Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

whats the slip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 10:31 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the slip?

Before i go rippin off my tranny..

My tranny has been getting worse and worse since the swap. IT slipps preetttyyy bad under WOT, especially between 4-5k rpms, but now its starting aroudn 3500. The funny thing is, it doesnt slip when the torque converter is locked, like under light accelleration. Only when its unlocked (like if u kick the pedal to unlock it, but dont give alot of throttle), it slips badd

Any ideas?

The tranny fluid is burnt.
Old 03-23-06, 11:26 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Time for a replacment.

gadgetSC-t
Old 03-23-06, 11:44 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gadgetSC
Time for a replacment.

gadgetSC-t
Yeah im trying to avoid that as long as possible. I got a tranny to put in no big deal i'm just lazy. I wonder what caused it to fail under 270rwhp.
Old 03-23-06, 12:55 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my only thought would be your torque converter being the culprit. a bent fin or anything slightly bent (flex plate included) can cause similar simptoms but it doesnt explain why it would start slipping at lower and lower rpms. good luck man sorry i cant be of much help, defn let us know when you find out.
Old 03-23-06, 01:08 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

I know when pumps fail the car will jump out of gear...

At WOT around 4k it will stay there, maybe go up again, fall back down and then the RPMS will rise. Just like a slipping clutch in a MT car. Only does such madness when the TC is unlocked. Anyone know the pins to cross to manually lock the TC on a 1JZ?
Old 03-23-06, 03:29 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im on the same tranny since i got the car..... daily beaten and holding strong... dont know how urs is already slipping
Old 03-23-06, 03:36 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by got_trd
im on the same tranny since i got the car..... daily beaten and holding strong... dont know how urs is already slipping
LOL i know i dont even go drag racing. It was slipping since a few weeks after the swap, and has gotten worse since. In the last month or so its to a point to where its really sucking up power and thats why my dyno was so low compared to where it should have been (around 300rwhp), i was actually expecting it to loop on the chart but it didnt amazingly.

I honestly think its the torque converter, if there was a way i could manually keep it in a locked position, id know for sure.

I dunno who knows maybe its the ECT wires? Maybe i missed something in the swap? I remember glancing at something about changing them around on SF, but i think it was for mk3's. When in ECT PWR mode, it stays in whatever gear i maually put the shifter in, even if i come to a complete stop.

Or maybe the linkage isnt exactly on the bolt and its keeping it slighly out of full locked position in the tranny causing a problem?

I also never got a JZZ30 tranny ecu... if there is such a beast.
Old 03-23-06, 04:03 PM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

I've got the same problem. My tranny just started slipping out of the blue at high rpms. It also jumps out of gear when I come to a stop and then slams back into gear after about 5 to 10 seconds. Time for tranny # 4. This one is getting the valve body done right after it I put it in. I'm taking no more chances.
Old 03-23-06, 04:24 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wayne
It also jumps out of gear when I come to a stop and then slams back into gear
mine does that but it clunks sometimes when it goes into 1st, doesnt take 5-10sec.

its roasted.. yay

In my experence with trannys, its the bands probably. Its not worth fixing to me, unless the other one i throw in there is bad too lol. If thats the case, ill just drive easy, and save $$ for a TH700r4 swap and never worry about it again.

Last edited by VJ RC51; 03-23-06 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 04:57 PM
GRSC400
Driver

get another one but before u put it in have a good tranny shop do a shift kit and upgrade the valve bodies it will shift a little harder but will hold a lot better
Old 03-23-06, 08:16 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea dude, you should definetly replace it before you're stuck with a completely dead tranny somewhere.
When mine shot out I waited like you wanted to but mine cut out on the highway. It sucks when you have to pull over to the right lane while letting it coast, especially if everyone is whizzing by you.
Old 03-24-06, 12:49 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Torque converter + oil coolers

should have though about that
Old 03-24-06, 08:14 AM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

I've got a tranny cooler on mine. I think what killed my tranny was that I turned up the boost to 15lbs a couple weeks ago and had some fun with it. Got bored of driving around a 10lbs. Didn't think it would have killed it but after that day it started to slip and got worse as the days went on.
Old 03-24-06, 08:34 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Ive been running a B&M bar/plate tranny cooler.

Who knows what killed it, i dont think i ever stalled it up at a line, and i've only made maybe 3 passes ever at the drag strip. I do get on it hard, but always when moving never at a stop.

O well, i guess next weekend ill swap it out. It hasn't been getting worse in the last month, but to give you an idea.. it feels like a CVT tranny lol. Driving around normal not getting into boost it not too horrible.
Old 03-25-06, 11:56 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Ive been running a B&M bar/plate tranny cooler.

Who knows what killed it, i dont think i ever stalled it up at a line, and i've only made maybe 3 passes ever at the drag strip. I do get on it hard, but always when moving never at a stop.

O well, i guess next weekend ill swap it out. It hasn't been getting worse in the last month, but to give you an idea.. it feels like a CVT tranny lol. Driving around normal not getting into boost it not too horrible.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/B...BAABF31C50.htm

Theres a vid of the abuse I put my tranny through..... Nothing wrong it it so far.....

Quick Reply: whats the slip?