Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

i searched its too late to search more! help 2jzgte

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-07, 11:44 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post i searched its too late to search more! help 2jzgte

ok so dont bash me too hard on this imma make it quick 1994 sc300 5spd manual...thats my car.... 1994 2jz-gte auto tranny vs. 1994 2jz-gte 5spd manual tranny wont matter what i get cus i want my car to stay manual so why spend more money and get the manual tranny that comes with the 2jz-gte that i found...its like 1000$ more! thanks for help
Old 02-14-07, 12:08 AM
ichibanjap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the GTE comes w/ a 6spd and is alot more than 1k over an auto swap. If you found it for only that much more go with the 6spd. The 6spd is well pretty indestructable for lack of a better word. Even if you want to keep your 5spd, for some reason, you could still sell the 6spd for over 3k easily. Auto's will only get you 2-400 depending on the condition.
Old 02-14-07, 03:24 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ichibanjap
the GTE comes w/ a 6spd and is alot more than 1k over an auto swap. If you found it for only that much more go with the 6spd. The 6spd is well pretty indestructable for lack of a better word. Even if you want to keep your 5spd, for some reason, you could still sell the 6spd for over 3k easily. Auto's will only get you 2-400 depending on the condition.

wait...the engine on the site i saw was a GTE 5spd manual for 3999$

and then a GTE AUTO for 2999$ i have a sc300 5spd manual cant i just drop the 2999$ GTE in my car and use my current 5spd tranny and just not use the auto tranny at all? or am i asking a dumb question? lol
Old 02-14-07, 07:16 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Default auto vs manual

Of course you can use your existing manual trans/clutch/bellhousing... the engine really won't know what kind of trans is on the other end, and the fitment is the same. Just be aware, that to really make this work effortlessly, you will really need to get the Supra ECU along with the deal... I assume that and the harness will come with the engine? Otherwise, plan on another $1500 or so for those 2 new items. Lots of other accessories you'll need from the GTE, so make sure you get all you need... intercooler, power steering pump, fan, etc., etc.
Old 02-14-07, 07:31 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by philauldridge
Of course you can use your existing manual trans/clutch/bellhousing... the engine really won't know what kind of trans is on the other end, and the fitment is the same. Just be aware, that to really make this work effortlessly, you will really need to get the Supra ECU along with the deal... I assume that and the harness will come with the engine? Otherwise, plan on another $1500 or so for those 2 new items. Lots of other accessories you'll need from the GTE, so make sure you get all you need... intercooler, power steering pump, fan, etc., etc.
oh yes of course it wud come with it no doubt about it...so thats basically it im pretty much set for that swap...i mean if all goes well with that i know for a fact they come with it...i was just unsure wether i cud use my existing transmission considering some supras are 6spd i dont know the deal on that wether u gotta make it 6spd on some years of the engine or something idk maybe u can help me on that last thing
Old 02-14-07, 07:38 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mortal300
wait...the engine on the site i saw was a GTE 5spd manual for 3999$

and then a GTE AUTO for 2999$ i have a sc300 5spd manual cant i just drop the 2999$ GTE in my car and use my current 5spd tranny and just not use the auto tranny at all? or am i asking a dumb question? lol
The 2JZ-GTE only went into the MKIV Supra and the Aristo (the JDM GS). The Supra came with the famous Getrag 6 speed and the Aristo came with either a 4 speed or 5 speed automatic.

If a site is advertising a 5 speed with a 2JZ-GTE, I would be very hesitant and ask a LOT of questions. Also, keep in mind that the 2JZ-GTE with an automatic may be from an Aristo. The JDM 2JZ-GTE had ceramic turbos instead of steel, 440cc injectors instead of 550cc, and weaker camshafts. The output is a good 30hp less and it takes a few more bucks to really let it loose.

Your SC300 already has a W58 with a bell housing that is plug and play with the JZ series of engines. The limitation is the durability of the W series tranny. Expect reliability to start getting shaky at 400+hp with the stock tranny.

