Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Reliability of a SC300 5 speed with a turbo kit??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-07, 06:36 PM
1992 SC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability of a SC300 5 speed with a turbo kit??????

Hey fellow Lexus owners!!!!! I have a very important question that I need help on. How would you compare the reliability on a stock SC300 2JZGE with a turbo kit boosting about 8psi to a Twin turbo 2JZGTE swap pushing 17psi???? I know the prices diffrences and all of that I just want to know how reliable is a SC300 with a turbo kit on a totally stock block and head for a everyday driver???? and how long would a car like this last??? if you have one please tell me how long you have had the turbo kit, how many miles are on your car, and a quick discription on how you drive the car if you have babied it or you run it like a turbo???? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!
Old 02-13-07, 06:38 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

put this up in the performance section of the sc forum. also try the search too
Old 02-13-07, 06:38 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

wrong section

performance...
Old 02-13-07, 07:08 PM
gario
Rookie

^not-helpful, useless post just like 75% of all posts on this forum.

It is frustrating searching for basic questions and coming up with 13 pages of garbage.

Anyway, the reliability of any motor depends on its current condition and how well it was maintained throughout its lifetime. Additionally, the quality of the turbo and the kit play an important factor in reliability as certain ebay turbos are poorly superglued together by 14 year old kids. Then how you manage air/fuel mixture will affect performance/reliability. Basically, to sum it all up, your question is pretty broad and there are many different factors that can potentially blow up your motor. However knowing the 2jzge as a very strong and reliable motor, I would be all for a turbo kit, done correctly of course. if you're on a budget, a turbo kit may not be a bad idea.
Old 02-13-07, 07:18 PM
1992 SC300
Pole Position

I put it in that section at first but no one answered. because not many people go thru there. BTW Im not on a budget but is it worth saving $3K and turbo charging a stock motor that will have less power than just going with the 2JZGTE SWAP???
Old 02-13-07, 07:28 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Please take a second to read my SIG
Turbo charging a NA is never a good idea. Especially, if your going for reliability. I suggest you save some more money and get a front clip with a turbo engine. Yes you can get away with adding a turbo kit to your N/A. But your putting more stress on the engine. High compression+ positive manifold pressure=explosion. Sure you can get away with adding a turbo or twin for a WHILE. But in the long run, it may not be worth it.
Old 02-13-07, 07:45 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

If you were going to just put a basic turbo kit on and knew that youi would forever be satisfied with 7psi, then a stock motor might be a good solution. I personally do not think under this low boost assuming proper tuning that the life of the engine would be substantially shortened.

But in the real world most people are not satisfied with 7 psi of boost for long. They wind up kicking it up a couple of pounds every so often untill they break something. So assuming you have the cash to do it then do it right the first time and go for the GTE. It will save you much money, pain and heartache over not too long a period of time.
Old 02-13-07, 07:50 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2jznat has 600whp on a NA-T, going strong too.
Old 02-13-07, 07:56 PM
gario
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sc400Red95
Please take a second to read my SIG
Turbo charging a NA is never a good idea. Especially, if your going for reliability. I suggest you save some more money and get a front clip with a turbo engine. Yes you can get away with adding a turbo kit to your N/A. But your putting more stress on the engine. High compression+ positive manifold pressure=explosion. Sure you can get away with adding a turbo or twin for a WHILE. But in the long run, it may not be worth it.
I disagree, If you do it right, it is not a bad idea in terms of efficiency. How is turboing an NA never a good idea? If your installation and stup is done correctly, you'll have a motor no less efficient than your 2jzge. Your 2jz won't "explode" that easily.

However the ge CR is about 9.6 whereas the gte is at 8.6. There are aftermarket 3mm headgaskets you can buy to somewhat compensate for the high compression. You'll definitely hit higher marks with your money if you go the gte route. If you want a mild low boost application, with the right injectors and tune you can have a reliable/efficient gain in HP.

