Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New 95 SC400 Owner - Need Perf. Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 06:54 PM
quickspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 95 SC400 Owner - Need Perf. Mods

Hi Everyone. I just purchased a 95 SC400. Great car. I am not new to mod'ing automobiles but I respect others that have been there done that. So I want to ask the online guru's here.....besides a supercharger or turbo add....what are the best mods? I am keying in on exhaust, intake, and electronics. To be more specific, I am thinking about dumping the cats, doing an injen air intake, and a chip. Am I going in the right direction? Please help.

Thank you for having me.
Old 02-24-07, 06:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

yeah you are, a full exhaust is the first thing to do try to find some used headers if you cant afford new ones. dont do a intake just do a BFI, search for BFI intakes if ur not fammiliar with it. that should keep you busy for a while. and most of all do basic maint, first.
Old 02-24-07, 07:54 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
yeah you are, a full exhaust is the first thing to do try to find some used headers if you cant afford new ones. dont do a intake just do a BFI, search for BFI intakes if ur not fammiliar with it. that should keep you busy for a while. and most of all do basic maint, first.
word, and the bfi is amazing
Old 02-24-07, 08:13 PM
quickspeed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

What brand/type of headers? BFI? Is that a homemade mod?
Old 02-24-07, 08:52 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quickspeed
What brand/type of headers? BFI? Is that a homemade mod?
BFI is definitely from scratch. Enhances the stock manifold. Sounds amazing. Makes the car more fun to drive. Increases power marginally.

Exhaust is restrictive. Definitely power lost as a result of the stock set up. Tons of information on search. Some topics from the recent past were rather informative.

Headers:
(1) S&S: shorty style, nice primary tube diameter, good value
http://www.headermania.com/mm5/merch...ory_Code=LEXUS

(2) Tex's: long tube style, dyno proven in Australia, sweet looking design
http://rushimports.com.au/index.php?...products_id=22

(3) EKTuning: mid-range tube length, beautiful design, sketchy company/webpage
http://www.ektuning.com/cgi-bin/cp-a...xussc400header

----------------
Other popular mods include:
- Aftermarket torque converters from Precision Industries to increase the stall speed of the transmission and get more kick off the line.
- An aftermarket LSD or a 93-98 Supra LSD (straight swap) is a good pairing with the torque converter so you don't shred the tires and maximize power to the road off the line.
- Aftermarket suspension to offer a more aggressive stance and ride.
- Don't forget wheels and tires. You have to look good while you are cruising around.

The LSD/TC mod is mostly for the more hardcore performance buffs. Well, the true hardcore performance buffs are dropping $25k to rebuild the motor, fabricate custom manifolds, get a pair of turbos, and let the Lexus V8 show its true colors.

Intake/Exhaust/Suspension/Wheels/Tires is a very common modification path among CL's SC400 crowd.
Old 02-24-07, 09:12 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

To be more specific, I am thinking about dumping the cats, doing an injen air intake, and a chip. Am I going in the right direction? Please help.
Just read this more carefully....

The cats are quite decent in design. They are not going to hinder performance a ton. However, if you go with headers and are willing to roll the dice with the authorities, then a cat-less exhaust will definitely present you more power potential. The most restrictive points in the exhaust system are the headers and the Y-to-Y section in the middle of the exhaust taking you from the cats to the third cat/resonator all the way to the mufflers. There is lots of crush-bent pipe at close to 90-degree angles. This is not good for air flow.

A chip is not a bad idea. Definitely would suggest to do this after the intake/exhaust to minimize the time spent calibrating your tuning. After the basic engine mods are already in place, the tuning only has to be done once...until you turbo/supercharge into a horsepower beast.

A BFI will do what an Injen intake does, but for way less money and it offers you the chance to get your hands dirty.
Old 02-25-07, 10:12 AM
quickspeed
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for great information. There seems to be wide range of exhaust combinations here for the 400. I am not adverse to exhaust noise, I fact I prefer a real "throaty" exhaust. From what I'm reading, a header package into a high flow cat, then into straight thru mufflers is the way to go?

Thanks again for all of the great information.
Old 02-25-07, 12:26 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

im putting on 2 magnaflows, magnaflow x pipe and new 2.25 piping from the cats all the way back, deleting the rest.

ill let you know how it feels and how it sounds if you want. (thursday)
Old 02-25-07, 01:00 PM
quickspeed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
im putting on 2 magnaflows, magnaflow x pipe and new 2.25 piping from the cats all the way back, deleting the rest.

ill let you know how it feels and how it sounds if you want. (thursday)
Perfect. What is the total $ of this mod?
Old 02-25-07, 01:01 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Thanks for great information. There seems to be wide range of exhaust combinations here for the 400. I am not adverse to exhaust noise, I fact I prefer a real "throaty" exhaust. From what I'm reading, a header package into a high flow cat, then into straight thru mufflers is the way to go?

