum.

Next, you mention that you have gone through 2 bottles of coolant???

Meaning that you fill up and you are losing coolant?? If that is the case, therein is your problem. You have a leak! As Cherp said, check all hose (including connections), your thermostat, radiator, etc. Remember, coolant travels through more that the two hoses you see in the fron of the car! You have coolant lines that run to the manifold and to the heater core behind the dash. Check those as well.
Old 04-03-07, 08:35 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266465

moved
Old 04-04-07, 07:26 AM
Ssee400
Driver School Candidate

Too late...The car went Kaboom last night.

I was driving down the road...The car overheated...Then I got pissed and overheated and kept on driving...My feet got really ****ing hot (I was wearing flip flops) then I let off the gas pedel Then KA BOOM.

Smoke billowing behind me and **** but the car was still running so I kept driving to find a "safe" place to park it for the time being.

Does anyone know what that Kaboom was? Not that it matters anymore, Im just curious of what it was

-Lam
Old 04-04-07, 07:43 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Ssee400

Too late...The car went Kaboom last night.

I was driving down the road...The car overheated...Then I got pissed and overheated and kept on driving...My feet got really ****ing hot (I was wearing flip flops) then I let off the gas pedel Then KA BOOM.

Smoke billowing behind me and **** but the car was still running so I kept driving to find a "safe" place to park it for the time being.

Does anyone know what that Kaboom was? Not that it matters anymore, Im just curious of what it was

-Lam

That "kaboom" was you saying goodbye to your car!!! Why in the hell would you keep driving it when it is overheating?????????

Lets see, possible problems now:

Blown Head Gasket
Ring damage
Pistons scored and gouged from detonation
Rod bearings shot
Cam seizure
Coolant probably got into the crankcase....so say goodbye to the bottom half of your motor.

I can keep going.

If you were just going to throw away the car, I would have gladly taken it off your hands!
Old 04-04-07, 08:24 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a motor for the car in maryland, if you need it. selling for cheap.
Old 04-04-07, 06:30 PM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swap the motor and radiator flush the heater core while you have the engine out by shooting some water the each line get all the junk out of the core.
Old 04-05-07, 12:46 AM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

wow i understand being upset at problems with the car, ive had my fair share but shiet, kept her goin after overheating?
Old 04-05-07, 11:39 AM
Ssee400
Driver School Candidate

Yeah...

I know Im an idiot...Should I mention that my car sounded like a Diesel truck while I was idling? does anyone knows what that sound was?

Thanks for your help guys,
-Lam
Old 04-05-07, 12:25 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

the sound was your f'ed up motor....time to either part the car out or buy a new motor and radiator...
Old 04-05-07, 01:03 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Ssee400
Yeah...

I know Im an idiot...Should I mention that my car sounded like a Diesel truck while I was idling? does anyone knows what that sound was?

Thanks for your help guys,
-Lam
Valves. More than likely most (or all) were unseated. Rattling around in there like crazy. Unburned fuel spewing through the exhaust outlet in the head. ugggghhhh. Bad.
Old 04-05-07, 01:40 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

wow...

i'd say if you decided not to stop DRIVING THE CAR when it sounded like crap and the needle was past H, then you probably don't want to try to replace the engine. It was probably a $10 thermostat or a leak in the radiator. The $10 thermostat would have prevented the coolant from flowing, making it boil over, which would explain the coolant overflow. Or you could have a leak and lost the coolant that way which would have made it not possible to cool the engine.

Next time, STOP DRIVING when it gets past H.

I had this happen to me, engine overheated, let it cool, drove it to a quick little fix it station (i was on the interstate in the middle of nowhere). And had the thermostat replaced, car was good as new. These engines are tough, but they can't run without cooling!!!!
Old 04-05-07, 07:47 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Another one bites the dust. Driving when "pissed off" never ends well.
Old 04-08-07, 12:52 AM
Boostedhat
Rookie

Your diesel truck like sound could also be coming from your blown head gasket. The coolant is leaking into the the spark plug cylinders, and your car is probably misfiring. Be a sport next time, and show some love to your lexus.