Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Starting problem - just clicks - not a simple fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 03:22 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Starting problem - just clicks - not a simple fix

I know what your first thought is..... Heres the deal-

Car drove and started fine. One morning it turned over slower, and I thought....battery must be going. Got to work, turned off the engine. Just thought I'd test my theory and tried to re-start the car. Dead as a door ****. So after work, I pulled up our work truck (2006 Ford F-350) and tried to jump the car. Just clicked. So I let it charge for about 15 min w/ the jumpers. Tried to re-start again...just clicked a little faster. Then got desperate and hooked up another pair of jumper cables just incase the cables were small guage (2 are better than one). No dice, just fast clicking. Desperate times required desperate measures. I pulled out a charger/starter and dialed in start. The car still ticked so fast it sounded like a cross between a machine gun and a stun-gun (that fast of clicking). I disconnected the old battery thinking it might be an internal short.. I used the jumper starter and it still clicked as fast as can be. I put in another battery (unknown cranking power) and it still clicked.

I'm buying a new battery this weekend, and the starter is about 3 months old (bought a re-man from the parts store). I hope its not the starter. The car was down for several weeks trying to find the time (and patience) to do it myself.

I have searched and found info on the starter relay, but haven't looked into it much (not even sure if the thread was about the SC).

Any ideas? I've never heard a car tick so fast when trying to start. It is as fast as a stun gun but sounds exactly like a low battery click just a million times faster (doesn't sound like arcing, sounds like a low battery clicking). I've NEVER seen this before.

The starter/charger has started the car in the past instantly; I mean it cranks faster than a brand new barttery, so I know the starter/charger should be turning the engine over. I do not want to have my car towed to a mechanic if its some thing simple.

Anyone know what eaxctly is making the clicking? Is it just the solinoid? Why does it click?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks-
Old 07-27-06, 03:33 PM
ProjeKT SC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alternator?
Old 07-27-06, 03:39 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ProjeKT SC
alternator?
If the car is clicking doesn't it mean that his car isn't turning over and it's not an electrical problem? Maybe a fuel problem?
Old 07-27-06, 04:37 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by siniquezu
Maybe a fuel problem?
No, I don't think so. If it was a fuel problem the car would be trying to turn over, moreso than just clicking. Try jumping it from another battery and see if that helps. Basically disconnect someone elses battery and run the cables from their battery to your battery wires (Which obviously you would have disconnected from your own battery.)

Constant clicking usually means that it is not a starter problem.

Also check your battery cables and make sure it is grounding properly etc.

Jonny
Old 07-27-06, 05:36 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds stupid but check your battery connections if your battery tested good. The starter clicks when it cannot recieve enough current.
Old 07-27-06, 06:05 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

theres an engagement solenoid and then once its engaged, it engages the DC motor which turns the motor over. Sounds like the motor portion of the starter has eaten it, OR, there is an electrical connection inside the starter which tells the motor portion to engage which has disconnected. Either way, the starter sounds like its toast.
Old 07-28-06, 12:32 AM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

sounds like a starter to me. hit the starter with a hammer lightley how do the lights look when jump starting is everything working. are your battery termnals corroded at all or look rusted at the connectors. check the simple things first.
Old 07-28-06, 12:46 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago,i was leaving a friends house and had to get a jump,then 2 blocks down the road my car just died. I just got a ride back to my house and took my Bosch battery out of my subaru and put in my sc300 and everything was fine.Infact i still have it in there,lol.Let us know what happens
Richard
Old 07-28-06, 10:44 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Your starter is not bad, exhuast all other options before replacing it. They ever so rarely go bad on the SC's.
Old 07-28-06, 01:43 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Sounds stupid but check your battery connections if your battery tested good. The starter clicks when it cannot recieve enough current.

Bad ground cable?
Old 09-13-06, 03:28 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm having the same problem on my sc. i bought a used starter and as soon as the intake gaskets come in, i'm diggin in to replace it. i doubt it's the battery because a/c and stereo run fine, but the car won't start.
Old 09-13-06, 03:58 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well if you are using a jumper, you saw the terminals well enough to make sure there's no corrosion. . .
so i'm lost

useless post #5-0819723
Old 09-15-06, 09:13 AM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

sounds like the starter even though its new some freak thing coulda messed it up, dont waste your time with all kinds of crap, get the battery tested, take out the starter and get that tested too, then u will know if its something else
Old 09-15-06, 10:31 AM
Sintari
Rookie

AHAHHAHAHAHAHA! Some of you guys posts crack me up, but seriously, its the Starter. The battery is fine. Just trust me.
Old 09-17-06, 06:40 PM
ram3ez
Pole Position

same thing happened to me ......unscrew ur fuse box and check the FUSE for the alternator.

Quick Reply: Starting problem - just clicks - not a simple fix