Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Value of SC with GTE swap vs. NA-T

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 11:21 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Value of SC with GTE swap vs. NA-T

What are your guys' thoughts.

Would you say that an SC with a 1J or 2JzGTE swap be worth more than an SC with a proper NA-T turbo setup?

And to make it fair... lets say both put out the same horsepower... which would be worth more?
Old 08-02-06, 11:37 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say the swap would be more valuable. IMO, a professionally swapped Toyota drivetrain bolted to a JZZ30 chassis is more durable than a rebuilt GE block with a bolt on turbo kit. I feel that if Toyota has already spent tons of money and hours on R&D for the GTE engine then it's safer to go that route (swap) than to add on aftermarket parts/mods and boost a N/A GE engine. But that's just me.

If we're talking top line power, then bolt on turbo...if we're talking longevity of the engine and it's accompanying components, the swap

To me, longevity and durability are some of the most important things that makes a car valuable.
Old 08-02-06, 03:36 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think the dealer would care either way, i think it'd be a liablity if anything to sell a customer installed turbo'd SC. That was their feeling when i had my turbo teg.

selling a turbo charged SC to someone who knows what the car is and what it can do will yield a little more cash but again usually the rule (not always but usually) mods don't increase the value of the car.

i'd wager the GTE swap would up the value of the car significantly to someone who knew what they were buying. the na-t could be seen as a problem car being passed off to the buyer.
Old 08-02-06, 04:13 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

well.. someone who knew what they were buying would also know that there are JUST AS many potential problems with a swap.... and that it could be viewed as a problem car being passed off to the buyer as well.

And without getting technical... Anyone who knows about the 2JZ series motors also know that the GE and GTE blocks are pretty much the same, and that a proper NA-T setup would be just as reliable as a GTE (it's the equivalent of going single on a GTE).

I guess it just depends on who's looking to buy and whether or not they know what they're buying.
Old 08-02-06, 06:01 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ummagawd

And without getting technical... Anyone who knows about the 2JZ series motors also know that the GE and GTE blocks are pretty much the same, and that a proper NA-T setup would be just as reliable as a GTE (it's the equivalent of going single on a GTE).

I guess it just depends on who's looking to buy and whether or not they know what they're buying.

I agree, I was going to mention that the two engines share so much in common. As long as the NA-T is properly tuned and setup, I think the reliablity between the two is more than comparable.

A moot point if you ask me. Especially if the engines are generating a moderate amount of horsepower. Generally the more horsepower, the more things start to break - that goes with virtually any engine.

Last edited by Technics; 08-02-06 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-03-06, 03:07 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the GTE swap would definately bring more money if were comparing equal hp numbers. but it would cost more $$$ to do the gte swap, as compared to bolting a turbo to an N/A motor.

I'd bolt a single to an NA motor all day long before I swapped out a perfectly good GE motor for a GTE motor. I'm no expert on the 300 series cars by any means, correct me if I'm wrong, but slight compresson ratio difference, the distributer, and piston oil squirters being the only difference between the two.

If you wanted a total reliable package I could see spending the money and doing the GTE swap, but if you swaped a GTE and then put a single on that, it would be totally pointless.
Old 08-03-06, 08:39 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=, but if you swaped a GTE and then put a single on that, it would be totally pointless.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!

Oh well... I guess i'll go NA-T and just never sell the SC
Old 08-03-06, 10:53 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

NA-T. Car can be returned to stock relatively easily. The power / cost ratio of NA-T is more economical than doing the same with a 2JZ-GTE swap, even modding up to higher power levels. If you want a car that is 500whp+ drag/dyno queen and isn't really viable for street use...then yes, 2JZ-GTE all the way.

1JZ? With NA-T and 2JZ-GTE options, I don't completely understand the reasons with going 1JZ.

Being in CA, NA-T is also less hassle if you do happen to run into some trouble with the law.
Old 08-03-06, 04:31 PM
206bruce
Rookie

I think the value of a car depends on how many people it appeals to. The more people it appeals to, the higher it's value. This is represented in how most times a stock car is more "valuable" than a modded car.

However this theory can be trash if you can find the channel to sell to that individual(s) who is interested in this specific product. These such channels are clublexus.com or a custom shop to build that one off item for you.

So now that we got that square away, here's my order of value:
1) 2JZ GTE (Supra TT motor, enough said)

2) 1JZ GTE (Personally, I think NA motors are NOT meant to be turbo'd)

3) 2JZ GE NA-T (This could easily be ranked second, as other said 1-could easily be changed back to stock, 2-less hassle with the law, 3-and mostly because of what other's have done with this motor; 900+ horse power on stock bottom end or something like that)

Last edited by 206bruce; 08-03-06 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-03-06, 06:49 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

why is a NA motor not meant to be turboed?
Old 08-03-06, 08:20 PM
RS3
Driver School Candidate

I say 2JZ-GTE swaps are worth more than NA-T builds. There is a greater chance of the NA-T needing further development. The GTE, being factory built, seems a more trustworthy choice.

Cheers,
Old 08-04-06, 11:40 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

has anyone seen a TT SC400? i hearda bout it, but never seen it... sorry not trying to hi-jack, but just wondering if people have done that also
Old 08-05-06, 10:12 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Is this really up for debate? All power being equal, the GTE is going to handle the abuse alot better than a high mileage NA-T. To do a NA-T right, you'de want to rebuilt the engine wiht lower compression and stronger internals and at that point you have to be wondering why you didn't just swap the GTE in for less hassle, time and money. Personally, my weapon of choice is one of the newer VVTI 1J or 2J GTE's......VVTI comes in everything in Japan now and is less likely to abused or have high mileage. (ALso has alot of upgrades and the larger stock single turbo can handle more abuse than the weaker ceramic twin turbo setup on the older 1J)
Old 08-05-06, 11:41 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

The compression ratio is only like .5 a point or less difference between the two motors. It's negligable. The internals are the same except for the piston oil squirters. It's the almost the exact same motor. A ge might have less abuse because it didn't have two turbos bolted to it it's whole life. It's hard to say.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&goto=newpost
That's the TT V8 project Ryan's working on. It's nearing completion.
Old 08-05-06, 10:27 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Ive been thinking (actually obscessing) on this topic for months now. And deciding on the best way to go. I'm still not 100% sure , close though ..
As far as value, a 2jz-gte without a doubt is worth the most $. And would be the most desireable.
But remember you would be paying several thousands more in parts , and if you have to have it pro installed, its another 2500+ for installation. (Myself, to install a turbo kit myself seems doable, but a full swap ? .....No way would i even consider attempting it without help that is)
So even before going single You'll easily spend $5-7K min. that you wouldnt if you were just adding a turbo kit to your stock 2jz.....
Either way, you probably wont make a profit when you sell though.

As far as wich would be the most reliable?
Assuming your SC is low mileage, It seems to me that since the difference between the 2 is somewhat neglegible, aside from the tranny differences. That there would be alot less potential problems with just adding the turbo parts to your (somewhat) unmolested engine. Than there would be with a GTE swap.

Quick Reply: Value of SC with GTE swap vs. NA-T