Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Wth Is Wrong With My Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 08:38 PM
simonsays
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wth Is Wrong With My Car

ok everyone.
dont get annoyed by me or anything. i'm just here to ask for some help. i did search and i didnt find a thread that relates to any of my problems. so hear me out on this one PLEASE.
ok. so before the whole tragedy happened, i had a problem with the car surging and hesitating.
so i thought, i'll replace the fuel filter. so i go and try to replace the fuel filter, and i end up twisting the intake side of the fuel line. the one that goes back into the fuel tank. so i go and get one from a dismantler ( a BIG mistake because my dumbass wanted to hurry and fix the car) and i end up replacing the fuel line with a new fuel filter on. i checked all the connections, and there were no leaks on it. so i go and try to start the car, and the car has a hard time starting. so i'm guessing that its probably because i drained the whole fuel tank, so i give it 3 tries, and it barely starts up. i start pressing on the gas, and it idles a little low, but its fine. one thing that happened after i did this is that i noticed the engine started shaking real bad. but anywho, i pulled it out of the driveway, and i start to go down the street, but the car has no throttle response AT ALL. i started stepping on the gas, and it wouldnt budge. so i some how end up driving to the nearest shop that i go to often and i have them check it out. they call me the next day saying they checked the MAF sensor and some other stuff. they checked the fuel pressure and it was at 11 PSI. so they suspected that it would be the fuel pump, so they go and replace that. they checked the fuel pressure, and they said it shot straight up, then right after that shot straight down.

so now i'm kinda confused cuz all i tried to replace was a freaking fuel filter, and it lead to all this mess. take a note that the fuel filter was replaced, the fuel line was replaced, the fuel pump was replaced.
anyone have a clue whats going on?
and to add on top of all this mess, i'm on the edge of getting fired at my work because the shop is taking almost a week with my car!!!!
please help me!!!!
thank you for at least reading my novel.
Old 05-10-06, 09:07 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you MIGHT don’t hold me to this but when you replace things like that which travel in 'lines" or hoses if you break loose a particulate it will go down the route and do some damage there...
So I think you might have knocked something loose when you might have pinched the line... maybe some metal shavings? and that did the damage...

Just an idea

Hope it helps

-Tommy
Old 05-10-06, 09:11 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like Ignition.....or a fuel injector, if its shaking bad, it means not all the cylinders are 'popping'

plugs, wires, cap'n'rotors, make sure all injectors are clicking.

that's my 2 cents...I'm sure someone else has a better bead on this though
Old 05-10-06, 09:17 PM
simonsays
Pole Position

so u mean when i pinched the line and started the car, some metal shavings went somewhere?
well, i did tighten the lines to the new fuel filter with the pinched fuel line on. and i started the car, and the part just spewed gas all over the place.
i'm positive that when i replaced the fuel line, the line didnt have any pinches or bents on it.
what i'm guessing is that all the dirt and what not from the fuel line that i put in is causing this mess.
can that be possible?
Old 05-10-06, 09:20 PM
simonsays
Pole Position

hhhmm, it could be the ignition and fuel injectors.
i do have a new cap and rotor for the distributor, and new spark plugs. maybe i should tell them to put those in and see how it runs.
i even put those fuel system cleaning things, and it still does it.
i greatly appreciate your thoughts.
more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-06, 09:20 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I had some fuel pump wiring issues after my gte swap, I was running a TT fuel pump in the stock location. It stopped working and I found it was not getting power. Why I relate this is that I had to literally hard wire the fuel pump to drive it to the shop who installed this to get it fixed.

Ok, message for you is that you can hot wire the pump buy removing the rear seat upper cushion, pry that circle cover off with a putty knife and you'll see the wires there. Then you know for sure that you've got power and steady fuel pressure because it will get a full 12v. If it runs well hot wired then you know you've got a fuel pump ecu or wiring issue going on. (I used a length of 14 gauge speaker wire from the battery through the cabin to the rear deck.)
Old 05-10-06, 09:22 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

what i'm guessing is that all the dirt and what not from the fuel line that i put in is causing this mess.
can that be possible?
hell yea, bone yard parts can get all sorts of dust, rust, bugs in them.

but the problem wouldn't be that imminent, I wonder if there's a problem with the new fuel pump....or somewhere your sucking in air and losing pressure.

random thoughts.....sorry if no help
Old 05-10-06, 09:27 PM
simonsays
Pole Position

hhhhmmm
thanks for all the responses.
i'll stop by the shop tomorrow and suggest these to the mechanic.
more responses are welcomed!
Old 05-10-06, 10:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Guess where I am moving this to
Old 05-17-06, 11:35 AM
simonsays
Pole Position

ok guys.
i got my car back from the shop yesterday.
its all fixed now.
the problem was the fuel pump ECU.
sucked ***** cuz it cost me 500 bucks.
Old 05-17-06, 09:33 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by simonsays
ok guys.
i got my car back from the shop yesterday.
its all fixed now.
the problem was the fuel pump ECU.
sucked ***** cuz it cost me 500 bucks.
AHHHHHHHHH you could just hotwired a 12v on there!!!
Old 05-17-06, 11:01 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

What in the.... $500 for a new fuel pump ECU?!?!?! Damn... at least it's fixed now.
Old 05-19-06, 07:55 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Five Hundred Bucks!!!!

Felix is right on and this was discussed on this forum years ago- that ECU just lowers the voltage during mild driving and while I'm not saying it should be removed if it's working fine, there's no economical reason to go through the expense of replacing it if it fails.

In fact, without the ECU your car is more reliable, as simon just proved.