Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear axle bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 06:54 PM
tjj13401
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle bearings

Who can tell me something about rear axle bearings? How many sets are there? How much to replace for parts? Labor? My Lexus is making a lot of noise from the rear tire area. I thought it was an out-of-round tire or a tire separating, but the tires are only about 6 months old, have been rotated religiously, and when my mechanic put in on the rack, you could still hear the noise. I'm at 138,000 miles. Anyone else have a similar situation?

TJ
Old 02-24-06, 01:31 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

I had a rear "wheel bearing" go out on my SC - it tore up the hub as well. New hub, new bearing, plus labor ran me around $500 at the stealership.
Old 02-25-06, 03:40 AM
tjj13401
Rookie

Anyone know if there's a difference between wheel bearings and axle bearings? Has anyone else had the 'noise' problem I described below?

TJ
Old 02-26-06, 05:53 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tjj13401
Anyone know if there's a difference between wheel bearings and axle bearings? Has anyone else had the 'noise' problem I described below?

TJ
same/same & AKA hub bearings. its a reasonably common problem on higher mileage cars.
Old 02-26-06, 10:53 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

1994 5sp, 95k miles and was completely quiet in the rear. Installed a Supra N/A LSD and immediately have a low hum and slight vibrations from the rear at speeds between ~75 to 85, yes, I've had the rears balanced and I've run second set of wheel/tires just to check this, so tires are not contributing to this. Drive shaft? Axels? Ideas????
Old 02-27-06, 04:34 AM
tjj13401
Rookie

After further research on this issue ( Advanced search = "hub bearings"), I am certain that my problem is the rear wheel bearing, aka hub bearing or axle bearing. From the sounds of things, most of the cost is parts: Bearing, oil seals, and most likely, a new hub. By the time you start getting a pronounced WooWooWooWoo noise, you probably have some significand hub wear. I'm not sure of the cost yet. I understand that the Supra bearings will fit. Anyone able to verify that? The one posting here said they were significantly less expensive than Lexus'. This definately sounds like something that can be done by anyone, not just the dealer to me.

TJ
Old 02-27-06, 04:33 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Originally Posted by SCoupe
1994 5sp, 95k miles and was completely quiet in the rear. Installed a Supra N/A LSD and immediately have a low hum and slight vibrations from the rear at speeds between ~75 to 85, yes, I've had the rears balanced and I've run second set of wheel/tires just to check this, so tires are not contributing to this. Drive shaft? Axels? Ideas????
dude, dont highjack this guys thread. its not cool. your problem is in the supra rear you just
put in. take it back out & have it rebuilt. the bearings are going bad or it has too much backlash.
Old 02-27-06, 04:41 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Originally Posted by tjj13401
After further research on this issue ( Advanced search = "hub bearings"), I am certain that my problem is the rear wheel bearing, aka hub bearing or axle bearing. From the sounds of things, most of the cost is parts: Bearing, oil seals, and most likely, a new hub. By the time you start getting a pronounced WooWooWooWoo noise, you probably have some significand hub wear. I'm not sure of the cost yet. I understand that the Supra bearings will fit. Anyone able to verify that? The one posting here said they were significantly less expensive than Lexus'. This definately sounds like something that can be done by anyone, not just the dealer to me.

TJ
this does not need to be done by the dealer. some people have a in car press so it can
be done w/o removing the spindle. (knuckle) i still do it the old fashioned way, remove
the knuckle & press the bearings in a upright press. if your really motivated, take the
knuckles out yourself. any machine shop, repair shop or parts house can do the bearings
for you if they have a press.

i cant verify if the supra bearings are the same.

Last edited by supra dr; 02-27-06 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-28-06, 09:49 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem? anyone here know the dealer cost for bearings and maybe the hub as well?
Old 03-01-06, 05:28 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96sc3
i have the same problem? anyone here know the dealer cost for bearings and maybe the hub as well?
i got like three parts scs sitting at the yard you work at, and your asking about dealer prices?
Old 03-01-06, 06:49 AM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d'oh, i keep forgetting about them parts cars,,,,
Old 03-01-06, 09:20 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by supra dr
dude, dont highjack this guys thread. its not cool. your problem is in the supra rear you just
put in. take it back out & have it rebuilt. the bearings are going bad or it has too much backlash.
dude, next time I won't put so much stupid in my coffee in the morning. The weekend mechanic in me is not experienced enough to know exactly where the bearing being discussed in this thread are located and thought it was probably not to far off topic to post in here. Thought there might be CL members like you who might be reading this and have something helpful to say (which you did you did and I thank you for that).

To the multitudes offended by that question, I appologize profoundly, I thought it was close enough to ask. Excuse me.
Old 03-01-06, 01:32 PM
tjj13401
Rookie

Well, I wasn't offended. I just ordered the parts from good old dependable Carson Toyota. I ordered them at lunch and of course I didn't write down the prices on everything - besides, if I know how much I'm spending, I might not spend it. The rough breakdown on the parts was around $67 each for the bearings, and I believe the total for the 2 oil seals (1 inner and 1 outer) was around $30 or a little less. While I was at it... I ordered 2 headlamp assemblies. I screwed one up trying to 'bake' it (it was full of condensation this morning) and decided to just go ahead and get new ones...$268 each. $17 shipping to Florida for all the above. I'm going to have both right and left side rear bearings done. I'm hoping the hubs are o.k.... So what's that? Somewhere around $100 per side for the bearings plus whatever the labor will be. I have a good mechanic who does side jobs, so it shouldn't be too much.

Then, finally, after the a/c compressor whine was fixed (3rd time was the charm), and after the 'woowoowoo' of bad bearings is fixed, my Lexus will once again sound like a Lexus. Amen.

TJ
Old 03-01-06, 02:44 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Originally Posted by SCoupe
dude, next time I won't put so much stupid in my coffee in the morning. The weekend mechanic in me is not experienced enough to know exactly where the bearing being discussed in this thread are located and thought it was probably not to far off topic to post in here. Thought there might be CL members like you who might be reading this and have something helpful to say (which you did you did and I thank you for that).

To the multitudes offended by that question, I appologize profoundly, I thought it was close enough to ask. Excuse me.
i retract my previous statement.... i must have been in a mood. it reads much more harsh
than i intended to say. so I apologize for being a peepee head.

john