Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing head gasket for sc300

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 07:15 AM
toykilla
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry to hear about that. It is not an easy task which is why I hear shops charge up to $2000 for the job.

I had never worked on this engine before so it took me awhile to learn how everything went together. The Toyota engineers are some tricky bastards that like to locate bolts where you can't see or reach them.

I think it took me 2-3 days to get down to the head gasket making sure I knew what everything was and where it went.

You will need to remove almost all of the engine except the lower half of the block.

Things that will have to come out:

intake system
throttle body
intake manifolds (all 3 parts)
engine cover
cam covers
cooling fan
engine belts
distributor
spark plug wires
a lot of vacuum hoses (mark them or you will forget where they go... I forgot and it took me another few days just to work out where they plugged in)
cam gears
cam shafts
EGR valves and piping
Finally the head
There are alot of smaller things attached here and there that will need to be removed as well.

It was a lot of work, but I am glad I did it. Now I know how to get into the engine if I ever need to which will save me more money down the road. My girlfriend came in and saw hundreds of car parts scattered around the garage and didn't think it would ever run again.

I have a factory service manual in PDF format that you can have if you want it. You will definitely need to reference it.
Old 01-29-07, 09:46 AM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aliga
for a first timer its an all weekend job.
I think you miss wrote this Gazi its an all week job for a first timer
Old 01-30-07, 02:00 AM
slo86
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

factory head bolts are torqued to yeild. so, either get new bolts or arp studs.

setting timing is easy, follow the fsm. remember to take off hte distributor cap to make sure the rotor is pointed to plug wire #1

you dont really need to change any other gaskets unless you have leaks.

head gasket can be dont with motor in the car.

changing the headgasket on a 2jzge is simple. you'll spend most of the time just cleaning parts before you reinstall them.
Old 01-30-07, 02:26 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Don't forget to resurface the block. You want to get the block and head as flat as possible. Or else your going to blow the head in a sort period. As opposed to doing it right. While your down there. Do a complete engine rebuild/overhaul. Why waste time in acouple mo/yr's in the future to take the head off agian... ?! Since your down there already. Why not go the whole way and get the block worked on. Might save you acouple hr's/nights to do it all over agian.
Old 01-30-07, 09:01 PM
David_K
Driver School Candidate

TTY mean torque to yeild. what im asking is do the head bolts need to be replaced.
Old 01-30-07, 09:40 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

It would be wise too.. Change them to either new or aftermarket if you want to make more HP in the future i would go with Aftermarket.
Old 01-31-07, 01:19 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc400Red95
Don't forget to resurface the block. You want to get the block and head as flat as possible. Or else your going to blow the head in a sort period. As opposed to doing it right. While your down there. Do a complete engine rebuild/overhaul. Why waste time in acouple mo/yr's in the future to take the head off agian... ?! Since your down there already. Why not go the whole way and get the block worked on. Might save you acouple hr's/nights to do it all over agian.
It might not be necessary. The important thing is to remove and retorque all the studs in the correct sequences. Correct sequences will mostly eliminate warping or blowing head gaskets. This is a Lexus engine, and not a Huyndai engine....LOL.
Old 01-31-07, 09:26 AM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Originally Posted by stevechumo
This is a Lexus engine, and not a Huyndai engine....LOL.
lol i was referring to the 7m that came in the older model Supras. But and engine is still an engine no matter who builds it. Just to be on the safer side.
Old 07-20-13, 02:22 PM
MrFeelGood
Driver School Candidate

can i get that PDF You where talking about please. i also replaced my head gasket and set timing and now she aint running right. i really could use the referance and trouble shooting if you have it?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-15, 12:26 AM
jwynn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toykilla
I am sorry to hear about that. It is not an easy task which is why I hear shops charge up to $2000 for the job.

I had never worked on this engine before so it took me awhile to learn how everything went together. The Toyota engineers are some tricky bastards that like to locate bolts where you can't see or reach them.

I think it took me 2-3 days to get down to the head gasket making sure I knew what everything was and where it went.

You will need to remove almost all of the engine except the lower half of the block.

Things that will have to come out:

intake system
throttle body
intake manifolds (all 3 parts)
engine cover
cam covers
cooling fan
engine belts
distributor
spark plug wires
a lot of vacuum hoses (mark them or you will forget where they go... I forgot and it took me another few days just to work out where they plugged in)
cam gears
cam shafts
EGR valves and piping
Finally the head
There are alot of smaller things attached here and there that will need to be removed as well.

It was a lot of work, but I am glad I did it. Now I know how to get into the engine if I ever need to which will save me more money down the road. My girlfriend came in and saw hundreds of car parts scattered around the garage and didn't think it would ever run again.

I have a factory service manual in PDF format that you can have if you want it. You will definitely need to reference it.
Anyway you could send me that PDF as well Ive got to get to the head gasket my self
Old 11-16-15, 10:05 PM
MaddyOrles
Driver School Candidate

I have a factory service manual in PDF format that you can have if you want it. You will definitely need to reference it.[/QUOTE]

Is there anyway I could get that PDF?
Old 11-17-15, 11:41 AM
ish9
Driver School Candidate

^^^^^Me too
Old 11-17-15, 12:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that was from 2007. here is the online 95 supra repair manual which is the online version of the PDF.
I use most all the engine and some of the suspension is the same for the SC.
http://www.supracentral.com/foundation/mkiv-tsrm/

you want the "engine - mechanical" section and it has 2jzgte and 2jzge, obviously you should follow the 2jzge one that the sc300 has.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-17-15 at 12:21 PM.