Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cost of a 6-speed Getrag conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 09:16 AM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of a 6-speed Getrag conversion?

How much would the parts cost to do a complete used 6-speed Getrag change for an sc300 5 speed? Including clutch, LSD, ect. Also, will it bolt directly in or will you need to modify it? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-06, 09:57 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rcracer_tx
How much would the parts cost to do a complete used 6-speed Getrag change for an sc300 5 speed? Including clutch, LSD, ect. Also, will it bolt directly in or will you need to modify it? Thanks in advance.
~$3,000 for a used transmission in good condition..that doesn't include shifter linkage assembly or cross member to hold the transmission up. Then another ~$1,400 for a good condition used 6 speed lsd, then add in ~$700 for a clutch with all necessary accessories, then ~$250 for driveshaft, oh yea dont' forget axles. Realistically, $5,000.

personally $5,000 is a waste, you can buy another car for that much money . I've said it before, SC300 manual transmission cars are MONEY pits and TOO overpriced on the used car market. Getrag swaps are also WAY overpriced IMHO.

In the end, when you add up all the money spent, you can go a lot faster for less money than a getrag'd swap sc300.
Old 05-07-06, 10:49 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

dejacky is pretty accurate on those estimates from what I've seen, sure you could quibble over some of the numbers. The driveshaft length on the Supra is shorter and it needs to be modified so you are looking at a custom job or a skilled lengthening, probably more than $250.

The R154 5-speed transmission from a MKIII is a potent transmission and nearly as strong as the Getrag. That could be done with some mods for much less money, though they are hard to find.

Why are you looking into it, are you single turbo'd? Your w-58 is good for ~400rwhp, right?
Old 05-07-06, 10:55 AM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Originally Posted by SCoupe
The R154 5-speed transmission from a MKIII is a potent transmission and nearly as strong as the Getrag. That could be done with some mods for much less money, though they are hard to find.

Why are you looking into it, are you single turbo'd? Your w-58 is good for ~400rwhp, right?
Im looking into building a boost logic sc300, and the estimated HP is 450-550 rwhp. What would be the cheapest route to have a transmission that can hold that kind of power?
Old 05-07-06, 11:36 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Im looking into building a boost logic sc300, and the estimated HP is 450-550 rwhp. What would be the cheapest route to have a transmission that can hold that kind of power?
rebuilt stock NA automatic trans.
Old 05-07-06, 12:00 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
rebuilt stock NA automatic trans.
I still want to keep a manual transmission. what would be the cheapest manual transmission with an lsd?
Old 05-07-06, 12:32 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

I still want to keep a manual transmission. what would be the cheapest manual transmission with an lsd?
R154. prepare to pay ~$3,500 if you do all your own work
Old 05-07-06, 01:35 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Hey man, my boy has a 00 mustang gt with a swaped 03 cobra engine and 6 speed tranny in it that he got from a store on ebay.The same store had a Getrag tranny that i was gonna buy for $1800 shipped here to New Orleans before i ran into some money problems.If he doesen't have one now I THINK you can tell him what u r looking for and he can find it for you.I forgot the name of the store but if you wont i can find out,Let me know.
Richard
Old 05-07-06, 01:58 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

The LSD is in the diff, not the transmission. You can drop a TT auto LSD into your stock diff (or get the entire TT auto casing) and you'll be in business.
Old 05-07-06, 03:01 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you can do the r154 swap from a mk3 for cheap. read the link below in my signature
Old 05-07-06, 03:57 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
The LSD is in the diff, not the transmission. You can drop a TT auto LSD into your stock diff (or get the entire TT auto casing) and you'll be in business.
Yeah, i know that. I just wanted to have a transmission that lsd's work with (same ratios)
Old 05-07-06, 05:44 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Yeah, i know that. I just wanted to have a transmission that lsd's work with (same ratios)

Because the LSD wont work if you change the gear ratio?
Old 05-07-06, 06:52 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dejackey
personally $5,000 is a waste, you can buy another car for that much money . I've said it before, SC300 manual transmission cars are MONEY pits and TOO overpriced on the used car market. Getrag swaps are also WAY overpriced IMHO.

In the end, when you add up all the money spent, you can go a lot faster for less money than a getrag'd swap sc300.
All I can say is
Mine runs ok, the best part is around 130 & their 5 speed's getting wound up. I can shift
again & start all over
j/k
seriously, its all about what you expect from the car & how deep your pockets are.
mine are inside out right now, but exceeded my expectations.

Last edited by supra dr; 05-07-06 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-07-06, 08:11 PM
Todd1225
Driver

You do not have to do the rear end with the swap, you can do just the tranny. Now, the only downside is you still don't have an LSD and you will be pulling above average RPM's on the freeway because the ratios will be off. If you can do all the work yourself, it's possible you could get it done for around $3,000 - 3500
Old 05-08-06, 04:41 AM
bmsport
Lead Lap

I have about $5k into my trans swap with the tranny, lsd, clutch, flywheel, custom driveshaft and all the little new oem peices parts i had to buy. If you got the money for it, get the 6speed, I've had my getrag for 4 years now and never had one single issue running 400-600hp daily. Also, with the JDM 6speed rear end its a happy medium between low and high gearing. IMHO

Quick Reply: Cost of a 6-speed Getrag conversion?