Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OMG. please read. Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 10:51 AM
NYCsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG. please read. Axle?

Sup guys, i been a member for about 3yr now and never had a big problem w/ my SC till the other day. Heres the story. I was drivin on da highway going about 45miles and i hear this grinding noise coming from the back wheels. i pulled over and looked and did not see anything. So stupid me drove the car a few blocks and BOOOOOM. It felt like a bomb blow up under my car. All six axle nuts that connect to da gear came out. How da hell does something like that happen. And it happen on da rear driver side so car could not move. My boy came with his tow truck and we towed it from da front (bad idea) on neutral and da axle spun and ripped my exshast out. cuz he had a car on da flat bed so he towed it from back of his truck. This is before i new what the problem was. I'll put pics later today. Have 2 get it out of my phone , going to lexus of mann. to get these lock nuts..... They said its 3.29each not bad for new york. Did this happen to any of you guys/girls please let me no.
thanks

Last edited by supra dr; 05-22-06 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-22-06, 02:57 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

Grinding usually means a wheel bearing problem. As for six axle nuts connected to gear, I'm not sure what you mean, we have 5 lug nuts. Maybe you are talkingabout the bolts for the differential cover? I've never counted how many there are, but I think thats 8. The driveshat?(4 bolts there I think) The halfaxle?

As a general reminder next time, any time some sort of irregular noise like say a slap or squael happens when it's not supposed to, it's probably not a good idea to keep driving, as in this case of metal on metal grinding.
Old 05-22-06, 07:39 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I beleave what he was describing was the left axle (1/2 shaft) came unbolted
from the differential flange. (6 bolts)

Last edited by supra dr; 05-24-06 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-22-06, 07:58 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 foolish mistakes in one day. I ought to scold you, but on second thought perhaps I'll provide some insight. First of all, those axle bolts are pretty darn strong. They don't just snap without just cause. Something else locked up, perhaps the wheel bearing, and will need immediate attention before you can think about changing those bolts. Then comes the matter of the exhaust. Depending where it ripped, you can either weld it back together or replace the bolts. Just be sure that there isn't more extensive damage from this foolishness. If you haven't done a drain and fill of the transmission fluid it might be a good time to do this as well since the transmission can get quite hot when spinning without it's pump to lubricate it. Neutral or not, it still rotates and it is not designed to be towed this way except when it is absolutely unavoidable. Good luck.

Scott
Old 05-22-06, 08:27 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. PM 96SC3 he's replaced the rear bearings on his SC300. Maybe he can give you a hand.
Old 05-22-06, 09:56 PM
deruvian
Driver

This might be a good time to ask - the SC3 is my first RWD vehicle, and I'm curious if the rear wheel bearings need maintenance or replacement at a particular time (kinda like how the water pump should be done at the same time as the timing belt, or how the dizzy o-ring should be done around 90 - 100k miles).

Thanks all.
Old 05-23-06, 07:57 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I 've always checked wheel bearings with both wheels up and on jackstands. Then you can feel for play and listen to the differential working holding one wheel, then the other. Listen and feel the wheel for smoothness and no noise or play in the wheel, as it's rotated in both directions. Sealed bearings usually go bad over a period of time, giving "tell-tails" in the form of noise, grinding feel or excessive play in the hub. If in doubt, remove the wheel and turn the hub itself by hand. You feel any hesitation in the bearings.
Old 05-23-06, 04:20 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Originally Posted by deruvian
This might be a good time to ask - the SC3 is my first RWD vehicle, and I'm curious if the rear wheel bearings need maintenance or replacement at a particular time (kinda like how the water pump should be done at the same time as the timing belt, or how the dizzy o-ring should be done around 90 - 100k miles).

Thanks all.
Confused? Whats the dizzy o-ring that should be done @ 100k?
Old 05-23-06, 06:03 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

You dont need to service wheel bearings until something goes wrong, but for good measure, I repack mine during brake service.
Old 05-25-06, 07:23 PM
NYCsc300
Pole Position

ok i am back, sorry for the wait. I got the bolts and put some theadlock on it. I talked to the guy at lexus and he said that my rear wheels was unbalance and caused the bolts to shake out. Yes the bolts are very strong by the diff and just came lose. When i put the bolts on i notice that i put the axle on with out the brase(which is on the highwat somewhere) that connects to the axle and the diff. someone told me this is not needed. As for da exhaust i jacked it up and rebolted it up and rewraped da hole caused by da binding. man i love this car. New York City pot holes are to blame. pic soon i promise....
Old 08-19-06, 12:55 AM
deruvian
Driver

Originally Posted by supra dr
Confused? Whats the dizzy o-ring that should be done @ 100k?
Man, I forgot that I even posted in this thread. I gotta start using thread subscriptions more often. Anyway, by "dizzy" I meant distributor. The O-ring usually needs replacing near 100k.
Old 08-19-06, 12:19 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Originally Posted by deruvian
Man, I forgot that I even posted in this thread. I gotta start using thread subscriptions more often. Anyway, by "dizzy" I meant distributor. The O-ring usually needs replacing near 100k.
LOL - OK
Yeah, the distributor 'o' ring usually starts leaking oil around then.