Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 05:21 PM
rayray76
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my two cents

I would have paid for new s&s headers already if I wouldnt have to spend antoher 3-5 hundred dollars to make them work. Why cant a design be made that will actually bolt on to the cats right where they are..alot of guys on here are DIY'ers but welding cutting and refitting exhauast pipe is too much for alot of us.. I think most sc400 owners would want a header that they can take home and "bolt on".
just my two cents (puts on flame retardant suit)
Old 10-12-06, 08:25 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SS headers satisfaction!

First off, I Have SS Headers and I love them! They are a great set of headers!

Yes they require some work to fit them on a SC400.

But correct me if I’m wrong. If a person is buying a $600 dollar set of headers why would they want to hook them to stock, restricted exhaust? If you putting on custom exhaust anyway its no bid deal. That Extra 600-1000 dollars for High flow cats X-pipe mufflers and piping is there whether you hook it to Headers or stock manifolds.

All I’m saying is people installing headers are most likely doing a full exhaust anyway.

To save some cash on these ask SS to quote you without the coating, I think it could save you a couple hundred bucks.

Here is my install if you are interested.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219784
Old 10-12-06, 09:44 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rayray76
I would have paid for new s&s headers already if I wouldnt have to spend antoher 3-5 hundred dollars to make them work. Why cant a design be made that will actually bolt on to the cats right where they are..alot of guys on here are DIY'ers but welding cutting and refitting exhauast pipe is too much for alot of us.. I think most sc400 owners would want a header that they can take home and "bolt on".
just my two cents (puts on flame retardant suit)
Simple question, complicated answer. The 98 GS400 manifolds are physically longer than the SC400 manifolds. There is BARELY room on the GS for this shorty design. A design for the SC that would be a direct bolt in and keep the stock manifolds would be very hard and would not flow as well. There is a direct manifold bolt in that is posted elsewhere on CL but that deletes the cats.
Old 10-13-06, 12:17 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Ektuning.com headers appear to be direct bolt on headers for the SC's and the price reflects that too....But no metal cutting, welding, fabing of downpipes, eetc.. will be needed...

Again the S&S Headers are a really nice set of headers, just wish they could have bolted on to the stock cats or to the exhaust after the cats...It would have been nice if the flange bolt patterns would have matched then just pipe lengthening would have been needed...Much easier to do for the average exhaust shop... The egr fange threads don't match up on the headers either...I still think they should only be sold and marketed for the GS models...

ScottURnot - On average mome people like to keep there stock exhaust systems intact to some extent...Headers with the stock exhaust system will still make a big difference...When modifing the stock SC exhaust systems most will only work with the back half section and not the front half on the SC's...Some people still like to pass smog emissions in their state as well....Am I right or wrong on this...Also many only have the money to perform exhaust mods a little at a time and not all at once..

For the extremist the S&S Headers would be a fine choice if you intend to rework the entire exhaust system from the headers on back all at on time.....However, for the masses I think that is not the case...
Old 10-14-06, 09:59 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

MOST people will be lazy and not study the following paragraph. They want simple without making any effort. Lazy people should not try to modify their engine.

The headers from www.ektuning.com look like nice parts. They are in fact a direct bolt on for the SC400s for years 1992-1994. They may also be for years 1995-1997 and possibly for 1998-2000. I cannot tell and they do not state on their site but it looks like they are using 1.625" diameter primaries vs. the S&S that I requested at 1.500" primaries. Too many people think BIGGER is better but in exhaust systems the is absolutely not correct. The S&S headers make more power and torque on the GS400s and 430s than the stock manifolds. The early SC400s I have said many times were overrated at 250hp since most dynos put stock cars at 175rwhp. With even a 25% drivetrain loss (probably closer to 22% in reality) this gives a true engine output of 233hp @ 25% loss and 224hp @ 22% loss. GS400s and 430s typically dyno stock around 235rwhp which gives a true engine output of 301hp @ 22% loss. This means that STOCK the GS has a solid 68hp-76hp advantage at the engine. So for the bottom line is that since 1.5" primaries make more power on the GS400 they are not going to restrict the SC400s and the smaller pipes make great response and torque something important to consider.

So, what about the ektuning headers? Well, they look pretty. Chrome plated or stainless I don't know because it doesnt say on their site. They do require moving the catalysts or deleting them just like the S&S but they will bolt directly to the stock exhaust. The S&S will need 2 adaptors to do the same. They do have provision for EGR. They are not emission legal. To the best of my knowledge these were not available before the S&S headers were made. They state a 20hp/20tq gain. The price is $999.

