Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My baby's in trouble please help!!!

Old 10-12-06, 01:32 AM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My baby's in trouble please help!!!

Well, all of the sudden my sc300 started making a crap load more noise. It sounds like a truck . At first I thought it was maybe a clogged maf. So I took the entire intake apart and cleaned everything. Still making tons of noise.

It has been about a week now and the car continues to make a really loud wind like noise at startup and while driving. Sounds really similar to a public bus minus the turbo spool. The car also seems to make a little squeeling noise at high rpms (5000+) and losses power drastically. My second guess to what might be wrong is the fan clutch but not 100%.

I have searched and have come up with nothing regarding my situation. So, any feedback is greatly appreciated. I just want to get her back to working condition. I just ordered new parts for her too
Old 10-12-06, 04:12 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the cats....you can see the red glow below the car...if you have a few miles and you haven't changed out the OEM system.
Old 10-12-06, 05:46 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Could be a torque converter...(not sure if your auto or manual)
Fan clutch....if it is, it will be hard as hell to move while engine is off,
Water pump....
Alternator.....

you need to have the hood open listening to the engine. Have someone else rev the engine, locate the sound
Old 10-12-06, 05:54 AM
DZLEXIK
Lead Lap

the hamster inside is dying ...you need to visit the pet store! lol jk
Old 10-12-06, 10:55 AM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neurocity
Could be a torque converter...(not sure if your auto or manual)
Fan clutch....if it is, it will be hard as hell to move while engine is off,
Water pump....
Alternator.....

you need to have the hood open listening to the engine. Have someone else rev the engine, locate the sound
yea the fan is pretty hard to move while the engine is not running. Its still moveable but it just doesn't want to move easily. I don't think it would be the torque converter cuz it doesn't seem to be affecting the shifts at all. It just seems that the fan is creating alot more wind than it should be.
Old 10-12-06, 11:58 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Cut your loses and sell cheap....
Old 10-12-06, 12:15 PM
jibbby

Fully insure it and drive it off a cliff, maybe?
Old 10-12-06, 01:29 PM
jibbby

Oh, that is why the Miss..river is so blackened and murky..(rotting cars at the bottom, hmmm makes perfect sense)...My brother lives down in Columbus, Ms...I've been there and there is no cliffs to drive your insured car off of...Just flat land and a big **** dirty river....Alot of Fords and Chevy's cruising around too...

Ok new idea - Insure the lemon and start an accidental engine fire and let it burn and blow....maybe?

This is getting bad, I better stop these remarks before I get banned again..This forum is very sensitive to humor, unrelated topics, wise cracks, etc..It feels like my ***** are chopped off every time I log on to the club.....
Old 10-12-06, 02:03 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

how about a simple exhaust leak? Maybe at the head, or the collector into the b-pipe? as for the squealing, probably a worn out belt
Old 10-12-06, 02:38 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Durrr
how about a simple exhaust leak? Maybe at the head, or the collector into the b-pipe? as for the squealing, probably a worn out belt
Thats my guess too. Ive recently had a cracked weld on the precat(right next to the O2 sensor ) . And it sounded exactly as the problem described.
The only difference is my fan clutch is not locked up . So im unsure if thats related, or perhaps a separate issue.
Old 10-12-06, 04:03 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

what motor? i had a similar problem....do you have the twin setupt? 1j, 2j? if not then im no help, my problem was turbo caused
Old 10-12-06, 04:27 PM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I'm not sure if it would be an exhaust leak because then the exhaust would have been funny sounding. I do not have a twin setup, I wish I did but i dont . Just out of curiousity can everybody else move their fans when the car is off? Does it spin with ease or is ther always some sort of resistance.
Old 10-12-06, 04:32 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Mine has a slight resistance (SC300) but will make a full revolution with a pretty light push.
Old 10-12-06, 04:49 PM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neurocity
Mine has a slight resistance (SC300) but will make a full revolution with a pretty light push.
O...ok well then i'm guessing it is definately the fan clutch then. The fan needs a very strong push to even move it and it will definately not make a full revolution unless I push it all the way around.
Old 10-12-06, 05:18 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

you know what....you should go electric fan then, get rid of that extra weight and centrifugal force, make ya some more power in the end.

If you are going "stock" fan replacement, its a easy fix, few bolts, bust the old one off, clean the area, bolt the new one on.

Make sure your water pump is cool, that would make a nice noise too.
But then your engine would run hotter than norm. Get a flash light and look for water/coolant leaking out the bottom of the pump.

If its your PWR steering pump, it will make noise also.
Check this by leaving the car in park, at idle. Turn the wheel L2R and the noise will increase, as fluid is used to push the steering arms. If so, check the level, add some fluid if low and drive around the block a few times. turning alot...work the fluid into the system. the noise will decrease over time if its a fluid thing.

All this is from the hip, so please don't take this to the bank!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My baby's in trouble please help!!!