Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hesitation? Stalling? Poor cold start? Stumble? Low RPM? Sluggish? *LOOK HERE*

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 04:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I dig that. That's why I put this here because it is a tricky little issue that an cause a lot of unnecessary expenses trying to find and still not get it right. So, is it fixed?

Originally Posted by ninjasc400
This MIGHT be the fix I was looking for.

When I tried lifting that box upwards, although it barely moved, I did notice that the engine didn't sound like it was about to stall. As soon as I let go, it would sputter here and there. I did this numerous times just to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Didn't have any zipties on hand this late at night but I'm going to give it a shot first thing in the morning and return with updates.

The problems I'm having are that the engine stalls when idling and while coming to a stop while driving. Unplugging the MAF made the car run fine but with a CEL and it would run rich and smell gassy. Plugging in a replacement MAF and resetting the ECU caused the same problems even though the CEL went away.

Went back to the old MAF, reset the ECU again and this time I was pulling on the box. The engine didn't cut off once in the 30 minutes the car was running.

Let's see what happens when I buy some zipties tomorrow morning...
Old 03-11-13, 02:20 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Wellp. the vvt-i dont appear to have this box. Unless its under the engine cover.
Our VVTi motors do indeed have the box, it's nearly in the same spot as the non VVTi motor but obscured by the engine cover. Still easily visible if you look on the side where the air intake box sits. Just that the intake tube no longer sits on top of the box but is now just attached to it via a plastic duct.
Old 03-09-14, 07:57 PM
canman44
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having intermittent idling issues with my 92' SC400 with 170k on it. I mean sometimes it feels like its about to stall when I pull up to a red light. Also, like I said, these idling issue are intermittent. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens. I tried this the other day to no avail. I have replaced my MAF so I've got that ruled out. I've been throwing a code for an EGR, but the idle is very rough and I didn't think it would be that rough from an EGR, so I'm thinking that's not it. Maybe you guys could tell me how much that can affect idle. I have been doing some research into capacitors going bad in the ECU. Some folks on here have described similar symptoms and replacing those fried caps did the trick. Sorry for hijacking the thread too. Thought it was relevant seeing as how the symptoms are similar and this could help someone diagnose these issues in the future.