Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can you supercharge an SC400 VVTI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 05:41 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you supercharge an SC400 VVTI?

I have searched high and low on many different websites and not found a clear answer to this.

What I am wanting is an Eaton M90 kit that will fit a 98+ American SC400. I dont want to go over 5psi, but I didnt know if the VVTI could handle it (much like the VVTI version of the 2jz cant handle as much boost as the 92-97 2jz's). I am zeroing in on a 98-99 Ruby Red SC400, and I would like it to have a little more kick. Plus I think an Eaton that was powdercoated the same color as the car would look very nice when you opened the hood.

Any knowledge about this is most welcome, and I thank you in advance.
Old 06-27-06, 05:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Sure can. I've got a RMM/UPRD designed Vortech setup on my 98 GS400 with the same motor.

5psi with the RMM kit will get you about 75hp. On a typical setup like mine you add a air/fuel controller, up the injectors and fuel pump and a smaller pulley and you can get 365 - 400 rwhp.
Old 06-27-06, 07:18 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Psionic
I have searched high and low on many different websites and not found a clear answer to this.

What I am wanting is an Eaton M90 kit that will fit a 98+ American SC400. I dont want to go over 5psi, but I didnt know if the VVTI could handle it (much like the VVTI version of the 2jz cant handle as much boost as the 92-97 2jz's). I am zeroing in on a 98-99 Ruby Red SC400, and I would like it to have a little more kick. Plus I think an Eaton that was powdercoated the same color as the car would look very nice when you opened the hood.

Any knowledge about this is most welcome, and I thank you in advance.
For most factory engines, 5 psi can blow the piston/rings/rods if there's no proper fuel system installed. However, with a proper fuel system (you don't even need to retard the timing), 5 psi is a piece of cake. Relatively week old Civic or Corolla used to run 5 psi for years. The fuel system in this low boost setup only needs a Fuel Management Unit and a high-flow high-pressure fuel pump. You don't even need any aftermarket ECU, bigger fuel injectors, or timing control module. This setup is safe to around 9 psi max. Several SC400 and LS400 have been know to run 14-18 psi daily in stock engines. Of course, they're used with thicker head gaskets, aftermarket ECU, fuel injectors, and a hi-performance fuel pump. For more info, check out this website: www.lextreme.com.
Old 06-27-06, 09:02 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stevechumo
For most factory engines, 5 psi can blow the piston/rings/rods if there's no proper fuel system installed. However, with a proper fuel system (you don't even need to retard the timing), 5 psi is a piece of cake. Relatively week old Civic or Corolla used to run 5 psi for years. The fuel system in this low boost setup only needs a Fuel Management Unit and a high-flow high-pressure fuel pump. You don't even need any aftermarket ECU, bigger fuel injectors, or timing control module. This setup is safe to around 9 psi max. Several SC400 and LS400 have been know to run 14-18 psi daily in stock engines. Of course, they're used with thicker head gaskets, aftermarket ECU, fuel injectors, and a hi-performance fuel pump. For more info, check out this website: www.lextreme.com.
I wouldnt even change the fuel pump for 5psi, I ran 10psi on the stock pump with not issue.
Old 06-28-06, 12:04 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by morris
I wouldnt even change the fuel pump for 5psi, I ran 10psi on the stock pump with not issue.
Yep, that's doable. But that depends on other components as well such as if the rising rate FMU is installed or if you're running an aftermarket ECU with larger fuel injectors. Rising rate FMU always needs to be safe to be used with high-flow high-pressure fuel pump. In this case, it's more about pressure than just fuel flow capacity. I wouldn't risk the fuel pump to max out, which will lead to a disaster. A new Walbro or MSD is only around $150. It's worth the investment 100%.
Old 06-28-06, 04:06 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

WEll thats my point I would not install a fpr for 5psi, the larger injectors would be fine, Just look at the RMM kit they ran in excess of 5psi and RMM didnt reccomend a larger pump or fpr. But they did use larger injectgors and a piggyback when you went up to like 7psi or higher

Sure it wouldnt hurt anytihng but my point is if you are only doing 5psi, based upon experience of several board members as well as aftermarket fi suppliers such as RMM it is not required.

PS the pump may be about 150 but you didnt factor in the return lines and the labor to install the pump and return lines. or larger supply line for that matter, if you were so inclined.

Last edited by morris; 06-28-06 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-28-06, 06:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

WEll thats it I would install a fpr for 5psi, the larger injectors would be fine, Just look at the RMM kit they ran in excess of 5psi and RMM didnt reccomend a larger pump or fpr. But they did use larger injectgors and a piggyback
Morris, I think the kit as designed by RMM/UPRD and sold by RMM did not come with ANY piggyback. I also don't think that it came with larger injectors (don't think it did, but I'm less certain of that than I am the air/fuel control). They did extensive testing with the SC on a number of VVT-I 1UZ cars in so cal with no issues before selling the product (one of those former test mule cars is here on CL owned by RMMGS4).

