Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

annoying THONK sound!? + other concerns..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 04:18 AM
Sweetser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying THONK sound!? + other concerns..

Whenever I put it from P(ark) to R(everse) I hear a THOOONK sound. Does not sound normal. Also whenever I am pressing on the throttle and I LET OFF, I hear that same THOOONK sound. Then when I PRESS the throttle, I hear the THOONK again! What is wrong here??

Also, My girlfriend keeps on saying that because this is an old car it's going to break if I "drive it fast" and I was just wondering because sometimes for fun I like to smash the gas to the floor to do a semi-wheel spin out of the hole. She says "Smashing the gas to the floor from a dead stop will blow my half-shafts???" Any truth to this?

I was fooling around in the parking lot one day and trying to get the back-end to fish tail out (like a small drift/half-a-donut) and I am wondering what modifications do I need to do to be safe so I don't twist the chassis or break anything trying to drift the car? Strut bar? What do I need to support the vehicle when taking quick turns at 40 MPH? Pinion snubber?

P.S. What in the world is this on my rear view mirror and how do I fix it?

Last edited by Sweetser; 08-19-06 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-19-06, 04:23 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

I dont think you can just fix the rear view mirror thingy...Does it still cahnge dimness when you push the button? Im not sure how the mirror works but I would assume its a bad spot you are just gonna have to live with.
Old 08-19-06, 06:12 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sweetser
She says "Smashing the gas to the floor from a dead stop will blow my half-shafts???" Any truth to this?

I was fooling around in the parking lot one day and trying to get the back-end to fish tail out (like a small drift/half-a-donut) and I am wondering what modifications do I need to do to be safe so I don't twist the chassis or break anything trying to drift the car? Strut bar? What do I need to support the vehicle when taking quick turns at 40 MPH? Pinion snubber?
She's right , you will probably break something sooner or later driving like that all the time. You will definately wear out your parts faster. Once in a while is ok, but our cars are not really designed for that abuse in stock form at least.
I have no idea what mods you've made. Or your goals with it. But your driving style warrants a long list of of performance parts. An LSD, quality wide tires and definately a good suspension setup. Also a tranny cooler would be a good idea . The ? is , how much $$$$ do you want to put into it
BTW your GF sounds like a keeper , I dont know of too many girls that would even know what the hell a 1/2 shaft was . They would think you were talking about some poor guy with a small *****.
Old 08-19-06, 06:23 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I too had a thunk when going into reverse, it turned out to be bad transmission mounts. You might want to check them out.
Old 08-19-06, 08:58 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Yeah the mirror still dims when I push the button, but that mark stays there. I guess i'll just replace the mirror.

I don't always mash the gas from a dead stop, more like 3/4 throttle then when it goes to 2nd gear is when i push it all the way down. My car is bone stock. But usually since there is a really long onramp stretch on the highway after a stop light this is when I usually like to take it to 0 to 80-100 MPH. I just like the rush. Is it better to do that with O/D Off? I just want to buy parts so I don't damage anything by doing these "sprints" so to say.