Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

transmission fluid change on 93 sc 400

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 03:34 PM
rcftx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fluid change on 93 sc 400

I have a 1993 SC 400 which I purchased new and it currently has 52,000 miles on it. The car runs beautifully however the transmission seems a little noisy at very low speeds. Since the car is 13 years old I had thought It would be prudent to have the transmission fluid changed since it was never done. I have read threads here about the dangers and problems which could arise from taking the pan down to change the fluid and using fluids not authorized by Toyota. It would appear from one thread it seems ok to use Amsoil synthetic fluid...however I would lean more to the recommended factory Toyota fluid. Is it possible the fluid has broken down which has created a whirring sound at low speeds necessitating me to change the fluid? In addition is it adviseable to have Lexus do a power flush and replace the fluid with their recommended type? The dealership is quoting $125 for just a drain and top off and $249.00 for a power flush. I was wondering if some of the members might give me some alternatives and/or advice on what the safest thing to do would be. I am not interested in creating any problems for myself. Your help is very much appreciated...RCFTX
Old 03-28-06, 04:01 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please do an advanced search as each question you have has been talked about for years.

Amsoil synthetic is the Only Approved oil by Toyota.

I personally would not recommend any other oil besides approved Amsoil or Toyota OEM.

Some people who put additives say there is no problem, but you will not know for thousands of miles if there is a problem. No one can prove that it won't have a negative affect in the long term. I would stay away, cause the small possible benefit is just not worth it.

If you are going synthetic, do a power flush, cause it's kind of pointless to mix dyno oil with synthetic.

The prices you were quoted are fair dealer pricing.

Anyone who just drains oil, or a pan drop is only gettng about half the oil out. There is still oil in the torque convertor that will not drain out through gravity. So if you wanna keep mixing new oil with old. You will have to drain atleast 4 or 5 times to even come close to draining oil the way a power flush would do.

If you put synthetic, you will never need to flush oil again. Just drain a couple quarts every year and the oil will never have a chance to break down. The synthetic last soo much longer. It'salmost overkill to change out 2 quarts a year. (depending on your milage)

On the GS with e-shift, the down shifting is way smoother, it doesn't jerk and grab when you drop down from 3rd into second gear from 35mph.

Try that with your car now and see what I mean.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-28-06 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-29-06, 05:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 08-31-06, 07:54 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Mobil ATF 3309

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_ATF_3309.asp

looks like this is an alternative to the Toyota t-iv fluid...
Old 08-31-06, 08:53 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an SC3, so I can just use any Dexron alternative, but for your SC4, just use the Toyota Type IV fluid or approved alternative. I would recommend against a power flush. Small deposits could become dislodged and cause obstruction in the valve body. A gentler and safer alternative is to go to a place that uses a T-Tech machine. It uses the cars tranny pump to flush the fluid, not an external pressure pump to push fluid through.
Old 08-31-06, 03:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I just got done draining and refilling mine... I figure for the first bit here, I'll just swap the 2 quarts in the trans every oil change, until it's nice and pretty, then after that, maybe every second oil change...

I used Amsoil by the way, claims to be superior to the Toyota stuff, and compatible as well...
Old 09-01-06, 05:41 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

249.00 for a complete flush? Even Jiffy Lube up here charges 119.00 for a complete fluid exchange with your choice of fluid...