I think you'd certainly be smarter to include these things (injectors, higher flow fuel pump, piggyback) in your buildup, just saying that other approaches at low boost have been taken successfully.
Old 06-28-06, 06:32 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Thanks Dave what I typed was not what I wanted to say, I actually edited the post.
And your right they didnt include a piggyback or larger injectors for the reccomended 5psi if I remember correctly. They only suggested its use if you went up in boost
Old 06-28-06, 01:49 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

......PS the pump may be about 150 but you didnt factor in the return lines and the labor to install the pump and return lines. or larger supply line for that matter, if you were so inclined.
As a rule of thumb for forced induction, no matter what the engine is capable of, a hi-flow hi-pressure fuel pump is always recommended. I've been building turbocharger systems on many Honda/Acura for 7 years, plus doing researches with the pros, I know that requirement as a survival factor. For the Walbro that fits into the stock location, you don't need any more fuel line. For the MSD or Vortech, you might need some more high pressure fuel lines, but the lines/fittings are so cheap for around variable $15. And the installation is so easy too. Once the person knows how to install the forced induction system, that's no big deal at all. I really don't see why not having a hi-flow hi-pressure there. It's like you invest in a few grands for the system, blowing up the system only because of $150. That doesn't seem right.
Old 06-29-06, 05:44 AM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Here's what Andrew Mueller emailed me:

"As for modifications, with 5-6lb boost, the std ECU will handle that, a piggy back tuner is a benefit, not needed for regular driving, you need to change the fuel reg to a rising rate type, run a least one range colder on the plugs, that's it."

and then:

"the need for a rising rate fuel reg is to maintain even pressure throughout the boost range"

This is for the Eaton M90 kit out of Austrailia though, not the RMM kit. Although, it is nice to know that the RMM kit has no problems with VVT-i (I had read somewhere that VVT-i didnt like boost...).
Old 06-30-06, 12:42 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Psionic
Here's what Andrew Mueller emailed me:

"As for modifications, with 5-6lb boost, the std ECU will handle that, a piggy back tuner is a benefit, not needed for regular driving, you need to change the fuel reg to a rising rate type, run a least one range colder on the plugs, that's it."

and then:

"the need for a rising rate fuel reg is to maintain even pressure throughout the boost range"

This is for the Eaton M90 kit out of Austrailia though, not the RMM kit. Although, it is nice to know that the RMM kit has no problems with VVT-i (I had read somewhere that VVT-i didnt like boost...).
Yes, those are what exactly needed for a low boost system. A rising rate FMU should always come with hi-pressure hi-flow fuel pump. A funny thing is that the colder sparkplugs in a turbo/supercharge systems are usually the cheapest kind. You can run Iridium ($7/each) plugs but the $2 a piece plugs are just perfect. If you run the colder plugs from the other cars, you may need to gap the plugs. And that's the only thing you can save in a forced induction system.

I heard the Eaton kit from the F.A.T. manufacturer will need some modifications for the manifold to fit into the SC400. You should ask for more details. For most cars, if you mention the VVT-I didn't like boost, but I doubt it at 5-6 psi, the problem is mostly from the ECU. However, if you run a standalone ECU, it should solve the problem.
Old 06-30-06, 05:32 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

DaveGS4 - I didn't know you were supercharged....Cool, how do you like it? Is it reponsive running off your crank pulley and have you experienced any belt slippage at high rpms? Vortech not even an Eaton....Wow. I am suprised you did not opt to turbo instead...Any regrets?

I would still like to supercharge my 1uz-fe one day... Just have something for the superchargers, Paxton, Vortechs, etc... The Eaton M90 designed and manufactured in Aussie land seems to be the choice for pre-fabed superchargers for the SC's.....So Rod Millen hooked you up with the Vortech and intake manifold design? I would love to see a picture of that....

Did I ask enough questions for you? Answer half and I will be happy... I think you need to up the boost, because 75hp is a tease in my opinion... Cool anyway...

Hey Steve
Old 06-30-06, 05:43 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

here you go
Attached Thumbnails Can you supercharge an SC400 VVTI?-suipercharger.jpg  
Old 06-30-06, 06:29 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Dave,
You got a nice supercharger setup there. It's a dream. It looks like a Vortech, but I don't recall if Vortech has the rib pulleys. I think it uses smooth pulleys instead. Why did you take off the belt? Is it under construction? When it's done, please post the results and let us share your dream. The VVT-I looks like it has more room than the 1UZFE.
Old 06-30-06, 06:44 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Uuummm, thats not daves car. His is so clean you could run your tounge around
on it & not get any taste. Unbeleaveable I'll allow him to reply/ post up.

Quick Reply: Can you supercharge an SC400 VVTI?