Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finding A/C leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 05:26 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding A/C leak?

Just found out I have a freon leak in my A/C system and the A/C shop wants to charge me $700 to find and fix.....Does anyone know how one is to locate and find the source of the freon leak?. Do I start changing parts? Compressor first? Never worked on an A/C system before but can change out all parts myself and get parts cheap just don't know where to start... Any info or suggestions would be helpful...
Old 04-03-06, 05:30 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Big help: Use the search option. This topic has been covered many a time.... i learned the hard way......but as a little help, start with where you fill the ac up....the needle check if thats leaking....then check tubing.....finally see if the compressor starts when you turn the ac on. .......GL.
Old 04-03-06, 05:47 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

There is a low pressure cut out .. which would not allow ac compressor to turn on.

You need pressure gauges to check low side and high side. A vaccum pump is alos neeed to purge thesystem (if you need to refil)

Dye is used to locate the leak.

Fix may require welding equipment ... aluminum welds are pretty tough.

If leak has been there for long, moisture must have penetrated the system. You would need a new drier

Environmentally correct fix would require recovery of the refridgerent.

All the above is from a person who does not know enough to fix the A/C system.

Bottom line ... go to a professional to get it fixed. The figure you got quoted is large but not out of line. Dealer may charge upto $900.

Salim.
Old 04-03-06, 05:52 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are talking to me about not knowing how to fix the system sir you are wrong. You pointed out parts i havent had to deal with. We fixed my system just fine. Mine turned out to have a valve leak, and after that the compressor died out. We replaced and filled it up ourselves. Dont disrespect someone when you dont know the entire story.....thank you.

Last edited by Jewtheist; 04-03-06 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-04-06, 08:52 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

you can buy dye and put it in the system. Been there done that, this week.

Also i have a MAC tools AC vacuum and refil system. If you leave it on the car for about an hour, the vacuum boils all the water out of the system, no need to replace dryer. While your at it, if your car is R12, drain out the oil and put in the R154 stuff, not REALLy needed but its good to. i can still get R12 for around $100 a can, and it takes 3 cans to fill the car, if thats what you RealLy want lol.

If any aluminum pipes are leaking like one of my cars, just take the line off to a welding shop and have them fill the hole. if the nipple is broke, u can get a new one and have it welded on.

The hose that leaks on my 93 SC, is the farthest back rubber hose that goes into the compressor. Any good reasonable AC shop can just replace the rubberhose for cheap. Costs about $10, but youll pay for that hour of labor to do something that takes 5 mins. Alot cheaper then going to lexus for the whole hose tho, that might cost you $500?? lol.

Anyone that lives in CFL is more then welcome to stop by when im around to have their system vacuumed out if you buy me cheap chinese take out lol.
Old 04-04-06, 10:21 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
you can buy dye and put it in the system. Been there done that, this week.

Also i have a MAC tools AC vacuum and refil system. If you leave it on the car for about an hour, the vacuum boils all the water out of the system, no need to replace dryer. While your at it, if your car is R12, drain out the oil and put in the R154 stuff, not REALLy needed but its good to. i can still get R12 for around $100 a can, and it takes 3 cans to fill the car, if thats what you RealLy want lol.

If any aluminum pipes are leaking like one of my cars, just take the line off to a welding shop and have them fill the hole. if the nipple is broke, u can get a new one and have it welded on.

The hose that leaks on my 93 SC, is the farthest back rubber hose that goes into the compressor. Any good reasonable AC shop can just replace the rubberhose for cheap. Costs about $10, but youll pay for that hour of labor to do something that takes 5 mins. Alot cheaper then going to lexus for the whole hose tho, that might cost you $500?? lol.

Anyone that lives in CFL is more then welcome to stop by when im around to have their system vacuumed out if you buy me cheap chinese take out lol.
He is correct. Best place to Start is Auto Zone, Pep, Advanced. Buy the dye.
Old 05-11-07, 06:04 AM
heyma
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jewcano
If you are talking to me about not knowing how to fix the system sir you are wrong. You pointed out parts i havent had to deal with. We fixed my system just fine. Mine turned out to have a valve leak, and after that the compressor died out. We replaced and filled it up ourselves. Dont disrespect someone when you dont know the entire story.....thank you.
Hi:

The pressure in my A/C system has dropped to the point the compressor won't turn on anymore.

Could you tell me which valve of yours was leaking? And do you know where all of the o-rings are? I see a few connections by the driver-side front bumper that look "geasy", so I'll start there.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-07, 09:54 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you kinda have to locate the leak.. (ignore this if u have)
mine was leaking in the pipe ._. had a hole.. tried to fix it with epoxy.. didnt work

soo im just going to replace the whole piping

if its the seals.. theres this.. leak sealer they sell.. it says it lubes the seals.. but MAYBE it will work?

Good luck man.. it sucks w/o AC..ive been driving in 95+ degree heat w/o AC and it sucks as...s