Old 10-14-06, 10:00 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

deleted double post

Last edited by JBrady; 10-14-06 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-14-06, 10:09 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

I just checked the ektuning site and wanted to see what they offered for other cars. The only product listed was the SC400 headers even though they have categories for Audi, BMW and Porsche. Has anyone talked to these people? Any history on them. Anyone seen a set of these headers or know of someone that has them? Do they make them or are they reselling them? Are these JDM parts or made in China? These are worthwhile questions on a $1000 purchase. I would like to see them installed in a USDM SC400. The headers are very wide near the steering column area. These cannot be used in GS400s as there is no way they would fit in the car. Do they fit right hand drive USA market SC400s for certain?
Old 10-14-06, 10:26 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

JB lazy? Come on....When you buy a product from any auto parts store you read the box, trust the application will apply to your vehicle and that is it...I don't think being lazy has anything to do with the short comings of the SC400S&S Headers and the fitment issues involved....

Maybe lazy should be directed to S&S headers Inc..and you for not fully creating a better fitting sc400 header design and or fully disclosing the fitment issues involved on their Sc400 S&S being sold now off the website...Again without insults I feel there is a lack of information that is being supplied to the average every day hotrodder that wants to purchase a set of S&S Headers for their SC400's...Bottom line.....

So you are saying everyone interested in these headers should not be lazy and use the search function on the CLub Forum to search out fitment issues on the sc400 S&S Headers before purchasing?...Yeah right, some people potentially buying your designed "SC400" S&S Headers are not even aware of the Club forums....See my point yet?...

I will be happy to send you guys my old discarded stock 1992 Sc400 headers if you would like to re-design the SC400 S&S headers for true and better fitment. or atleast some improved fitment issues...(EGR, flanges, length, etc. anything)...Then you can honestly say they are SC400 headers...Stick to the GS that is all I am saying and I believe that will be fair and honest business practice.....Common sense tells me this....
Attached Thumbnails Sc400 Headers-hpim0472.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 10-14-06 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-14-06, 02:17 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Honestly Jibbby, you need to carefully read the above post. I was not saying you are anyone else specifically is lazy. IMO you are definitely not lazy when it comes to many things. I was surprised you took this as directed at you. It was not.

ONE MORE TIME, where are these advertised by S&S to be a direct bolt in with no modification necessary? Where?

As for me being lazy... I had a set of the SC400 manifolds before I even had a set of GS400 manifolds and shipped them to S&S and were part of the consideration prior to construction. These issues were dealt with by me MANY times and in fact or in the VERY FIRST POST of the header thread prior to construction. All of these issues were addressed in the post and to individuals that PM'd me and in the commitment list and many many times since both on this forum and others. INCLUDING Lextreme where I personally instructed you and in fact went out of my way to educate you and even offered to send you my own set of headers so you would not have to wait.

If you do not appreciate that... so be it. My concern is that you make a claim that is SERIOUS and could be slanderous and libelous stating that deceptive advertising is happening. BACK THIS STATEMENT UP or TAKE IT BACK. Simple.

To be clear you need to SHOW where this specific claim is being made. It has NEVER been made by me and I am unaware of it being made by S&S. Again, specifically where and what is being said by S&S?

Last edited by JBrady; 10-14-06 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-14-06, 02:59 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

i dont care if they are direct bolt-on or not, for the price they are beautifully made w/ jethot. honestly you can't beat that. for my v6 car to get a quality set of headers w/ jethot would cost me over 1,000. i plan to do a full custom exhaust to match to these headers. so in short, it didnt bother me, i k new ahead of time, and yea, i would buy these again. cheers.
Old 10-14-06, 04:11 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jtucci
i dont care if they are direct bolt-on or not, for the price they are beautifully made w/ jethot. honestly you can't beat that. for my v6 car to get a quality set of headers w/ jethot would cost me over 1,000. i plan to do a full custom exhaust to match to these headers. so in short, it didnt bother me, i k new ahead of time, and yea, i would buy these again. cheers.
Right on! 100% I love my headers to! The $400 you save can help you complete the rest of the exhaust.
Old 10-15-06, 11:49 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jibbby
I will be happy to send you guys my old discarded stock 1992 Sc400 headers if you would like to re-design the SC400 S&S headers for true and better fitment. or atleast some improved fitment issues...(EGR, flanges, length, etc. anything)...Then you can honestly say they are SC400 headers...Stick to the GS that is all I am saying and I believe that will be fair and honest business practice.....Common sense tells me this....
Here is an idea that may help. If someone wants to send manifolds AND catalysts to S&S they could use those parts to create adaptors for the headers. I think it would cost about $150 for a pair of adaptors that would allow people to do a bolt on installation. An EGR flange could be included in the above but the location would requre a different EGR tube. Something an exhaust shop should be capable of doing. The cost of jigging up this effort would require that a number of people buy these adaptors. I suggest someone getting a group purchase together for this effort.
Old 03-07-19, 07:52 PM
Breez
Driver School Candidate

Default Buying headers

Can someone please sell me a pair of headers for my 2000 lexus gs400
Old 03-08-19, 07:01 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Breez
Can someone please sell me a pair of headers for my 2000 lexus gs400
this thread has been dead for 13 years, try facebook or ebay.
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (03-10-19)