Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Auto to Manual SCs

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 02:34 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to Manual SCs

This is to all the people who have changed out the transmission on an SC300 from Auto to Manual. Have you ever noticed that loud wining noise you hear coming from the center console? Its the sound of the gears spinning. Ever notice alot of heat come out of the center console also when you open up a window? I guess opening a window creates suction and all the heat goes out in the direction that the window is opened. What I want to know is what you guys did to eliminate all the noise and heat coming out of the center console.

What I did so far was just tack bolted a metal plate on the transmission tunnel so that only the shifter can go through. That eliminated some of the noise and heat. I have the new shift boot on and the shift **** but I can still feel the heat and I can still hear the a bit of the loud whining.
Old 05-28-06, 08:12 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

When you say new shifter boot, do you mean the leather one you see inside the car?
Or the thick rubber one thats underneath the consule?
Old 05-29-06, 10:53 AM
PsiQo1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
This is to all the people who have changed out the transmission on an SC300 from Auto to Manual. Have you ever noticed that loud wining noise you hear coming from the center console? Its the sound of the gears spinning. Ever notice alot of heat come out of the center console also when you open up a window? I guess opening a window creates suction and all the heat goes out in the direction that the window is opened. What I want to know is what you guys did to eliminate all the noise and heat coming out of the center console.

What I did so far was just tack bolted a metal plate on the transmission tunnel so that only the shifter can go through. That eliminated some of the noise and heat. I have the new shift boot on and the shift **** but I can still feel the heat and I can still hear the a bit of the loud whining.

shoulda jus bought a 5speed..lol..jus playin..check your pm
Old 05-29-06, 06:26 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by supra dr
When you say new shifter boot, do you mean the leather one you see inside the car?
Or the thick rubber one thats underneath the consule?
I have that rubber one on there but the one I mentioned above is I guess what some people call a "center console". Any help?
Old 05-29-06, 06:34 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

I'm more confused now. Anyway there should be NO airflow from the shifter into the car.
Should be 100% air & water tight. If air can enter in so can exhaust fumes - bad.
Old 05-29-06, 07:28 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Yes that is exactly what is happening. I want to know what other fellow swappers did you avoid this problem.
Old 05-30-06, 08:48 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have a air-tight steal, had a total of like 4-5 rubber pieces that went on the shifter...it was insane.
i can still touch the sides of the center consol and feel hotness, but nothing like heat Pouring out of there.
Yes my legs get hotter, but it's prob because i have no AC iunno what happened there during the swap.

basically i have nothin for ya...givin ya a free bump
Old 05-30-06, 10:21 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Are your cats clogged? Those will create a lot of excess heat, but it shouldn't have anything to do with whether the window is opened or not.
Old 05-30-06, 06:24 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Yes that is exactly what is happening. I want to know what other fellow swappers did you avoid this problem.
I cant find the pic.. But there's supposed to be a 4"X4" thick rubber boot @ the base of
the shifter screwed down on to the tunnel. That will keep the air & water out.
Old 05-30-06, 07:35 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by supra dr
I cant find the pic.. But there's supposed to be a 4"X4" thick rubber boot @ the base of
the shifter screwed down on to the tunnel. That will keep the air & water out.
Yeah I know what you are talking about. I have that screwed down but heat still goes through. I was thinking of sealing all the edges off with some silicone or dynamat. Im getting pretty desprate as you might have noticed.
Old 05-30-06, 07:39 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
Are your cats clogged? Those will create a lot of excess heat, but it shouldn't have anything to do with whether the window is opened or not.
Im not sure if they are. But I'll definetly look into that thanks. If they are clogged I'll just gut them until I can get a 3" one when I redo the exhaust again. Also, when the car is in motion and you have all the windows up, when you open one about an inch you will notice that it will create suction when you hear all the wind noise. Trust me I feel it. Thanks for the help though.
Old 06-05-06, 09:37 AM
2JZGTE SC
Rookie

Default Heat

I also did the sway into my SC. When the windows are closed and its hot out, that transmission gets very hot.

But help ,me out here, my **** to my climate controls stopped working, you can spin it but it is stuck @ 75 degrees.
Old 06-05-06, 02:48 PM
dantheman8
Driver School Candidate

is there a good source of parts/information for the swap you guys have done? i have been looking around but keep finding bits and pieces, nobody has given a complete descritpion of what they did or what parts they needed. if any of you feel like it could you email be a description of what you did and waht you needed for the job? how many hours of work and if machine shop work was needed would also be helpful. you can email me at englishdaniel@gmail.com
thanks
dan
Old 06-05-06, 06:38 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Yeah I know what you are talking about. I have that screwed down but heat still goes through. I was thinking of sealing all the edges off with some silicone or dynamat. Im getting pretty desprate as you might have noticed.
What edges do you speak of?

Some other car manufacturers use a insulation material around the shifter & tunnel area.
Kinda looks like carpet underlayment. Would def need to be non flamible.