Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 08:14 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

My car is overheating. It looks to me like no coolant is being let through the head. The top hose swells up. The bottom hose feels like there is no coolant running through it and it is also not that hot when I squeeze it. I replaced my fan clutch about a week ago so it cant be that. It steams up from the top neck area where the head is. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem?
Old 06-21-06, 08:21 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many miles are on your car? I'm no expert, but it could be a number of things ......bad water pump, thermostat went out, clogged radiator.
Old 06-21-06, 08:22 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
My car is overheating. It looks to me like no coolant is being let through the head. The top hose swells up. The bottom hose feels like there is no coolant running through it and it is also not that hot when I squeeze it. I replaced my fan clutch about a week ago so it cant be that. It steams up from the top neck area where the head is. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem?
I'm guessing thermostat....
Old 06-21-06, 09:30 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

ya it sounds like a thermostat prob.
Old 06-21-06, 09:44 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
I'm guessing thermostat....
I doubt it is the thermostat since there is no water flow coming out of the motor. A cloggled radiator or a bad water pump could be real good possibilities. Ive taken another look under the hood and so far Im leaning more towards a bad water pump.

My car has 250k+ miles on the motor.
Old 06-21-06, 10:08 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Thermostats are only $10, just go get one and then at least you'll know. It'll save you problems down the road.
Old 06-21-06, 10:21 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Careless error. It is now 10:30pm. So its nice and dark outside. I decide to take another look at it. I filled the radiator up and took it down the street at high RPMs. I came back, popped the hood, and shined some light at it with a flashlight. It was so much easier to see that the leak coming out from the head was just only a leak coming out from the radiator hose. The hose seams to be leaking from the clamp area. Since the hose is so old I guess it just decided to crack under pressure. Time for a new one.
Old 06-21-06, 11:22 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Careless error. It is now 10:30pm. So its nice and dark outside. I decide to take another look at it. I filled the radiator up and took it down the street at high RPMs. I came back, popped the hood, and shined some light at it with a flashlight. It was so much easier to see that the leak coming out from the head was just only a leak coming out from the radiator hose. The hose seams to be leaking from the clamp area. Since the hose is so old I guess it just decided to crack under pressure. Time for a new one.
haha, good stuff. It's always the little things. Hope it works out
Old 06-22-06, 06:31 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

I doubt it is the thermostat since there is no water flow coming out of the motor. A cloggled radiator or a bad water pump could be real good possibilities. Ive taken another look under the hood and so far Im leaning more towards a bad water pump.

My car has 250k+ miles on the motor.

well if there is no water coming in... there can't be any water coming out.... Try thermostat but , use a Toyota one.
Old 06-22-06, 08:07 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Assuming it has been a while since you had your coolant replaced....

A leaking hose could be symptomatic of the coolant flow restriction. With your mileage, more than likely a combination of failures.

Radiator clogged... this would be my first test. A good radiator speciality shop can perform tests with the radiator still in the auto. They have access to good value replacements, since this is their business.

Thermostat sticking... Second; replace with a radiator replacement, if a new one is needed

Water pump internal seal failing due to the blockage.... questionable; It's pumping enough to cause the hose to leak.

Additionally, suggest replacing all the water hoses at the same time. Keeps those surprises down to a mininum.
Old 06-22-06, 07:42 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Yes I am actually going to go run out and replace all the hoses right now. I was looking into buying some radiator hardpipes to prevent swelling also. Thanks everyone for your advice. These tips I'll definetly keep in mind.