Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

loss of low-end after tranny rebuilt...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 03:05 AM
themustafa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of low-end after tranny rebuilt...

1994 sc400 w/ 90k

so, my transmission was totally rebuilt and a new torque converter installed last week due to water in the transmission ($3500 job, glad insurance paid for all but 500 of it). since I picked it up, I've noticed a few things:

1. transmission shifts a lot smoother, awesome

2. when putting the car in gear (D or R) from P or N, the car jumps a lot. If i slide it into D from N, the car will jump forward a few feet if I'm not braking. It used to do this somewhat before, but not nearly as much. Now shifting is like trying to ride a bull.

3. lost a LOT of low-end torque. the car doesnt even really start moving until it hits 2.5-3k now. I can't swang the car around corners like i used to. In addition, when stopped on a hill, the car will now slide backwards in drive. it didnt do this before.

4. yesterday I took it for a little drive (with my friend in his boxter), and at a light i had the car in neutral and i gunned it to about 5k. the car jumped forward after I took my foot off the gas. wtf? I couldn't get the problem to repeat itself.

Thoughts? In addition to the tranny being rebuilt, the only other things that have changed are the fuel filter being replaced (had to cut the fittings off and use hoses and hose clamps, old fittings were rusted and seized), and the coolant system flushed and refilled with coolant/water wetter/distilled water. I dont think any of these are related, but I thought i'd note them. In addition, I'm 95% sure I have a problem with the passenger side cat, but even with this, the car was fast prior to tranny rebuild, so I don't think its related either.

So, thoughts on what could be the problem? Is the new torque converter possibly of poor quality? Loose tranny mounts? I'm going to take it to the tranny shop this week sometime, but I'd like to point them in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-06, 05:46 AM
fjurado1
Rookie

Originally Posted by themustafa
1994 sc400 w/ 90k

so, my transmission was totally rebuilt and a new torque converter installed last week due to water in the transmission ($3500 job, glad insurance paid for all but 500 of it). since I picked it up, I've noticed a few things:

1. transmission shifts a lot smoother, awesome

2. when putting the car in gear (D or R) from P or N, the car jumps a lot. If i slide it into D from N, the car will jump forward a few feet if I'm not braking. It used to do this somewhat before, but not nearly as much. Now shifting is like trying to ride a bull.

3. lost a LOT of low-end torque. the car doesnt even really start moving until it hits 2.5-3k now. I can't swang the car around corners like i used to. In addition, when stopped on a hill, the car will now slide backwards in drive. it didnt do this before.

4. yesterday I took it for a little drive (with my friend in his boxter), and at a light i had the car in neutral and i gunned it to about 5k. the car jumped forward after I took my foot off the gas. wtf? I couldn't get the problem to repeat itself.

Thoughts? In addition to the tranny being rebuilt, the only other things that have changed are the fuel filter being replaced (had to cut the fittings off and use hoses and hose clamps, old fittings were rusted and seized), and the coolant system flushed and refilled with coolant/water wetter/distilled water. I dont think any of these are related, but I thought i'd note them. In addition, I'm 95% sure I have a problem with the passenger side cat, but even with this, the car was fast prior to tranny rebuild, so I don't think its related either.

So, thoughts on what could be the problem? Is the new torque converter possibly of poor quality? Loose tranny mounts? I'm going to take it to the tranny shop this week sometime, but I'd like to point them in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry to hear about the tranny probplems. Please gentlemen try and never have any of your OEM motors or tranny's rebuilt. Just do a search for used Japanese motors or tranny's and purchase one of them. The tranny's cost under $450.00 and the motors might cost around $700.00. These 2 items are not in high demand,so it is always better to stay in OEM specs.
Old 05-30-06, 05:54 AM
themustafa
Rookie

Originally Posted by fjurado1
Sorry to hear about the tranny probplems. Please gentlemen try and never have any of your OEM motors or tranny's rebuilt. Just do a search for used Japanese motors or tranny's and purchase one of them. The tranny's cost under $450.00 and the motors might cost around $700.00. These 2 items are not in high demand,so it is always better to stay in OEM specs.
I don't know where you are getting $450 from, but the lexus dealership quoted me $5k just for a lexus rebuilt transmission, not including labor for removal and reinstallation. I'd personally rather have my own transmission rebuilt than just throw on an untouched transmission from unknown origin and with unknown maintenance records that could fail at any time; it'll probably have to eventually be rebuilt anyway.

Aside from the above problems, which I think can be fixed relatively easily, the rebuilt transmission performs flawlessly. The gear shifts now are seamless compared to what they used to be, and i'm sure this tranny will be solid for at least another 100k.
Old 06-01-06, 04:42 PM
themustafa
Rookie

come on guys, any more ideas?

lexus tech told me over the phone today that it was either the torque converter, or the "bands" in the tranny were too loose. sound right?

should i demand that the tranny shop replace the aftermarket torque converter with a lexus oem one? the one they used was 350 and made by "denco" or something, and the lexus one is about 800 from the dealer.
Old 06-01-06, 05:25 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have much indepth knowledge on trannys, but was the TC a direct replacement? I would try to find a used OEM Lexus one for your year engine, or for the $800 lexus wants to charge you, get a reputable aftermarket TC, like the "dragon" with a customizeable stall.
Old 06-01-06, 08:53 PM
themustafa
Rookie

Originally Posted by T0ked
I don't have much indepth knowledge on trannys, but was the TC a direct replacement? I would try to find a used OEM Lexus one for your year engine, or for the $800 lexus wants to charge you, get a reputable aftermarket TC, like the "dragon" with a customizeable stall.
no, apparently it was a dayco brand torque converter. I'm looking for specs, but i cant find anything. anyone know anything about these?
Old 06-02-06, 12:45 AM
themustafa
Rookie

great, now the tranny is making clicking noises. I think i'm going to ask my adjuster if i can take it to lexus tomorrow.
Old 06-02-06, 06:40 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Used Tranny is $450, you spendt $3500 rebuilding yours. I see why you did that but there are much cheaper alternatives. Even if you had to drop in a used tranny twice to your car it still probably woulnd't cost as much as $3500.

All you have to do is find one out of a wrecked car or something. They really aren't hard to come by. Transmissions in the Lexus don't go out that often, and if you found one with low miles then I would have jumped on that.

I agree though, dont ever have your engine or transmission rebuilt, just replace them. I jsut have my engine replaced with one with 107k (I have 160k and blew a headgasket on my old one), and the car runs and drives better and stronger than before.

You need to find a reputable repair shop, one that may even have lexus certified tech's, but find a trustworth independent repair shop and stop going to Lexus for prices on everything. Everything Lexus tells you, just cut it in half or even more and thats how much it would cost to have done with a little research and planning. Do you really want to pay them $99/hr for labor when another shop will charge $59/hr??
Old 06-03-06, 03:32 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

I worked for Ford as a heavy truck tech for a while and re-built truck transmissions. It sounds like the bands are loose, the pump is not keeping pressure, there may be some trash in the valvebody and last but not least if thay put a "dayco" torque converter in I would demand that thay get it out. I have NEVER seen one work just right. Some work "ok" but most dont.