Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clunking noise when starting the car!! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 01:27 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking noise when starting the car!! Need help!

Well, I gave my 92' SC400 to my little bro about a over a year ago and bought an S2000. After driving the S2000 for a year, I really began to miss my previous SC400 so I began looking for another SC. After months of searching, I found a 92' SC300 (5spd) from a small car dealer for around $5,000. I was amazed at how powerful the car was compared to my previous SC400 and since the SC300 5spd's were so rare, I decided to buy it. With 180k on the clock, I knew I was gonna be replacing a lot of parts considering the owner(s) before neglected maintenance.

I juts finshed doing a tune up 2 weeks ago and replaced the starter (from Napa) about 2 months ago and now I have this awful clunking noise when I sometimes start my car. Sometime it'll make a clunking noise right after the car cranks over. The clunk sounds like if someone is underneath the car hitting it with a hammer. It's not a constant repeated clunking noise, but just a clunk and that's it.

Sometimes whenever I try to start the car, it'll just clunk and won't even crank. Whenever this happens, I will have a hard time starting the car. Again, it sounds like someone is hitting it with a hammer from underneath and it feels like it too. After experiencing this and the car does manages to start, it'll shake or idle roughly for a few seconds before it idles normally. Has anyone ever experience this kind of problem before?

I must say it's nice being back on clublexus! A lot of friendly people here.

~Josh
Old 02-11-07, 06:57 AM
emacblane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem on my 93 LS400, went back and rebuilt my original starter and all was well again