Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSDs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 12:22 PM
Notorious
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSDs?

What factory LSDs will fit on the SC without modification?
I know that JZA80 LSDs bolt up just fine...
I assume that JDM Soarer LSDs work as well... did the 2.5GT-T come w/ a factory optional LSD?
What about other JDM Toyotas with 1JZ or 2JZ motors? Did any offer factory LSD?
Does anyone know if their differentials will bolt right up to the SC?
Anyone have a source or price for LSDs for our cars?

TIA
Old 03-29-06, 12:46 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

if ur willing to keep ur stock tranny daveh has an LSD $250.
Old 03-29-06, 12:58 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kietlander
if ur willing to keep ur stock tranny daveh has an LSD $250.
have people tested that one yet? How does it hold up on drag radials and up to 600rwhp?
Old 03-29-06, 01:01 PM
Notorious
Rookie

What kind of LSD? (VLSD, Torsen, clutch type)
What source? (JZA80, Soarer....?)

Since I'm looking at 1JZ power, I need something that will let me get more than 1 wheel spinning... Needs to be able to handle up to 400hp, day in, day out.

Thanks
Old 03-29-06, 01:22 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am looking at the TRD LSD
the Kaaz is a 2 way for ~$800
the TRDs from what i've seen are ~850
oh yea, TRD is 1.5way
DaveH's is pretty much completed i believe, but he's testing one of the pieces he was sent of the final product. go to www.clubna-t.com/forums for more info on it

i got all this info by searching and reading.
Old 03-29-06, 01:30 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Im assuming its like a phatom grip?
Old 03-29-06, 01:58 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

95 integra, its the same basic design as the phatom slip.... im not sold on the unit and wouldnt trust my rear end to two spngs the size of pencil erasers machined into plate metal but thats just me. even though the phantom grip units (extremely similar in design) arent very realiable for the cars i have seen them on, i am more worried about the w58 being able to handle an lsd for long at the 400wtq levels most are wanting if it does in fact handle the power. Kudos to Dave for taking the time to engineer the parts and correctly rate the springs for it. Ill be waiting to see how well these things hold up in the long run.

In my opinion, just get a trd unit and sleep easier at night knowing its a good new part that shouldnt break
Old 03-29-06, 03:47 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
even though the phantom grip units (extremely similar in design) arent very realiable for the cars i have seen them on, i am more worried about the w58 being able to handle an lsd for long at the 400wtq levels most are wanting if it does in fact handle the power. Kudos to Dave for taking the time to engineer the parts and correctly rate the springs for it. Ill be waiting to see how well these things hold up in the long run.
What do you mean "arn't very reliable". What type of experinces have you had with simillar lsd units. Im not trying to call you out or anything but im just curious to hear other peoples experinces. I have installed a couple on hondas and they seem to work pretty well. I wasn't expecting performance to be mind blowing since it was a cheap part but for the price and what it did, it didn't seem bad at all.

When i first saw the phantom grip, i almost busted out laughing since it look like such a simple piece. I wasn't laughing after i took it out for a spin and actually noticed a diffrence. It also left 2 tire marks .

or

Did you mean "ARE very realiable for the cars i have seen them on"
Old 03-29-06, 04:20 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

The phantom grip is so simple its nearly impossible to break or cause problems. It does cause a slight increase in metal shavings, but not all that much more. The transmission breaking problem isnt really going to change all that much from lsd to lsd....its going to break no matter what. From what Ive seen they break even with the stock open diff. Keep in mind that "2 tire marks" can be left with an open diff as long as the car is lined up straight.....lsds are 90% cornering and 10% straight line.
Old 03-29-06, 07:09 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

95 integra is right about the cornering. most of my experience is with hondas and nissans with them installed in regularly open diffs during track events. i've seen them do everything from seize and make a grenade out of the differential to the two metal plates deforming and wedging in the gears to seize the rear wheels. tho they do help some what would you trust more, 2 small springs or 4 helical gears? what about 18 clutches vs those same two springs. only reason i say they arent as reliable is the difference between a honda motor with turbo (low torque even with turbo) vs our motors (high torque with turbo), torque being the distructive force, will fail under higher torque loads since the stress load is distributed less over the spider gears. While the lsd units have a larger stress load area and have surface hardened contact points which are proven to wear extremely well.

I take my statement back that they arent good but i will say they arent great. I like proven parts that are shown to work under extreme conditions that my car will see for only a short period, like the TRD unit. I have worked with many of them on multiple supra and i will say IMO they are one of the best units since they are proven reliable at high power levels.
Old 03-30-06, 04:15 PM
Notorious
Rookie

So no word on JDM units?
I was hoping I could just call up an importer and buy a diff out of a LSD equipped car.
I know that there is a TRD unit out there, and I know that other companys make stuff for the JZA80 (kaaz, etc.)... but I was hoping there would be a sub 800$ option to get me continuous 2 wheel drive....
Old 03-30-06, 04:40 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

there were a few soarers that came with lsd's but im not exactly sure of the numbers or the stats on them. you can always use an auto tt lsd, it will fit right in.
Old 03-30-06, 06:10 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Notorious
So no word on JDM units?
I was hoping I could just call up an importer and buy a diff out of a LSD equipped car.
I know that there is a TRD unit out there, and I know that other companys make stuff for the JZA80 (kaaz, etc.)... but I was hoping there would be a sub 800$ option to get me continuous 2 wheel drive....

I believe they will fit, although I think the LSD option was fairly rare. Thus, you'll buy a "JDM LSD" diff and it will be an open diff because the people dont realize that not all JDM cars have the LSD in them.
Old 03-30-06, 06:51 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

you made a good point about how the untrained eye could mistake them and send a non lsd unit. i had also heard they were a rare option but i have seen them. the tt auto lsd is the cheapest option so far.
Old 03-30-06, 07:16 PM
slamdawg54
Rookie

does the whole auto tt diff bolt up directly? i read somewhere that it doesn't...