Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 to 1JZ-GTE VVT-I conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 07:10 PM
UZZ30-Qc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 to 1JZ-GTE VVT-I conversion

Hello guys, I'm new here.

2 weeks ago i got an accident with my SC400 and i need a whole new front end with airbags.

Then i decided to import an Half cut directly from Japan since they are about the same price as a front end here and it includes a hole lot of stuff.

My 1UZ-FE isn't damaged but To save on repairs, I tought I could use all the engine and accessories from the half cut, and maybe perform an engine swap.

I made a few research about the 1JZ-GTE. A lot of people complain about the lack of low-end torque VS the V8 (well, with stock Torque converter the V8 is not that good too...) But the 1JZ-GTE VVT-I has a lot more torque and people who test drove it just loved it because it's so responsive and an EZ to modify engine.

Then i planned to buy a half cut with a 1JZ-VVT-i, transmission doesn't matter much. Then a lot of people told me that wiring might be a big problem. But If I use EVERYTHING from the half cut, engine, accessories, A/C... and wiring harness, what could be the wiring problems i encounter? except maybe tacho/speedometer problems or climate control?

Also i could use the steering airbag from the half cut but unfortunately not the dashboard airbag (unless i can swap the covers for the LHD)

Thanx for your support,

regards, Pascal.

PS : forgive my english, I'm in a french country and I'm trying to do my best to be the clearest possible.
Old 10-12-06, 12:09 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess if you use all the wiring from the front cut you should be able to wire it up no problems. Since I've got a factory fitted 1JZ in my car I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that there was some talk of the wires needing to be extended or so, try a search and see what comes up. Then if you use the gearbox and ECU for the 1JZ you should be able to wire it up to the dash etc etc.
Old 10-12-06, 01:57 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

A guy in poland managed to make his 1jz work with his SC400.
Old 10-13-06, 05:35 PM
UZZ30-Qc
Driver School Candidate

Thanx a lot guys. I also do think that If i use every single thing from the half cut, including the transmission, the engine should run without any problems. Might have to lenghten the wire harness because the the computer is located the other way but that's not really a big problem.

in a month or 2 I'd go see the importer to give him my special request for a 1JZ-GTE VVT-I because thoses half cuts are very very rare here. And since I'm a low-end torque fan, I would probably prefer this one (never drove a 1JZ yet)
Old 10-17-06, 06:37 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

i did a 1j swap to my sc400 and it was simple. just not to sure about the vvti .it should be the same though
Old 10-17-06, 12:27 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

venus-auto has a 1jz vvti with a r154. im not sure if it is a front clip or not. they might ship to CAn.
Old 10-19-06, 01:13 AM
s13jdmsx
Driver School Candidate

Great this pretty much kills 2 birds with 1 stone, I been looking all over for s3 5spd and was concerned b/c all I could find were sc4, but think i found the sc4 I plan to get just dont want to be stuck later when ready to do the swap.
Old 10-20-06, 06:29 AM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Does the vvti still have the strong forged internals? I know they have great low end torque, but if you could put a big single on it that would be even better.
Old 10-21-06, 08:08 AM
SCJono
Driver School Candidate

Smile 1Jz VVT-i is an awesome motor.

I am currently driving a sc3 with a 1jz vvti and it delivers awesome smooth power. The car has currently has almost no mods and will spin the tires all day long. I actually purchased my clip from venus-auto drove to sac town from LA to pick it up, they do a good job there. If you have to opp to do vvt-i the wiring
is pretty much straight forward, i drive mine everyday with a/c and everything works perfect. Honestly i have had quite a few silvia's as daily drivers and this is the best car i have ever owned.

Boost Control Goes in today!

~Jono~

Old 07-01-08, 09:28 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Brought back from the dead lol...has anyone else gotten ahold of any more info on the wiring work required to complete this swap?
Old 07-02-08, 12:06 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
Brought back from the dead lol...has anyone else gotten ahold of any more info on the wiring work required to complete this swap?
A friend of mine is currently in the process of a 1j VVT-i swap and I am also interested....
Old 07-02-08, 12:16 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Just send it(wiring) to Dr. Tweak.
Old 07-02-08, 06:19 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Just send it(wiring) to Dr. Tweak.
I'd prefer to do it myself but if it comes down to it, that might be the direction i take.
Old 07-03-08, 12:47 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the only hard thing with this swap is the wiring?
Old 07-03-08, 01:04 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would imagine the wiring would be the hardest part. I have a friend about to go into college to study electrical engineering, so hopefully in four years I'll have a friend who can make me my own wiring harnesses and whatnot. lol.

Quick Reply: SC400 to 1JZ-GTE VVT-I conversion