Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What is so great about the SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 08:04 AM
Corbic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is so great about the SC300?

Don't get me wrong, I love how the car looks, but I just can't seem to justify the cost of buying one.
While the car is great looking, it lacked the TT I6 the rest of the world recieved, meaning at while it boasts a handsome 225hp, at 3,500lbs it qutie the little piggy. Even worse, the gas mileage is dismal, ~18mpg on premium fuel. Additionally manual cars are limited (thanks in part to the way Lexus packages options and sells them) and all of the US cars have that horrific brown/tan interior, even worse when matched up with green or two tone white and grey.

I'm told the car share a lot in common with the Supra, how true is this. Is it just the same drive line, or under the sheet metal are they the same. Will suspension, swaps, struts, exhuast et al be the same for the two cars?

Thanks,
(not trying to start a flame war, just want some postive answers and opinions)
Old 04-06-06, 08:11 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good questions you posed here...

I guess once you own one and truly appreciate what Lexus did for that time in car building history..lol, its hard to explain.....

IMO the timeless looks and beautiful interior, ride and build quality got me... Yes things do go wrong with an older car but they are easy to fix and the options as to styling are endless...
BTW... the grey interior isn't bad and the black is very sweet looking...

Buy one and you'll get the point

Welcome to the club and keep it positve

Last edited by silversprucesc3; 04-06-06 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-06-06, 08:12 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't bash the tan leather I chose my tan interior! I think it's classy and great looking. I do agree on the bad gas mileage but, I have the SC400 so I do get better mileage by a little bit so I don't complain. The SC has a lot of potential with motor swaps such as the 1JZ, they are dirt cheap for what you get and are very mod friendly the SC is more of a personal taste thing, you could always get an older Supra turbo for a little cheaper and mod from then on but, I'd much rather have the SC for it's comfort and looks.
Old 04-06-06, 09:57 AM
bmsport
Lead Lap

I think the best way to appreciate the SC and most of the other lexus line is to drive a 240sx for a day. I did that a few weeks ago and even with an SR swap, i couldnt get back into my SC fast enough. The 240 felt like i was driving a go kart while the SC feels like a tank.
Old 04-06-06, 10:19 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bmsport
The 240 felt like i was driving a go kart while the SC feels like a tank.
Yes, thats the entire problem. Vs being fun and tossable the car is heavy, slow, and feels like the motor is about to give way pulling the weight around. The only redeeming factor for the SC is that the motor is strong and can hold up to some serious hp, other then that the car is crap and should be sold for scrap. The tan interior sucks and god forbid you try to find black w/ a 5 spd.

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Buy one and you'll get the point
I did buy one and Im still asking whats so great? Hell I had a 3pg thread on it not that long ago actually.....sorry, but now that I own one Im less then impressed with the mid 15 second performance that gets 18mpg (or less). To think that my poor little integra probably outperformed the lexus and got 24-30mpg.....wtf was I thinking when I sold it and bought this???

Edit: BTW, I have an opinion which has been formed by owning my SC and the only reason it has not been sold yet is that I believe a turbo + mods will pull the SC back and give it some hope.
Old 04-06-06, 10:23 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Pretty much sums up what most everyone else will say.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208888
Old 04-06-06, 10:32 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume our goals were different... I love the sc300 for being a luxury coupe not a sports car.... I also have been blessed with little to NO maint. issues...

If your a racer then why choose a 3500lb car with 225hp and expect anything more than what u got??
Old 04-06-06, 10:33 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

i got gray interior in my car. i hate the tan. What costs? you can pick up nice sc300's for under 4 grand. You can get the TT 1jzgte that bolts in with minimal mods to install for $1200. So after that, u got 250rwhp, 21mpg. what are you complaining about.
Old 04-06-06, 10:49 AM
Corbic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
i got gray interior in my car. i hate the tan. What costs? you can pick up nice sc300's for under 4 grand. You can get the TT 1jzgte that bolts in with minimal mods to install for $1200. So after that, u got 250rwhp, 21mpg. what are you complaining about.

I've yet to see a good condition SC300 go for under $4,000, and even then its going to be green, automatic with brown tinted windows and tan interior. Also, doesnt a 1ZGTE engine set cost around $4,000, not to mention now you have to find a peddel assembly for the auto-to-manual conversion and a shop competent enough for the install... meaning its not $1,200 but around $6,500... so we now have a 250rwhp, 21mpg, 3,500lb, $10,000+ car with stock brakes and dampers?
Old 04-06-06, 11:04 AM
Bosco
Driver School Candidate

I have a 5 speed with black interior. So, I can't comment on the tan interior, but the black interior looks great.

