Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

car wont shut off! need some guru help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 09:18 AM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont shut off! need some guru help

I hope i am not violating any rule with this thread, if so feel free to correct me, its just i am pretty stuck right now and the nissan forums arent pulling through so hopefully one of you gurus can help and represent for clublexus with the skills and knowledge. but here it goes.

did a sr20 swap on my friend/roomate's 93' nissan 240sx, and everything ran and runs absolutely fine since march now. yet we installed an oil cooler and the relocation kit 2 days ago, and now when you take the key out the car stays running with the key removed. the stereo doesnt work and his gauges dont light up, but the windows still work and the cars stil running. its like the first click on the ignition is off but the second click is stuck on.(dont think its the ignition switch because i unhooked it and the car diddnt die)

key out, alternator plug in, and battey unhooked, and ignition switch unplugged, the car runs. obviously pull out the fuel pump relay or fuse it dies, but if you unplug the 2 wire clip on the alternator it dies also(with the battery unhooked that is) so it seems the problem is the signal to those things are stuck on.

but the weird thing about it is its not just stuck, when you kill the car with the fuel fuse all the stuff like the windows still working is still on, but when you unhook and rehook the battery it "resets" so everything is off like you turned the car off, and once you turn the key to the on position and back its stuck on again. one more note is when you take the ground off the alternator and hook up the battery you hear a weird noise from the EGI relay i believe the EGI is the electronic fuel injection system

thanks for all the help, Im getting fustrated out here...

Last edited by sc1jzgte; 10-26-06 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-27-06, 12:10 AM
revlis240
Driver

this may seem a little odd of a solution, but you said that the nissan guys couldnt solve anything, so im pulling memory from my 240 days..

you didnt happen to short the alternator when you installed the oil cooler did you? like accidentally cause a spark somewhere near the alt?

if so, or if you want to eliminate one thing, replace the giant fuses in the fuse box near the battery..namely the one labled ALT and its like 100a or something large as such. it may look not blown or melted, but replace it anyway

let me know
Abe
Old 10-27-06, 02:51 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

thanks but that wasnt the problem, tried it though but diddnt work. studied some wiring diagrams and came up with it being the ignition relay, now to get a new one and get to that.....