Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Low Idle/Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 02:32 AM
Sweetser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Idle/Stalling Issue

So I went to my local Lexus dealer this afternoon and asked them to run the VIN number but it shows up blank because the car is from another state. I asked for them to do a diagnostic check to check the engine codes even though I don't have a check engine light on but they said they are going to charge me $120 + tax for each thing they do and even just something as small as to to run the engine code to see if anything shows up!

The only problem I seem to be having with my car is that when I turn it on, the idle is very close to 0 RPM. Like, it's idling at 150/200RPM. Then occasionally when I reverse and stop abruptly, It will stall. NO Check Engine Light is on. I cleaned my Air Filter, and I Made sure my Mass Air Sensor is plugged in nice and good. What else can be the problem? My Power Steering Pump isn't leaking, I checked. What about the Fuel Pump ECU? Is that something I have to replace or ByPass?? How about changing the Fuel Filter?

Now, is there any way to check if my car had the Timing Belt and Water Pump changed? I went to Midas to service my vehicle and they said they would check to see if anything was wrong with the car and they only changed my Oil, Oil Filter, Transmission Flush and Serpentine Belt. They didn't even change my Transmission Filter, Brake Fluid, Coolant flush, etc. Isn't that supposed to be part of a 150,000 Mile Service?? I'm starting to think twice about why I bought this car now ...
Old 07-11-06, 05:52 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would look at the throttle body for cleaning...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224751

Yes, all the fluids should be replaced
Old 07-11-06, 06:14 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

There should be a sticker on the side of your engine block or on the fan cover that reads at what mileage the timing belt was changed. Most owners change it around 70-90k, so at 150k or coming up soon you will be due for one. If that sucker breaks, you're screwed.
Old 07-11-06, 01:00 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Couldn't find any stickers anywhere in the engine I really hope it has been changed, I mean it had to of been, with 150,000 miles, because isn't it supposed to be changed around 90,000 and if not it would've probably broke by now. Is the Water Pump and Power Steering Pump supposed to be changed around that same time the timing belt is?

My girlfriend says instead of changing the transmission mount, I should get the transmission overhauled...anyone ever heard of that? I keep having her hear the "clunk/thunk" sound my car makes at around 30 MPH when I let off the gas/apply the gas from a roll.

So far, I got my Oil changed and Transmission flushed. What are the other coolants that need to be changed? Brake fluid, Coolant, Radiator, what are the others? I'm planning to do them all myself.
Old 07-12-06, 09:18 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fluids and Lubricants include

Engine coolant / antifreeze with distilled water
Engine oil
Automatic transmission fluid
Power steering fluid
Dot 3 Brake fliud
Rear differential fluid
Windshield washer fluid
Old 07-12-06, 09:45 AM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

"So I went to my local Lexus dealer this afternoon and asked them to run the VIN number but it shows up blank because the car is from another state"

Who told you that? Sounds like BS to me. They should be able to pull any service history on your car that was done at any lexus dealer. My local dealer did for me and saved me alot $$. Talk to another service rep.
Old 07-12-06, 02:11 PM
Sweetser
Driver

It was the lady in the service department. When she asked for my registration, I gave it to her and I guess she entered the last 6 of the VIN, ahd she tells me "We have no records of this car ever being serviced here. It's from another state. But you can call this number and ask them for info but I dont think they will give it to you because they will need your registration to confirm the car is yours"
Old 07-16-06, 02:13 PM
wyaaj812
Driver School Candidate

the clunking noise is a bad or worn out tranny mount.

as for the stalling low idle, I'd try putting a paperclip in fp and b+ ports of the diagnostic port on the engine. That bypasses the fuel pump ecu. If everything works fine with it bypassed then replace or fix that pump ecu.