Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New member with question re: JDM 2jz-gte swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 10:22 PM
trangk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with question re: JDM 2jz-gte swap

Hi,

Cliff Notes:
When doing the JDM 2jz-gte swap, can you use the JDM harness and JDM ECU in the SC300? Or am I better off using the JDM engine and buying a USDM harness/ECU?

Unabridged:
I'm new to the forum and I'm in the research phase of swapping in a JDM 2jz-gte to an SC300. I've bought Phil's swap manual and have done as much searching as I could on here and on supraforums.com. I can't seem to find any definitive answer for this tho: I am going to purchase a JDM 2jz-gte with auto tranny with the JDM harness/ECU. Will the harness and ECU work in the sc300 or am I better off buying a new USDM harness/ECU? Also, I'm assuming yes but I'm a total newb to this, but if it's a pre '96 engine I will have to use the OBDI ECU?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Hopefully I won't get flamed to death
Old 05-19-06, 10:30 PM
93 LS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't answer you question because I'm a 1JZ type of guy, but I just wanted to welcome you to CL.
Old 05-21-06, 09:05 PM
trangk
Driver

thanks for the welcome SC1JZ. maybe i should go that route for my swap

bump. anyone else know the answer?
Old 05-22-06, 03:26 PM
JakAssMtrs

If you use the jdm harness go with the ECU to match. The wiring is a bit complicated as the pins and the coloring of the wiring do not coencide, or match supra usdm. Also there are difference's I understand between jdm supra 2jzgte and aristo 2jzgte wiring. Soundperformance I believe is exstensively familiar w/ wiring a jdm 2jzgte into a sc300. Also are you running an auto tranny? in an already auto car? Auto Ecu for auto tranny.
And if you are not mechanically inclined I wouldn't touch it yourself.
Old 05-22-06, 07:27 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I think alot of people switch to the US harness & ecu because the jdm harness needs
to be extended. Phils manual is also for the US harness. You can use a OBD1 ecu in
a OBD2 car if its not a VVTI engine. Wont be emissions compliant if that matters.
Old 05-22-06, 08:13 PM
trangk
Driver

Thanks for the responses. I have a USDM ecu/harness on the way. Just gotta collect some more parts then I'm gonna give this a shot
Old 05-23-06, 07:25 AM
GRSC300
Rookie

Welcome to the Forum what part of FL do you live in?
Old 05-24-06, 12:56 AM
trangk
Driver

Originally Posted by GRSC300
Welcome to the Forum what part of FL do you live in?
Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Tallahassee ... what about you?
Old 05-24-06, 05:31 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

And welcome to our club, enjoy.
Old 05-25-06, 07:20 AM
GRSC300
Rookie

Originally Posted by trangk
Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Tallahassee ... what about you?
I live in Ft. Lauderdale. Sorry that I don't know much about these cars, I just got my SC300 about two months ago and I love it. I hope your car is ready for the Ft. Lauderdale show at JM Lexus on July. Keep me posted on your swap b/c I'll be doing the same 2Jz swap soon. I know couple of people that do wiring down here but you have a lot of people that knows what their doing around you area.

Try the Florida forum if you need to contact people in your area...
Old 05-25-06, 02:54 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Here are the options i would consider. Either option will work but it just depends on what your prefrence on little things are such as injector size and maf or map are. These are the only options I would personally consider. I am in no way saying these are the only options to go about completeing the swap just to get that out of the way.

Before anything, i would always start with a usdm harness according to your setup, auto or 6speed. I hate cutting into the ecu wiring so this would prevent the main ecu wires to be hacked up which is more than worth it in my opinion. At least that would be one area you wouldn't have to worry too much if you have to trouble shoot anything.

1. Running the usdm harness, you can run the usdm ecu, maf, and injectors. This gives you more fuel with 550cc injectors but leaves you with the maf. I personally prefer speed density.

2. Still running the usdm harness, you can run jspec ecu, with all the jspec parts. For the injectors, you will have to switch the connectors off of the jspec motor for them to be plug and play into the usdm harness. This is not a typo and i know someone with a supra that has complete a na to tt swap with usdm harness and jspec parts so this is no hear say. It even allows you to run the map sensor so you can just leave the maf unplugged since its not needed with the jspec ecu. This set up will leave you with the jspec 440cc injectors but you will already be in speed density.

Pending on which motor you pick up, you might have to swap out oil pans and other little things. I went with option 1 on my swap because i didn't know any better at the time. I just wanted to do it the way i knew for a fact would work. There were always mix answers when it came to running the jspec ecu and a lack of info on the jspec harness. Who would have known that the jspec ecu plugs right into the usdm harness without haveing to redo any wiring on the harness. I hope this helps because there is a lack of positive info except that you need usdm harness with usdm everything else or jspec harness with jspec everything else which is far from the truth.
Old 05-25-06, 03:09 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Now thats some quality info for the JDM SWAP or JDM 2jzgte SWAP.

(shameless thread spamming for future member searches)

So if I swapped to a JDM ecu w/ my US harness I could dump the VPC if I
added in the MAP & AIR TEMP sensor wiring/ connectors. Interesting....

A few Q's if possible, i really know little about the jdm set up.
What other / if any sensors does toyota use for their
speed density aside from map & air temp.

Also, is your friends car APU? I'm trying to get off the ecu reset merry-go-round,
& was wondering if he was having any problems.

Dont anyone say "GO AEM" I do not have time for that right now.

Last edited by supra dr; 05-25-06 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-25-06, 07:39 PM
trangk
Driver

5spdSC300:
Awesome post. Thanks! I've done alot more research on the swap since posting this originally so things are starting to make sense for the swap (admittedly I hadn't read much on the swap when i made the post ) . But yeah there seems to be alot of back and forth about what can be use/can't be used in re: JDM/USDM harness and ECU. I'm glad you cleared that up for me . Also found the lists of parts that are needed/recommended to convert the JDM -> USDM specs and I think that's the route I'm gonna go.

Any experience with the MAP ecu that Powerhouse Racing sells for the Supra? I'm reading that alot of people are very happy with this unit as a piggyback (using larger injectors, getting rid of MAF, etc for the USDM ecu)

Guess I'm in the parts collecting phase now