Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Reversed Polarity / Sc300 5spd

Old 10-09-06, 10:00 PM
ldogsc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversed Polarity / Sc300 5spd

Please help,

I posted this topic on the lexusowners web site but have not received too many replies and any post that had this topic, never came to a resolution. I already have seen this topic on this site three times indicating relays or fuse problems.

I own a 92 Sc300 manual for approximatley 6yrs now and I love this car.
The car now has about 188,000 miles on it.

The problem goes like this.

Alternator went bad one day, but as I was trying to get the car home (being cheap), I left the car on the side
of the Garden State Parkway and decided to get a brand new battery and attempt to make the five miles or so home. Pep Boys apparently gave me the wrong battery, so when I attempted to install the battery the
way I thought it should be, the terminal cables on the car would not reach the battery post.
So, not thinking this guy gave me the wrong battery, I switched the battery around as it was a natural
fit. After doing this, the car would not even attempt to turn over.

Long and short, paid for a tow, got the alternator fixed (firestone), but the car would not start. Firestone tech did discover that the alternator relay 150amp was blown. Got another one and the car would attempt but wouldn't actually start. The car was not getting spark, however once in about ten tries it would finally turn over with the help of spraying some carb cleaner spray into one of the vacuums hoses? under the hood. Anyway, when it was running it was idling too high, and was very non responsive when driving (didn't cut off but would stall - was no reason for even coming out of second gear). The tech at firestone said it was over his head; so to the dealer we go. Dealer said that the ECU was bad after a two hour troubleshoot, and that I would need a new one
for 1200.00, plus labor, ouch, I'll be eating alot of those sandwiches.. I was hesitant to pay this, as the dealer said that this still might not fix the problem but they need to comunicate with the ECU. Just over the summer i put a new timing belt, 4 whl allignment, radiator, and tune up, and alternator. now this ECU, I love this car but
with 180,000 miles how much do I really want to spend. The KKBB value is definately not the value I see these 5spds going for when people are selling them. I can't imagine lexus making a car that totally f#@# up when reversing the polarity, so I'm hoping a new ECU will do it.

The car is pretty beat up on the inside but she was running like a champ prio to the altenator/reverse polarity issue. I was going to sell the car in the spring anyway and I was thinking of selling it now in it's current condition for 1500.00. If i do fix it, it will go for at least 4500.00, black ext., tinted windows, 19" giovanni kobes and upgraded audio. If anyone is interested in buying u can email me at l.clifton@xpedite.com, although i would love to have my car back!!! I'm not very mechanically inclined so I
usually go to the auto shop for damn near everything, and to lexus when my baby has a real problem.

I did see this topic approximately three times on this websit and none of them stated that the ECU was blown...

Any help would be appreciated, I'd hate to just strip the mods and donate it!!! That is not they way for my coupe to go. You can see two outside flics on myspace page

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...endID=89517058

Somebody let me know something...
Old 10-13-06, 03:04 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure sounds like a possible fried ECU.... That's going to be a hard one to track down unless you have a buddy who will lend you his for a quick check.... Just two big connector blocks to swap it out.