Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY 1992 SC400 Alternator Rebuild--

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 03:59 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically, concerning the quality of the electrical connection, I torqued it well, and all contacts are clean-- Again, I don't see any need for it-- I doubt it would make more than .01% difference in current capacity if that much-- I do however think that it will help maintain the quality of the connection over time when exposed to the elements-- IE: 100,000 miles later-- By then I'll have a 1JZ or a 1.5JZ under the hood or a blue 96 911 Carerra-- either way it won't matter much....

All I know is my battery charges now and I can jam my system for 6 hours with a 1000w monoblock and a 350w Class A amp on my mids and highs and my battery is still nice and hot..

Much better than it was before, as it wouldn't even start the next day after driving it for 20 minutes--

The original brushes still had enough material that I really didn't have to change them either-- about 35% of them was used up, so they had plenty of life left--

I'm more worried about my p/s pump honestly-- It's kinda weak at low rpm's after that last fluid change--
Old 06-25-07, 10:36 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushes

Matt,

My slip rings were worn thru badly. My brushes were like new. My rebuilder said that my condition was especially comman with brushes that had gotten oil on them. He said that after being oil soaked they become like little cutting tools.

Nothing speaks like success and I think you have that.

You are right about the grease preventing the contact from deteriorating and also about the decrease in ohms being small at original assembly. Switches tend to spark and the grease adds lots of life to the switch if it was designed to use it. I know of a few people a, at least, that have shared with me that they rinced all the "goo" out with contact cleaner.

John
Old 06-26-07, 06:37 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ohhhh, I got it backwards, the BRUSHES cut the SLIP RINGS- sorry--

As far as every little technical aspect apparently I missed that one, but hell it works awesome and cost me $65-- how can I complain-- I have OE quality instead of some super cheaply built reman--
Old 06-26-07, 10:01 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

SpinAll4-- Thanks for pointing out my "stupid" mistake--

Maybe you should focus on fixing that broken window of yours -- It could rain--
Old 12-10-07, 10:15 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

I can't figure out how to order the rectifier from the link you provided. I can get the bearings and brushes from a parts store in town.
Old 12-26-07, 07:10 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

You Can call the guy and he'll set you up with everything you need-- I called him and he stocked all the necessary rebuild parts for the Denso Alt..
Old 11-23-10, 01:29 PM
Michael56
Driver School Candidate

Default The Voltage Regulator

You said that the regulator is not known for failure, but I'm wondering if there is any way to check it (with the alternator apart) with a multi-tester.

I finally found a Auto Electric shop here in NorCal willing to sell me the Bridge Rectifier, as I did the Continuity checks on the Diodes to confirm they are toast.

All these other guys want you to just bring it in, and charge you $150 to fix it.

Also-- a quick question on the failure root cause.

when I took the battery-end "positive" connection apart, I noticed that the vertical threaded post on the Lead post clamp-- that the cable ends attach to -- had a arcing-erosion point on it about halfway down. The arcing had eroded the threads down to the root in a location about 1/8" in size.

This time, I'm cleaned everything with scotch brite pads, and a battery post brush. And I'm going to use the dielectric grease on all surfaces when I put it all back together.

I'm just wondering if that arcing point is what killed the Diodes. I had just put a used Alternator that checked out fine on a tester -- on the Car 2 months ago--and then it too failed.

Any comments appreciated.

Michael
East Bay of NorCal
Old 11-26-10, 10:38 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

I am having alternator problems as well. I put in new brushes, voltage regulator and put in a used rectifier that tested ok and my car does not charge at all. The red ominous battery light came on and I at least got the car home.

Should I replace the whole rectifier with a new one and see what that does?
Old 08-29-11, 12:06 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

The link is dead for the Bridge Rectifier to be ordered so id there any other place to order from?

I know this is an old thread but it's a shot in the dark that somebody may know
Old 08-29-11, 02:10 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

All I know is nationsautoelectric.com is still in business and I just rebuilt my wife's es300's alt with parts from them in the past few months with good results.

I have actually been doing quite a bit of work to that car lately, mostly preventative though...
Old 08-31-11, 04:35 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
All I know is nationsautoelectric.com is still in business and I just rebuilt my wife's es300's alt with parts from them in the past few months with good results.

I have actually been doing quite a bit of work to that car lately, mostly preventative though...
Ok I got the Inr733p hd rectifier bridge from them on order today only to find out my Slip rings are worn through
Old 12-17-11, 02:48 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the sc300 and sc400 have same alternator? (94 sc300)
Old 12-17-11, 07:55 PM
Arkansas
Pole Position

Think ill just upgrade to the more powerful alternator....id just mess up rebuilding mine
Old 12-17-11, 09:25 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

It's beyond easy
Old 03-03-12, 10:53 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My own experience (SC400)...

Whether you rebuild the alternator yourself or buy a remanufactured one, ensure that the gray silicone rubber brush cover is in place.
Below is a photo of what it looks like. When I bought a remanufactured alternator, this piece was missing. Without this cover the brushes and slip rings are exposed and once dirt gets in there, the grinding begins.
Since you probably don't want to disassemble a rebuilt alternator in the auto parts store to check for this cover, just remove it from your core alternator before you turn it in.
And if you don't have one on your existing alternator, that's a tip-off you have a (not-thoroughly) rebuilt alternator.

Also, I don't agree that the best way to remove the alternator is through the bottom, in fact every time I have removed my alternator it has been from the top. Maybe if you use a jack and just lift one side of your car, the sway bar twists/swings out of the way to allow you to remove it from the bottom. But if you use ramps like I do, the stock SC400 sway bar continues to sit right in the middle of that opening at the bottom of the car. So, on my car at least, there's just no way the alternator is coming out of the bottom with that sway bar in the way (unless maybe you remove the power steering rack!).

It's tight, and you may have to rotate the heavy alternator to find the right orientation for it to squeeze through, but it comes out through the top as long as you remove the coolant overflow tank and the belt tensioner pulley. You might also have to move or compress the large radiator hose to make enough room.

And finally, if you're lucky enough to have a power steering pump that doesn't leak (my car has had 3 so far and they all eventually leaked, some more than others) then you need not read any further. But for those of us that aren't that lucky you know that the leaking power steering fluid at the very least makes a mess of the alternator and at the very worse can short it out and ruin it prematurely. And if you don't have that brush cover I mentioned, the fluid gets into the brushes, attracting dirt and grinding down the slip rings.

So what I did the last time I removed my alternator was fabricate a little splash shield to keep the power steering fluid from dripping directly onto the alternator. It's made of thin, flexible metal about 6 inches by 7 inches with holes punched in 3 of the 4 corners. I secured it right underneath the power steering pump with some flexible wire. The front of the shield is slightly higher than the rear so that any fluid that drips onto it drains towards the rear of the engine beyond the position of the alternator. You can see it in the photo below, taken while looking upwards into the engine compartment with the alternator removed- the shield almost completely hides the PS pump above it..

Obviously this does not stop the leak, it merely channels the leaking fluid to a part of the engine compartment where it does less harm and helps keep the alternator cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails DIY 1992 SC400 Alternator Rebuild---brass-010.jpg   DIY 1992 SC400 Alternator Rebuild---brass-014.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIY 1992 SC400 Alternator Rebuild--