For me, the best thing about the sc300 is the looks. It's the best design to come out of California. What other car even comes close when it comes to purity in design in the past 15 years?

Second, the robust 5 speed. Of the few 5 speeds I've gotten to know well, the SC has, by far, the best one. - The 5.0 had the worst. And, I've owned an Integra, too. It was a fun car, but to compare to the SC300...?

Plus the fact that it lasts. Someone posted his car with 250,000 miles on it today. Other than regular maintenance, my car cost me $900 in repairs during the last 9 years I've owned it. In contrast, the 91 300 ZX I had cost me more than $5,000 in repairs in one year! No more Nissan for me.

The sportiness of the car doesn't just come from the horsepower. Although, more power would be nice. But the balance of the car, along with the general sense of competence, constantly reminds you that you're in a sport coupe.
Old 04-06-06, 11:06 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

i have a 95 red/black 5 speed i bought for 7500. gas mileage is around 24 mpg. there was a reason i bought the car. it looks sexy, has ability to have more power tthen i can handle and its luxurious. there was no older car out there below 40k that would offer me all this.

1jz engine sets dont cost 4k they are really cheap. u can get a front clip for 2k. if you want a 5 speed. then go look for one. they are out there. black interior is not that rare either. NOW if u want a RSP/black with 5 speed. then thats a problem. but if ur willing to take anything 92-97 5 speed w/ black interor then that should be no problem finding.

yes many parts are shared with the supra, brakes, engine, suspension, exhaust even ( with slight mods). my car now has tt brakes, tt sway bars, soon i will have suspension, im wating on my 2jzgte swap to go in. and tt upper and lower control arms once i get more money. there are are parts for the engine and suspension then you can think of. Having a SC is better then a supra even. u have everything a supra has w/o the attention of cops, and the price. u can find a 97 5 speed for less then a older supra NA.
Old 04-06-06, 11:08 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Thats if u want a 5spd car. i personally prefer automatic turbo cars. Motorsets cost no more then $1200, i dunno where your shopping. you do NOT need a clip, EVER.

A board member just bought a 94? teal mist sc300 with TT rims, tt seats, and tT suspension for $4 grand, its a good looking car.

Anyone can install a 1JZGTE swap, its EASY.
Old 04-06-06, 11:10 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Owning a near mint sc300 (tan interior, btw) with a large single turbo is the apitomy of having luxury and raw, unadulterated power. Not many car models can provide both, but the sc300 can. That's what's so great about being an owner of one.

-scott
Old 04-06-06, 11:12 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Owning a near mint sc300 (tan interior, btw) with a large single turbo is the apitomy of having luxury and raw, unadulterated power. Not many car models can provide both, but the sc300 can. That's what's so great about being an owner of one.

-scott
man short sweet and simple, couldnt put it better myself.
Old 04-06-06, 11:19 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corbic
I've yet to see a good condition SC300 go for under $4,000, and even then its going to be green, automatic with brown tinted windows and tan interior. Also, doesnt a 1ZGTE engine set cost around $4,000, not to mention now you have to find a peddel assembly for the auto-to-manual conversion and a shop competent enough for the install... meaning its not $1,200 but around $6,500... so we now have a 250rwhp, 21mpg, 3,500lb, $10,000+ car with stock brakes and dampers?

First off, Welcome to the club!!!

Remember, the SC was a $50,000+ car when new (contigent upon year and options), so $4000 now is a STEAL!!! If you look around hard enough you can find what you want. This car was not produced in Ford Taurus numbers so it is a bit harder to locate exactly what you want.

The 1J motor set can be had for a lot less than $4000. I'm no expert on 1J's though. Ask VJ RC51, Rising Sun, and others that have done the swap to get a more acurate picture.

After a 1J install you have much more than a 250HP, overpriced tank. First, the SC IMO is the pinnacle of a sport/luxury merge. Add in a 1J that can easily be boosted on stock internals to pretty high levels and now you have a real performer.

As others have said, go drive one. You may surprise yourself and see what all of us did in the beginning!!!

Good luck!! and happy searching!

Quick Reply: What is so great about the SC300?