Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

maf or map?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 11:28 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maf or map?

hi,
i just bought a jdm 2jzgte 93 and i was pretty sure it uses a mass airflow sensor instead of a manifold absolute pressure sensor like the USDM version i think. Can anyone clarify? yes ive used the search engine but for somereason it doesnt seem to work even when i put a single key word like "map". Also my freind says u cant use aftermarket BOV if its a maf setup so how can one convert to map if need be like parts etc. do i need a standalone ecu? things like that. thanks for the help!
Old 12-04-06, 05:11 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you can use an aftermarket bov's with mafs or maps. to make it work with a maf you need to either use an safc and tune it so it doesnt stall or you can recirculate the air from the bov so that the maf doesnt notice the missing air it had already measured/accounted for.

as for the jdm gte, it comes with a map sensor which is a common upgrade for the 1jz crowd. go over to supraforum.com for more info.

hope that helps
Old 12-04-06, 05:59 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
you can use an aftermarket bov's with mafs or maps. to make it work with a maf you need to either use an safc and tune it so it doesnt stall or you can recirculate the air from the bov so that the maf doesnt notice the missing air it had already measured/accounted for.

as for the jdm gte, it comes with a map sensor which is a common upgrade for the 1jz crowd. go over to supraforum.com for more info.

hope that helps
JDM 2j's are map, and yes u can use an aftermarket bov on a stock maf 2j. I never had any problems with stalling out in my supra, but every car is different. easy fix is just to recirc the bov back into the intake.
Old 12-05-06, 10:50 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

cool thanks for the info!! but heres another question. Is the map off of my sc compatible with the gte? both engines from the same year and all. i dont want to buy another map when i dont need one
Old 12-06-06, 06:13 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
cool thanks for the info!! but heres another question. Is the map off of my sc compatible with the gte? both engines from the same year and all. i dont want to buy another map when i dont need one
The map sensor? The GTE motor will come with a map sensor for that motor. It reads a maximum pressure of like 18psi but you will hit boost cut before that.
Old 12-07-06, 11:04 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

wooops my mistake... a little research and the ge motor is maf.. unless im mistaken yet again... where is the map sensor on the gte located though? that still eludes me