I would investigate NA-T set-ups. Guys are putting 2JZ-GTE 320+hp numbers down with relative ease. It sounds like you just want a turbo for some boost, and the 2JZ-GE that is in your car might be more capable than you are giving it credit for.
Old 02-14-07, 07:54 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blizzy
The 2JZ-GTE only went into the MKIV Supra and the Aristo (the JDM GS). The Supra came with the famous Getrag 6 speed and the Aristo came with either a 4 speed or 5 speed automatic.

If a site is advertising a 5 speed with a 2JZ-GTE, I would be very hesitant and ask a LOT of questions. Also, keep in mind that the 2JZ-GTE with an automatic may be from an Aristo. The JDM 2JZ-GTE had ceramic turbos instead of steel, 440cc injectors instead of 550cc, and weaker camshafts. The output is a good 30hp less and it takes a few more bucks to really let it loose.

Your SC300 already has a W58 with a bell housing that is plug and play with the JZ series of engines. The limitation is the durability of the W series tranny. Expect reliability to start getting shaky at 400+hp with the stock tranny.

I would investigate NA-T set-ups. Guys are putting 2JZ-GTE 320+hp numbers down with relative ease. It sounds like you just want a turbo for some boost, and the 2JZ-GE that is in your car might be more capable than you are giving it credit for.
thats the best answer and reply post to any of my questions ive got since i started this site...im on here like 5 hours of the day i get so bored i just wanna learn more and more...damn man thanks...except i think i had a type.....the site is offering a 2jz-gte from a supra with ecu wireing harness etc etc etc..and a 5spd manual tranny for 3999$

its 2299$ for the auto tranny hopefully that cleared things up PM me if u wanna see the site and yes they are both JDM engines will that cause me problems in the swap? another quick question...my current sc300 is 135k miles =[ im very sketchy on putting a turbo idk how long it will last...i know someone with it that did his for al thogether 5k for boostlogic 5k done thats installation by himself including exhaust fmic intake etc.... thanks bud
Old 02-14-07, 08:38 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

they are both JDM engines will that cause me problems in the swap?
I can't comment totally on this specific question, but i don't think so.

another quick question...my current sc300 is 135k miles =[ im very sketchy on putting a turbo idk how long it will last...i know someone with it that did his for al thogether 5k for boostlogic 5k done thats installation by himself including exhaust fmic intake etc.... thanks bud
A compression test would give you all the information you need about the health of your engine and the boost it could handle.
Old 02-14-07, 09:25 PM
ichibanjap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the best answer and reply post to any of my questions ive got since i started this site...im on here like 5 hours of the day i get so bored i just wanna learn more and more...damn man thanks...except i think i had a type.....the site is offering a 2jz-gte from a supra with ecu wireing harness etc etc etc..and a 5spd manual tranny for 3999$

its 2299$ for the auto tranny hopefully that cleared things up PM me if u wanna see the site and yes they are both JDM engines will that cause me problems in the swap? another quick question...my current sc300 is 135k miles =[ im very sketchy on putting a turbo idk how long it will last...i know someone with it that did his for al thogether 5k for boostlogic 5k done thats installation by himself including exhaust fmic intake etc.... thanks bud
Or you could get lucky and someone doesn't know what they have, my friend has found several nice deals because they didn't have a clue. For a jdm motor w/ an auto that's about right, but for the other one if that's a 6spd that's dirt cheap. The tranny its self goes for 3k and up.

The main problems w/ the JDM swap is cutting and extending the harness, other than that it's the turbos, cams, and injectors.
Old 02-14-07, 09:39 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ichibanjap
The main problems w/ the JDM swap is cutting and extending the harness
Why does America always have to do this differently? Why couldn't we all just pick either LHD or RHD from the moment cars were mass produced. Then, this kind of b/s wouldn't have to be an issue.

I suppose if you are good at engine wiring or know someone who is, this is not an issue...but, still.