Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

what kind of exhaust should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 06:39 PM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of exhaust should i get?

Alright I have a 1992 lexus SC300 with a new engine in it. The engine has about 30k and looks to be a 95. what would be the best exhaust for this car?
Old 05-18-06, 06:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

http://intellexual.net/faq.html#024
Old 05-21-06, 08:04 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

I am really glad someone else is trying to find an exhaust. I have been looking around and have only found two, one from TANABE which they only produce for the SOARER w/ 1JZ in it, and the other was from VERTEX, OF COURSE,again only in Japan and only for the 1JZ. So finally I came to the conclusion of purchasing an APEXI N1 canister and then purchasibg a enough MANDRAL bent stainless to build the exhaust. The only thing I don't like, is that no one where I live can make the welded one perform like the TANABE or the VERTEX.
Old 05-21-06, 08:25 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of people go with the magnaflow 14829 models. Then they just get custom piping built. There are all sorts of different choices that you can go with: HKS, Apexi, Aero Turbine, JIC, Blitz Nurspec. Search in the engine forum and you will find alot.
Old 05-22-06, 11:00 AM
BigWaveSC
Lead Lap

HKS or APEX muffler and custom piping
that what I have and it's perfect.
and cheap.
Old 05-22-06, 10:01 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

"best" can mean many things. For instance, for close to $3,000 you can get an amuse titanium dual for the SC that weights almost nothing (lots of weight savings), will sound sick, and will outperform just about anything out there.....but one again, this is for close to $3,000.
Old 05-22-06, 10:32 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

i myself am planning on getting the apexi ws exhaust, looks quite stock but cooler and i'm sure has a good sound to it.
Old 05-23-06, 03:59 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 208Soarer
I am really glad someone else is trying to find an exhaust. I have been looking around and have only found two, one from TANABE which they only produce for the SOARER w/ 1JZ in it, and the other was from VERTEX, OF COURSE,again only in Japan and only for the 1JZ. So finally I came to the conclusion of purchasing an APEXI N1 canister and then purchasibg a enough MANDRAL bent stainless to build the exhaust. The only thing I don't like, is that no one where I live can make the welded one perform like the TANABE or the VERTEX.
You mean this one?

Unfortunately, Tanabe has no plans to bring it to the US, unless demand is strong enough for it...it's a full catback 80 to twin 60mm, very quiet.

We did the test fit, and some items had some very tight clearances, but otherwise worked out on my SC300. If we do bring this to the US, it might have to be axle-back, since catback might be too expensive for many SC owner's budgets. (~$1000.00 MSRP)
Old 05-23-06, 04:07 PM
potatoBBQ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
You mean this one?

Unfortunately, Tanabe has no plans to bring it to the US, unless demand is strong enough for it...it's a full catback 80 to twin 60mm, very quiet.

We did the test fit, and some items had some very tight clearances, but otherwise worked out on my SC300. If we do bring this to the US, it might have to be axle-back, since catback might be too expensive for many SC owner's budgets. (~$1000.00 MSRP)
damn... that looks hot
Old 05-23-06, 04:19 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by potatoBBQ
damn... that looks hot
Not as hot as a CYM

haha sorry...had to do it
Old 05-23-06, 04:52 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

That looks like the one, like you said very spendy!!! I started to look more towards a single canister, it will save weight .Since I bought the car, I have really started to like the ORIGIN rear bumper w/single exhaust outlet. So I guess it will be an Canister and customer piping, I just was hoping not to have to custom build.
Old 05-24-06, 08:48 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 208Soarer
That looks like the one, like you said very spendy!!! I started to look more towards a single canister, it will save weight .Since I bought the car, I have really started to like the ORIGIN rear bumper w/single exhaust outlet. So I guess it will be an Canister and customer piping, I just was hoping not to have to custom build.

Yeah a custom build can be a PITA if you want it done right. Sourcing good flanges, hangars, pre-mandrel bent piping, and a good welder can be pretty costly. I like the dual muffler exhaust on the SC...it's a Lexus y'know? For me the single exit is more 240SX and less luxury IMO.

To keep a single exit quiet, you'll need a big sub-muffler. A lot of the single exit IS300's have really loud exhausts, and there are only a few exceptions that are quiet.
Old 05-24-06, 09:02 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Memphisacc
substitute expensive for : Over priced
That's just the way it works, so are you going to just sit there and complain or modify your Lexus?
Old 05-24-06, 11:41 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Memphisacc
Im not complaining, you cant tease me into wasting a grand on exhaust, been there done that. I mean if its for show i can totaly understand but if your going to drive the car all the time who really cares.

Plus in the state of tennessee smog laws dont really exist, so while one person drops $800+ on exhaust, and waste time finding his expert welders and exhaust hangers(ha). I'll spend $80 x 2 on a universal muffler and spend $65 on having Jim Bob the exhaust man whos been welding exhaust pipes together since he was 7 years old do it.(not sure if im laying the humor on thick enough for you)

Actually, I find the converse to be true in my case.

If you are doing it just for show, I can understand going cheap and just throwing on Brand Ebay mufflers and welding them onto your factory pipes.

If you actually drive your car often and love the car, I can understand wanting to get something done right the first time, and being happy with it for the long haul.

I'm of the latter group, and pipes are not just metal pipes. I don't want busted welds, i dont want broken hangars, and i dont want some mild steel or aluminized steel piping to rust through within a year just because it experienced some inclement weather.

I probably don't represent the majority of people here, but while the SC can be had for fairly cheap, I don't believe the SC is a cheap car.
Old 05-24-06, 11:55 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
Actually, I find the converse to be true in my case.

If you are doing it just for show, I can understand going cheap and just throwing on Brand Ebay mufflers and welding them onto your factory pipes.

If you actually drive your car often and love the car, I can understand wanting to get something done right the first time, and being happy with it for the long haul.

I'm of the latter group, and pipes are not just metal pipes. I don't want busted welds, i dont want broken hangars, and i dont want some mild steel or aluminized steel piping to rust through within a year just because it experienced some inclement weather.

I probably don't represent the majority of people here, but while the SC can be had for fairly cheap, I don't believe the SC is a cheap car.