Last edited by gario; 02-13-07 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-13-07, 08:18 PM
gario
Rookie

www.clubna-t.com if you're leaning towards the turbo-ing the na.... you won't find too much tech on that here. This forum is good for changing led bulbs and tail lights. www.supraforums.com is also a decent forum on na-t vs gte... there's millions of comparison threads out there.

http://www.funkyard.i8.com/Supra/NA-T.html 320hp on 7psi with stock internals, not my car, but a very good resource.
Old 02-13-07, 08:27 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

gario

the reason why he prob has trouble finding a response is because people post stuff like this in the wrong section. if people posted in the right spot then it would be easier.

this isn't your website, and respecting the mods for doing all this work to organize this site by following the rules isn't asking much.

i wasn't gonna say anything until you called out mine and yello's posts
Old 02-13-07, 08:49 PM
gario
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lucky SC
gario

the reason why he prob has trouble finding a response is because people post stuff like this in the wrong section. if people posted in the right spot then it would be easier.

this isn't your website, and respecting the mods for doing all this work to organize this site by following the rules isn't asking much.

i wasn't gonna say anything until you called out mine and yello's posts
Yes, This isn't my website, but how am I disrespecting the mods? I think the mods here are doing a great job, and they've been very vigilant in moving threads and moderating as a whole. Being recently joined as a CL member I've noticed very knowledgable mods like OLT who are valuable assets to CL.

If the OP posted in the wrong spot, a mod will move it, and tell them to search if needed. As a bandwidth user, I don't believe it's fair to take up bandwidth to repeatedly tell someone to search. Also the search function in this forum brings up a plethora of useless threads and posts such as yours, telling people to search, and search and search. If you're not going to post something constructive and relevant to the OP's post, then don't postwhor3 and slow the site down.

Tell me how im disrespecting the mods luckysc
Old 02-13-07, 09:57 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Originally Posted by gario
I disagree, If you do it right, it is not a bad idea in terms of efficiency. How is turboing an NA never a good idea? If your installation and stup is done correctly, you'll have a motor no less efficient than your 2jzge. Your 2jz won't "explode" that easily.

However the ge CR is about 9.6 whereas the gte is at 8.6. There are aftermarket 3mm headgaskets you can buy to somewhat compensate for the high compression. You'll definitely hit higher marks with your money if you go the gte route. If you want a mild low boost application, with the right injectors and tune you can have a reliable/efficient gain in HP.

Yes i said that adding a turbo to a NA motor isn't the best idea. But he never once said anything about adding internal mods. Please don't jump ahead of the guy/gal. He clearly stated ADDING A TURBO to a NA motor. Sure you can add a turbo to a GE. Sure sometimes the engine holds up alot of power. But sometimes isn't all the time. Sure there are a hand full of people making 600+ on a NA motor. But does he has supporting mods. Not just bolt-ons. This post is about adding a turbo kit to a GE. Not adding a turbo kit + head gasket+forged pistons+ forged connecting rods+ GTE polished crank shaft, shot peen, balanced, and has been knife edged. Sure it can be done. But in this post and for Sc300 question. Is the reliability of the Ge going to suffer.
Old 02-13-07, 10:04 PM
gario
Rookie

I know, when did I ever say anything about forged internals? If you check out that 320hp 7psi na-t, you can clearly see he achieved those... with stock internals. All that was done to the motor itself.. was some arp bolts bolted on and a headgasket...
and like I said before, the reliability depends on the quality of the turbo kit and components used to build and tune it.
Old 02-13-07, 10:10 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

No you did not say anything about Forged internals. But did Sc300 ever say anything about a Head gasket change... I think not.

But i do agree with you on the quality of the parts used to make the turbo kit. I prefer Big brand names. Over something off of lets say Ebay. But i have been testing alot of junk from ebay... and they are starting to come out alot better. I still stand with my opinion. If your going TURBO use a turbo motor 8psi like you have stated. Won't be fun for long.

Quick Reply: Reliability of a SC300 5 speed with a turbo kit??????