Thanks again for all of the great information.
If you want throaty, I caution you away from gigantic pipe diameters which can make things obnoxiously raspy. 2.25" is a good size for a 250+hp engine with a dual exhaust. Any larger actually hinders flow as exhaust gasses lose momentum as they scatter in a larger diameter pipe. A more properly sized pipe will allow exhaust gasses to acquire momentum and flow through more effectively. The smaller pipe will offer more reflection for sound waves as well, deepening and softening the tone of the exhaust.

A straight through muffler will give you that authoritative and throaty note. Headers to cats to a balance pipe (X-pipe preferred for performance) to your mufflers will make your V8 absolutely scream in comparison to the tame stock sound.

If you are going with headers, you might strongly consider the S&S headers. They are in the states, not too costly, and good for the UZ series engine. Check out these dyno results on an SC430:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=66

High flowing cats will keep you flowing and keep you legal. If you are going with headers, you might as well get the entire system completed all at once and save the labor fees. Headers to high flow cats to X-Pipe to straight-through mufflers with 2.25" piping throughout is pretty much gospel for an SC400 exhaust. Minor tweaks for your personal preferences here or there might gear your performance or exhaust note one way or another, but it can be about that simple.

I definitely suggest trying to keep things in the stock locations. That is to say, keep the cats near the headers, the X-pipe just to the rear of the tranny, and the mufflers in the stock locations. The stock system was designed carefully, and the length of the exhaust system matters greatly for performance and sound (to eliminate droning in certain rpm ranges).
Old 02-25-07, 01:21 PM
quickspeed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blizzy
If you want throaty, I caution you away from gigantic pipe diameters which can make things obnoxiously raspy. 2.25" is a good size for a 250+hp engine with a dual exhaust. Any larger actually hinders flow as exhaust gasses lose momentum as they scatter in a larger diameter pipe. A more properly sized pipe will allow exhaust gasses to acquire momentum and flow through more effectively. The smaller pipe will offer more reflection for sound waves as well, deepening and softening the tone of the exhaust.

A straight through muffler will give you that authoritative and throaty note. Headers to cats to a balance pipe (X-pipe preferred for performance) to your mufflers will make your V8 absolutely scream in comparison to the tame stock sound.

If you are going with headers, you might strongly consider the S&S headers. They are in the states, not too costly, and good for the UZ series engine. Check out these dyno results on an SC430:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=66

High flowing cats will keep you flowing and keep you legal. If you are going with headers, you might as well get the entire system completed all at once and save the labor fees. Headers to high flow cats to X-Pipe to straight-through mufflers with 2.25" piping throughout is pretty much gospel for an SC400 exhaust. Minor tweaks for your personal preferences here or there might gear your performance or exhaust note one way or another, but it can be about that simple.

I definitely suggest trying to keep things in the stock locations. That is to say, keep the cats near the headers, the X-pipe just to the rear of the tranny, and the mufflers in the stock locations. The stock system was designed carefully, and the length of the exhaust system matters greatly for performance and sound (to eliminate droning in certain rpm ranges).
Thx, this is exactly what I am going to do. Now if I could just get some detailed plans on the BFI. Or would it be just as good to do the Injen? What is the best ECU mod?
Old 02-25-07, 02:33 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

Thx, this is exactly what I am going to do. Now if I could just get some detailed plans on the BFI. Or would it be just as good to do the Injen? What is the best ECU mod?
http://www.planetsoarer.com/BFIDIY/BFIDIY.html
http://www.planetsoarer.com/BFIHardw...IHardware.html
http://www.planetsoarer.com/BFI3/bfi3.htm
http://reepa.com/bfi.htm
Old 02-25-07, 03:12 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Would the Injen be just as good? Perhaps. Would the BFI cost a lot less and allow you the chance to source all the parts yourself? Definitely.

The BFI is definitely cheaper and at least as good. It is also fun to make and much more rewarding when completed. It allows the stock air filter set-up to be maintained which makes replacements down the line much easier.
Old 02-25-07, 05:04 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect. What is the total $ of this mod?
$260ish for 2 mufflers and xpipe (best offers on ebay)
usually cost anywhere between $200-$350 for piping and install.
Old 02-25-07, 05:33 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
$260ish for 2 mufflers and xpipe (best offers on ebay)
usually cost anywhere between $200-$350 for piping and install.
make sure you find a mandrel bending exhaust shop if you are willing to pay the extra money and are serious about the performance from an exhaust without inherent restrictions at each bend. they are not easy to locate and you may have to do some driving to get it done right, but it is probably worth it given the research you have already invested into designing the proper exhaust.

Quick Reply: New 95 SC400 Owner - Need Perf. Mods