Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Distrubutor install HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-06, 06:50 PM
Okcomputer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distrubutor install HOW TO

After much searching on this forum as well as a couple others i did not find my answer to installing a new distributor. SO, what this post is for is to be a reference to anyone who might be looking to re-install their distributor without properly marking the rotor location prior to removal, or having to replace their distributor with a new one. The process to finding top dead center on the 2jzge begins with pulling the front of the valve cover to reveal the cam gears. Next, get a the proper wrench or socket to turn the crankshaft pulley. Make sure to turn the pulley clockwise so you dont accidently loosten it, although that would probably not happen. As you turn the pulley take a look at your harmonic dampener on the top of the pulley and wait for the white notch to align with the "0" timing mark. At this point you are either on the compression stroke or exhaust stroke, so make sure that the two dots located on the cam gears are pointing straight up. This indicates that you are top dead center. Once you have your engine set at top dead center make sure that your distributor cap is removed so that you can see the rotor within the distributor. Now, note the location of the number one spark plug wire and follow it up to the distributor cap and set your rotor to point towards the number one spark plug on the distributor (the rotor should be pointing towards about one o clock). Now, screw the distributor cap back on and plug everything back in. Start your car up and then reset the ignition timing.

Once again, I only made this post for the purpose of search in hopes that some day it might help someone else.
Old 01-15-07, 02:06 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great write up i couldnt figure out that the distibutor gear moves when u install it and to aim the rotor towards 1 o'clock good stuff