Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I was thinking about a swap, but now im going with NA-T

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 01:41 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default I was thinking about a swap, but now im going with NA-T

I was thinking about a swap from a 2jzge to the 2jzgte, but i think its more trouble then I would want. So im now going the NA-T route. What is a good, decent priced kit for the sc300? I am not looking to create crazy horsepower. I just want a nice turbo set up that I can daily drive and not have too many problems with. I was thinking about a kit with the t60 or so sized turbo. I dont want anything to large. I want to produce around 300-350rwhp. please help me out with your opinions.

Last edited by racinstyle; 07-03-06 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 01:50 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

daveh kit is pretty good though you need a few parts to complete the kit. you could just source all the parts yourself for cheaper but then that could lead to its own set of troubles.

for the budget minded the daveh/DIY kit is the best way to go, the other NA-T kits are way pricey and all pretty much offer the same performance.

http://www.boostwerx.com/
Old 07-03-06, 02:20 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2037
Old 07-03-06, 05:32 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

on top of that kit what other parts will I need to have my car running correctly?
Old 07-03-06, 08:22 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

fuel pump, injectors (if exceeding ~300whp), fuel controller, intercooler piping, and misc stuff like boost gauge, turbo timer, hoses, and clamps.
Old 07-03-06, 09:31 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

I went into a very reputable shop today was the first shop ever to do the 240 engine swap with the Skyline engine, mostly they do 2jz work though. I was told not to use the turbo or wastegait from XS becuase both did not work well. Still though for the price its pretty good even if you have to spend 600-1000 bucks on a new turbo.
Old 07-03-06, 10:31 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

how long ago was this? XSPower has recently become a more reputable company in the last year or so with proven power and parts.
Old 07-04-06, 02:17 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

you don't need new injectors for 350rwhp, juse use a FMU
Old 07-04-06, 11:26 AM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

With that kit from XS, I would suggest a new turbo (after that would falls apart in 500 miles), a new wastegate because I don't trust those on anything but hondas at LOW boost.. Prob. a few misc. pieces of piping to make it work, and Im sure some misc. fittings... I would also have all the welds and bracing checked on the manifold. But other than that yea a great kit.. Spools like stock twins with that BIG AR backside...yea right.. I love it... And are these claims backed up, YES, I have atleast 8 turbos at my shop from them that didn't make it over a few months. Some didn't make it off the dyno.. Now with the claims they have became a rep. place to buy stuff now... Only time will tell... I have 2 turbos that the coldside snail actually fell apart because they were put togther with apoxy and not welded.... PROVE ME WRONG.... I have had good luck with the downpipes (most times) and the manifolds after they were checked and rebraced...The intercoolers seem to work ok.. NOW I HAVE NEVER used the 2JZGE stuff, I am talking about the B and D series stuff, the GTE stuff, and SR20 stuff... So if Im wrong please let me know because I could make alot of manoey off a 1299.00 GE kit that was as good as claimed.
Old 07-04-06, 12:32 PM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

Do you have pics of the broken turbos??

not trying to say your lying just wanna see
Old 07-04-06, 12:40 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tommyd1919
With that kit from XS, I would suggest a new turbo (after that would falls apart in 500 miles), a new wastegate because I don't trust those on anything but hondas at LOW boost.. Prob. a few misc. pieces of piping to make it work, and Im sure some misc. fittings... I would also have all the welds and bracing checked on the manifold. But other than that yea a great kit.. Spools like stock twins with that BIG AR backside...yea right.. I love it... And are these claims backed up, YES, I have atleast 8 turbos at my shop from them that didn't make it over a few months. Some didn't make it off the dyno.. Now with the claims they have became a rep. place to buy stuff now... Only time will tell... I have 2 turbos that the coldside snail actually fell apart because they were put togther with apoxy and not welded.... PROVE ME WRONG.... I have had good luck with the downpipes (most times) and the manifolds after they were checked and rebraced...The intercoolers seem to work ok.. NOW I HAVE NEVER used the 2JZGE stuff, I am talking about the B and D series stuff, the GTE stuff, and SR20 stuff... So if Im wrong please let me know because I could make alot of manoey off a 1299.00 GE kit that was as good as claimed.

so are the turbos and wastegates for the GE the same as the ones they use for the B and D series?
Old 07-04-06, 01:50 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onebadshot
I went into a very reputable shop today was the first shop ever to do the 240 engine swap with the Skyline engine, mostly they do 2jz work though. I was told not to use the turbo or wastegait from XS becuase both did not work well. Still though for the price its pretty good even if you have to spend 600-1000 bucks on a new turbo.
Curious which shop did you go to? I don't know of any "reputable" 2jz shops in Colorado.
Old 07-04-06, 08:11 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

I can get some pictures but why? We all on this forum seem to follow a certain creed with our cars, even if we go cheap in price most times its through used parts or fabrication we do ourself. Plus labor done ourself. Not through cheap quality parts. Now XS may have changed in the past little while but I don't know about that. I don't want to see fellow members go through the same stuff I have seen numerous people go through in the past. While I sit idle with my opinion that may have helped someone with there decision. I by no means want to upset, I just want to tell what I have personally seen. My experiences, And thats a few of them. You can search alittle and see plenty of examples of XS and SS Autochrome turbo and wastegate failures.
Old 07-05-06, 10:21 AM
onebadshot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TurboB6
Curious which shop did you go to? I don't know of any "reputable" 2jz shops in Colorado.
9 second racing in Broomfield, also called Redline motor sports(lots of 2jz work done up there) up in Fort Collins and they said the same thing. That I would be replacing the turbo. Did you do your swap yourself?