Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Power Steer leak.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 10:10 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Power Steer leak.

I had a bad leak at the pump that was drowning my alternator. I fixed that, mostly, by replacing the little aluminum seals/washers on both sides of the high pressure line and reefing on the nut. I said "mostly" cause it is now a slow seep that is just, after a week, reaching the starter.

There is a pressure sensing valve on that line that increases idle speed if the pump starts putting out high pressure as in steerling lock. Does anyone have info on this switch/ valve leaking? Sombody else was here befor as that valve has teflon tape on it and I think that is a factory no-no.

Got help?

Thanks

John
Old 03-20-07, 06:05 AM
jeromeg1
Driver School Candidate

I recently did a flush on my 95 sc400. It was nasty and brown, like engine oil when it is supposed to be red atf. It was slowly leaking from the pump. almost ruining my alternator. I did a flush, and with it, I included half a quart of prestone atf with STOP LEAK. No more drips....I just did it over the weekend....hopefully, the mixture of prestone stop leak and new fluid will do the trick...
Old 04-22-07, 11:33 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default "almost ruined alt"

Jerome,

My alt started acting up after I fixed my leak. Seems the brushes had soaked up atf. The alt repair shop showed me my sliprings and they were worn down to the plastic underneath them. Ruined! Guy said that after they get oil on them, the brushes act like little "cutting tools". The slip rings are replaceable and cost $10 or so. The brushes are $15 and come as a little assembly. It cost me $40 to get the sliprings cut off and the new one epoxied on. I got a deal and a half and have a new friend.

I was told that the alt we have is one of the best he has ever seen. There is evidently no event in recorded history of those bearings ever going bad. Don't let anybody replace them unless you can hear the bearing grinding or feel it grab when you spin it. They cost a bunch.

Good luck Bud

John