Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECT problem/question. do CA cars not have this option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 11:33 AM
tttp5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECT problem/question. do CA cars not have this option?

Hi there,

I just picked up my used 92 sc400 and i was driving and it I realised that the ECT button with the power and normal mode is not working or does not seem to do anything.

I pressed down on the power side or the normal side and it doens't seem to do anything, it just seems like it is a loose button not connected to anything under the piece of plastic.

Am I doing something wrong?

And what is the most likely problem if one corner of my car sits lower then the other corners. one of the wheel well gaps is about 0.5 inches while the other three have gaps of about 1.5-2 inches. what is causing this problem?
Old 02-21-06, 11:46 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Hello. Im assuming you are new here. Welcome to the club! I believe most Automatic SCs came with that "magic" button. When set on "PWR" you feel it more when your tranny is about to go into the next gear. You'll notice that the shift point is higher than having it on "NORM". If the green light for it shows up on the cluster when your push "PWR" then it is connected.

If your car sits lower on one corner it will most likely be a blown shock. You can also check to see if your tires are all the same size and have the same PSI just to make sure.
Old 02-21-06, 11:49 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the ECT button light up or does the "power" mode light show on the dash. The ECT is not state specific so yes, it woul dbe available in CA. If the switch is not "clicking", there might be damage inside the switch itself. You should probably take the center console out so you can get a good look at everything there and examine that switch closely and confirm that it is in fact connected.

As for the corner that is low........many possible things.
1. End Link twisted and hanging up on the control arm
2. Blown Spring
3. Broken/bent control arm/s, or other suspension pieces

Your first thing here is to lift the car up, take the wheel off and start examing everything. Take some pics too and post 'em up of that side with the wheel off.

Someone here might see something you might not.
Old 02-23-06, 12:11 AM
tttp5
Pole Position

thanks for the replies.

looks like i will be lifiting up the black piece to take a look at whats underneat the button.
Old 02-23-06, 01:31 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

It's not NAWWSS. Don't expect that just because the light is burnt out you are losing 50 HP. The chances are that the panel has not been removed and the dash light is burnt out. The less chance is that the switch is unplugged or faulty. In this case simply plugging it up will get you a light on the dash which will in turn respond by lowering your gas mileage
Old 02-23-06, 07:51 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It's not NAWWSS. Don't expect that just because the light is burnt out you are losing 50 HP. The chances are that the panel has not been removed and the dash light is burnt out. The less chance is that the switch is unplugged or faulty. In this case simply plugging it up will get you a light on the dash which will in turn respond by lowering your gas mileage
Scratch what i asked before, that was stupid......

Last edited by Jewtheist; 02-23-06 at 07:58 AM. Reason: STupid remark