Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I finally seafoamed my sc400

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-06, 10:51 PM
fatboyq
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I finally seafoamed my sc400

the button on the shift stalk for the od is broken so Im pretty much in od all the time. Not sure if this has to do with my power hesitation I was having.

any way I seafoamed my car today to get the throttle responce back. It made a bit of a difference then I put some auto lite plugs in gapped at .45, wires were decent tanaka I think are these stock. this made a difference as well. the plugs I pulled were denso plugs and looked quite old.

after a initial spin around town I was not too thrilled then I put the button for pwr on and made a huge difference. I want to drive with the ect power button on all the time, is this fine for the car? Im at half tank and only 120 miles . i put a can of techron chevron as well. timing belt looked great no signs of wear or cracking etc.

that was my friday night adventure, next I plan on spraying the TB clean and the maf sensor and idle air motor if I can find it.
Old 11-10-06, 11:01 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm assuming you got your oil changed after using the seafoam right???
Old 11-11-06, 01:00 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

When asking questions related to the engine, please use the engine forum.

Moved
Old 11-11-06, 03:05 AM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

I'm gonna seafoam my car before my next oil change, people seem to have great results with it.
Old 11-11-06, 03:22 AM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

did u guys do all the seafoams at the same time?

put it in gas tank, oil, and suck it through the vaccuum line?
Old 11-11-06, 05:38 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

The seafoam is sucked in threw the brake vacume line and directly into the combustion chambers if done correctly...This will clean the years of Carbon build up due to running the EGR system, clouds of smoke should emit when this is done..Spark plugs could get fouled so changing is a good idea.....\\

However, I don't see why you would need to change the oil unless you run the seafoam directly in with the oil...I don't think it is like power in a bottle either, so most should not expect big power gains from this procedure...Do the Seafoaming experts agree with me?
Old 11-13-06, 12:15 AM
jdmtruong
Lead Lap

I did it about 3 times. I did an oil change with all 3 of the times I used Seafoam. First time I remember, my friend told me it will produce a lottttt of smoke if my car was a Seafoam virgin. I was like "neh, couldn't be THAT bad". But dude, right when I started it up and gassing it, my whole neighborhood was up in smoke. My neighbor asked me if I needed any help lol. I said no I was doing something. Kinda feels bad for messing up the atmosphere.
Old 11-13-06, 02:18 AM
natesiy
Rookie

So the stuff really works?
Old 11-13-06, 09:40 AM
jibbby

I concure...Major smoke screen...All those years of protecting the invironment with EGR system is released in one sea foaming session...Mushroom cloud city, ozone depletion, global warming, polar ice cap melting, etc...It gets ugly.....
Old 11-13-06, 11:51 AM
fatboyq
Rookie

I think there is something wrong with my car, after the seafoam it ran ok for that day, I drove it again today and same thing. I smash the gas pedal all the way to the floor wide open throttle and it takes 3-4 seconds before it finally realizes that I want to go fast then takes off. It is not breaking up or misfireing etc, new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, seafoamed, new oil and filter, cleaned throttle body, new belt. What else can I try?

how can I check to see if it is the coil/s
clogged cat?
maf or tps sensor issues?

any help would be great! just had the car for about 3 weeks now 106k miles.
Old 11-13-06, 12:17 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatboyq
I think there is something wrong with my car, after the seafoam it ran ok for that day, I drove it again today and same thing. I smash the gas pedal all the way to the floor wide open throttle and it takes 3-4 seconds before it finally realizes that I want to go fast then takes off. It is not breaking up or misfireing etc, new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, seafoamed, new oil and filter, cleaned throttle body, new belt. What else can I try?

how can I check to see if it is the coil/s
clogged cat?
maf or tps sensor issues?

any help would be great! just had the car for about 3 weeks now 106k miles.
Our cars have a pretty lame automatic transmission.
Old 11-13-06, 12:46 PM
fatboyq
Rookie

so is that 3 second "lag" normal? if so I will stop throwing parts at it.
Old 11-13-06, 12:48 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah that lag is pretty much normal, ive had a few moments when my car has responded the second i hit the gas and i felt the power. But most of the time they are slow to respond Kinda sad Lexus made the Engine so great, but didnt improve on the Tranny.
Old 11-13-06, 01:45 PM
fatboyq
Rookie

thanks guys, that really sucks about that lag however, atleast I know not to throw parts at it now unnessacerily. I was going nuts thinking there was something wrong. I never felt such a lag in any auto I drove what the heck was lexus thinking?

The guy who I got it from said his 93 SC400 was the same way, I just thaught it was a cover up statement to sell the car.
Old 11-13-06, 07:27 PM
jibbby

Change out your weak stock torque converter and you will get instant throttle reponse from idle, no lag what so ever....I can do a burn out now with the Precision Industries Dragon Torque Converter from idle....Floor the gas from a dead stop and both fat rear tires will spin out with no nos....Torque converter is everything on these automatic SC's...

Last edited by jibbby; 11-14-06 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: So I finally seafoamed my sc400