Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bov noise level

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 09:31 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bov noise level

Would putting 2 bov's in the same area inches away from each other be any louder than putting them in 2 seperate locations given the same amount of opening for the air to vent to atmosphere. I heard that it is normally 3-6 dbs higher when mounted next to each other. Any truth in this?
Old 06-01-06, 02:36 AM
Mwmorph
Driver

why not recirculate the bovs? It would benefit your turbo as far as pressure goes even more and the noise is almost completely gone.
Old 06-01-06, 02:38 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Call me a ricer but I like the noise...
Old 06-01-06, 03:27 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Do you know how loud 3-6db increase is? That's a pretty massive increase in sound.

I dunno why you would need 2 bov's unless you're running some major boost...even then i've only seen dual BOV setups on highly modified turbo rotaries. I'd imagine you'd have to spend a bit of time adjusting the in-line BOVs to get them to operate properly.

Generally I would think moving up to a larger BOV such as a SARD Racing BOV or TIAL with a stronger spring would be better than running two smaller valves.

The SARD BOV

http://www.more-japan.com/SARD-Racin...E-p-17135.html

SARD and TIAL have more of a no nonsense sound, which is more like a high pressure "whoosh" sound.

Show off valves, gotta love em.
Old 06-01-06, 04:30 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't need 2 blow off valves on a 1JZGTE for sure. Not so sure with a 2JZGTE with it's sequential set up (unless you've gone big single), but I'd rather be running an external wastegate... mmm... wastegate
Old 06-02-06, 12:24 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

I understand that a bigger bov might be better for my application but I already have a hks ssq. I don't want to get it removed from my IC pipes and put on a bigger bov that probably won't open under low boost. Besides, I already bought the 2nd bov . I just want to know if mounting 2 bovs in the same location or close to would yield any higher noise level than if I were to mount them in seperate locations.
Old 06-02-06, 12:35 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
You don't need 2 blow off valves on a 1JZGTE for sure. Not so sure with a 2JZGTE with it's sequential set up (unless you've gone big single), but I'd rather be running an external wastegate... mmm... wastegate

Even with a wastegate you still need a bov though. Unless your talking about using a wastegate as a bov. I don't have a big enough turbo for that lol.
Old 06-02-06, 03:18 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, you know what to do So when's the big *** single coming?

I prefer the Blitz blow off valves (dunno why, I just like them).
Old 06-02-06, 09:31 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Well, if you are able to set them to go off in parallel, it should amplify the sound a little bit. You will have a sneezing car with two SSQV's.
Old 06-02-06, 10:33 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Mike, shouldn't they go off at the same time since they are both running off a vac source. I don't see why they wouldn't go off at the same time. Kind of confused

Well it's a hks mixed with a blitz so we will see how it sounds =)
Old 06-02-06, 10:39 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Originally Posted by mrshabo
Call me a ricer but I like the noise...
What is a ricer? I thought a ricer was like an over done looking 4 cylinder Honda, carbon fiber pink hoods, etc...Ricey...Something a teen age Asian boy would be driving or something like that....Am I wrong?

Last edited by jibbby; 06-02-06 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-02-06, 12:13 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

Originally Posted by jibbby
What is a ricer? I thought a ricer was like an over done looking 4 cylinder Honda, carbon fiber pink hoods, etc...Ricey...Something a teen age Asian boy would be driving or something like that....Am I wrong?
Ricer means any person that mods a car to make it look, or in this case sound faster than it really is. This is borderline and definitely not my cup of tea.

I was bothered by 7psi blow off of a stock porsche 911 turbo BOV no my old turboed MR2-Spyder to recirculate it though and I might just be one of them sot ardent supporters of sleepers so I have to say I am biased.

However, i am a little skeptical about dual bovs. I mean even the smallest pressure difference between the tow might compromise the effectiveness of 1 or the other.

Last edited by Mwmorph; 06-02-06 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 12:37 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Or a ricer could be someone that googles a Dyno Sheet and post it as their own............
Old 06-02-06, 12:44 PM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

by using two blow offs you really wont get any more sound out of them unless you are putting out a substantial amount of horsepower at over 1 bar of boost which equals out to around 14.7 psi. anything under that you wont be able to tell because you're utilizing all of the pressure through one valve. i do know however when you mount the blowoff(s) close to the intercooler, it does tend to sound off a bit louder.
Old 06-02-06, 07:45 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cherplex
Or a ricer could be someone that googles a Dyno Sheet and post it as their own............
OUCH!

There really is no need to run dual BOV unless you are exceding the current max psi for that BOV. From my knowledge the HKS SSQV's will hold a max of 25psi. Now in some circumstances people will run 2 BOV to make sure there isn't any compressor surge whatsoever. But most BOV manufactures offer different springs depending on how much boost you plan on running.

Quick Reply: bov noise level