Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Power Steering Pump...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 08:44 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts
Exclamation 1JZ Power Steering Pump...

by any chance i tried looking it up by the search button but no luck.. anyone ever try to change there power steering pump on their 1j.. and if so what model did they grab it from or would it still be a 2j just modded a little?.. please let me know! thanks...
Old 03-30-07, 08:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

You missed the engine forum. Moved for you.
Old 03-31-07, 09:52 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

damn almost 50 views and no answer yet??
Old 03-31-07, 10:04 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

supra 2jzgte p.s. pump.............................
Old 04-01-07, 09:13 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

i changed my powersteering pump on my 1jz and used a used power steering pump off a 2jzgte. THe **** bolted right up.

Hope this answers your questions
Old 04-03-07, 12:15 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

thanks so much fellas im literally going to go to the toyo dealership by the end of the day!
Old 12-14-07, 09:15 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping an old thread due to power steering pump issues on my 1JZ.

So I noticed the infamous whine from the power steering pump last night. I have the 1JZ so I started stressing a little bit. But don't fret, CL to the rescue.

I did notice last night that my fluid was low, but no signs of leaking. There is a possibility that my vacuum assist may be pulling too much fluid. I'll check it.

My reservoir has the lines angled a little strangely. I'll ensure no kinks.

After seeing this thread, people state that the Supra 2JZ-GTE PS pump will work. However, the Supra pump is the exact same part number as the SC300 2JZ-GE pump. It sounds like all of them are the same?

But the main question is I have is: I pulled the PS cap off last night while the car was running to check for bubbles. As soon as I pulled the cap off, PS fluid shot up and spooged out, but no air in the system. It was almost like an ejaculation from the reservoir. Any ideas on this? Kinked hose? Dirty reservoir filter? Have you experienced this?

BTW, a simple search of power steering pump problems yielded about 60,000 threads. Too bad nobody searches.
Old 12-14-07, 10:32 AM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

My 1J does the exact same thing as stated above
Old 12-15-07, 08:55 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

my 1jz PS leaks fluid, the other day, i started hearing a weird noise from it so i checked the fluid and it was almost bone dry, so i filled it back up and good to go but its still annoying that it leaks. I read on soarercentral that this is a somewhat common problem
Old 12-16-07, 04:25 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Update #1

I noticed a small leak at the inlet pipe to the power steering pump from the reservoir. I removed the outlet pipe, replaced the o-ring and put a new clamp on the hose. The leak looked to be resolved. I filled the reservoir back up and started the car up.

The whining went down a little bit but came back with a vengenance. While on stands and turning the wheel to remove air, I noticed that the system started bubbling at the reservoir and the rack was skipping as I turned the steering wheel back and forth like it was catching and grabbing.

Put the car down and tried turning and thepump was screaming out loud ! At that point, i decided it's time to get a new pump.

After doing a little research with Travis, we found out that the pump on my 1JZ-GTE is the same as the pumps on 95+ Lexus SC300. It looks like the picture below. I will also plug the air compensation valve as shown by OLT with a M14x1.50 drain plug just to ensure air is not making its way into the system.
Carson Toyota OEM Link for Power Steering Pump

Sucks I started the car up to move it. Even without the belt and pump on the car, fluid spooged over my entire garage and driveway from turning the rack.

I just hope it's not the RACK!

Old 12-16-07, 10:13 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1jz pump and any 2jz pumps are same. i just gave my buddy with a mk3 1jz supra a PS pump off a 95 sc300. i never had the bubbling problem so i can help you there. the only time my PS fluid came out is when i was at the track drifting and it boiled over. good luck with the fix
Old 12-20-07, 10:55 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Update #2

Okay. I got the new pump installed along with the vacuum assist plugged up with a M14x1.50 drain plug with copper washer. Started the car up and was getting the same noise from the pump. I then began to get the air out of the system by turning the wheel back and forth with the car on jack stands. When I pulled the cap, the fluid was trying to spooge out as it did before. Oh no!

I then disconnected the lines at the rack and pinion and flushed the entire system with air. I was able to get the entire system flushed. I connected the lines back up and filled the reservoir. After the second fill, I noticed the sound was back and the reservoir was spoogin again.

So the conclusion I've made after tonight's work is that the old pump was okay since the new pump is acting the same way. At this point, the only thing left is the rack and pinion.

Any insight guys?
Old 12-22-07, 07:24 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

The tempreture causes this problem . When its hot the pumps works fine when its cold it makes a whiney noise sometimes. Its not the pump or the rack from my experience which is odd .The best thing to try do is wait until the temp is warm and try turning the wheel left to right with the cap off .Worked fine for me . 9 out of 10 1j's i've seen had a leak .Im guessing the leak helps to get air out when the system builds pressure .Ive had a small leak since ive owned these cars and never had air causing problem .Imo I Rather live with bad o ring than having a noisey a$$ system .
Old 12-22-07, 04:10 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Check below the avatar. I live in Sunny AZ. Sunny and 65 still, everyday, It's not temperature.

The issue is peculiar because I barely drive the car. Just one day after about a week of sitting in the garage, the pump started whining with no change in temperature. I opened the cap to the reservoir and fluid started shooting out as if the system was clogged. It was as if the pump was building pressure but the fluid had no where to go, and the fluid was backing out through the pump feed line.

After blasting the lines out with air, I know the lines are fine. It's definitely the rack, it's the only thing left.

I'm also going to plug the sensor down at the pressure side at the rack. No wire connected! Remnant of the swap I assume.