Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

to Turbo or not to Turbo...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 07:42 PM
handcuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to Turbo or not to Turbo...?

Hey guys,

I'm a total n00b, so sorry for my ignorance. I just purchased my 94 SC300 automatic (130K) this weekend, and am really enjoying it. It looks to have been well maintained mechanically (regular maint, synthetic oil, etc). The engine and tranny still feel strong, although a mechanic friend will be testing the compression later this week.

Anyway, he has offered me a turbo that is made for a 1989 Turbo Supra (Greddy kit, to replace the OEM, but never installed). I don't know if this Turbo will work on my car (he is confident that it will), nor do I know what other modifications it will require. I'm concerned about what it will do to the lifespan of my engine/transmission if we install it (assuming it will work). I think he said that it comes stock configured to 6 pounds....what would that do for my power/speed? Does turbo impact the low end performance or high end more? (I'm an idiot when it comes to these things)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I believe he will be giving it to me for free, or selling it to me rather cheaply (very good friend of the family, and the turbo is just sitting new in box at his house) if I want it.

I didn't get my car to mod it out, but I must say that after driving it a few days, the impulse to get more power is overwhelming (yep...I have an addictive personality). My wife has already threatened to beat me with a stick in my sleep if I go too far with this thing, so I am looking for the best 'bang-for-the-buck' that I can get.

I was also thinking of redoing the exhaust to a magnaflow oval muffler and removing the cats (I think there are two cats per line, of which I would remove one and replace the other with a high flow). Anyone have any idea what types of HP returns this would have for me? I hear it also improves your fuel mileage by a mile or two per gallon...anyone find this to be true (please say yes...then I have a good excuse )

Thanks for your help.
-Scott
Old 01-10-07, 07:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Use the engine forum please
Old 01-10-07, 07:55 PM
handcuff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Use the engine forum please
heh...sorry. Thanks for moving it over
-S
Old 01-10-07, 07:59 PM
slo86
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

greddy kit: wont work
reliability/performance: depends on tuning approach and many other factors
suggestions: stock/ oem is perfectly fine. go educate yourself on an sc300 before you decide to spend any money

clubna-t.com is your friend
Old 01-10-07, 08:00 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

if it's for an 89 to replace the stock kit then no it won't work.

7m vs 2JZ, completely different heads
Old 01-11-07, 02:16 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Give yourself a couple of months to study how turbos work and how all the components of a turbo works (wastegate, boost controller, fuel controller, oillines, etc). Then gather $5000 for your kit and get it installed by a reputable tuner shop.
Old 01-11-07, 07:04 AM
handcuff
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback and the point in the right direction. I'm continuing to try to learn as much as possible about the car and the internals - so far I've enjoyed it, although I haven't had time to learn much. These forums seem to be about the best place to pick up good information...
Thanks,
-Scott
Old 01-11-07, 07:18 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Yup do your research and do it right especially with tuning.
Old 01-11-07, 11:50 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed with all the above members, you're getting way ahead of yourself.

btw, I came across an excellent shop in Lexington KY- Racing Technology Co, Dan O'Leary owner, that had several stunning MKIV Supra's that were in for single kits and other high HP mods. Worth it to talk to them.
Old 01-11-07, 01:24 PM
handcuff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCoupe
Agreed with all the above members, you're getting way ahead of yourself.

btw, I came across an excellent shop in Lexington KY- Racing Technology Co, Dan O'Leary owner, that had several stunning MKIV Supra's that were in for single kits and other high HP mods. Worth it to talk to them.
Thanks. I'll keep that name bookmarked for when/if I'm ready to move forward. Thanks!
-Scott
Old 01-12-07, 01:26 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

When I first began researching na-t turbo, I read a book by Corky Bell called Maximum Boost. It was fun to read and easy to comprehend for the beginner..highly recommend it . Also, check out www.clubna-t.com for other helpful DIY guides and FAQ's. Since you're just starting out and it sounds like you're not looking for insane amounts of power, I recommend staying with the stock 2jz-ge engine (don't upgrade headgasket since you can make 400rwhp safely on stock 2jz-ge's). Also, consider the DaveH Boostwerx turbo kit that is on sale here: http://www.jackyperformance.com/nutsbolts.html
hope this helps .