Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics

Old 12-30-13, 06:12 AM
masterff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My door won't open from either the outside or inside on the rear of my LS430.

A lot of the threads I see of faulty actuators are with the door being able to be opened. Mine won't open at all.

I can feel resistance when pulling on the interior cable, but when the door unlocks the actuator does make a grinding noise.

I can also see a brass arm with a spring attached that seems to go down when it's trying to unlock.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Old 04-20-14, 10:04 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bumping an old, but very useful thread. I just fixed my passenger door lock this past weekend. Thanks CL.

steve
Old 04-22-14, 06:04 PM
SlowC400
Driver School Candidate

Is there a Door open sensor? My chimer and lights wont turn off when the door is shut so i had to pull the Fuse. where is it and what does it look like?
Old 07-20-14, 12:44 PM
macken3
Driver School Candidate

Hey I know this thread hasn't really been active for a while but if someone could give me some help that would be awesome! I have a broken metal arm thing so I need to replace the entire assembly, I found a couple of SCs at pick n pulls so I'm gonna go see if I can grab a working assembly. I was just wondering if anyone had a pic of the whole assembly and knows what tools I need other than a screwdriver to get it out? When I took my door apart the arm had already fallen to the bottom so I didn't get to see what the intact assembly looks like.
Old 07-27-14, 01:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by hoosier58
I actually think those numbers are wrong. I think 050 and 060 are the correct numbers.
Comparing the pictures side by side, they appear to be extremely similar. 050/060 seems to have a slightly shorter neck than 030/040 on the right angle portion, but that's the only difference I can see. Both appear to be general Toyota parts used across a variety of vehicles. I'm guessing 050/060 is a newer version. If so, it should fit a space designed for the longer necked ones on our older SCs.

The pic in the first post of this thread looks closer to the proportions of the 030/040 neck.
Old 09-16-14, 09:42 PM
SlvrSpruce
Driver School Candidate

Default Replaced snap, now lock doesn't work?

First of all awesome thread. I had a broken plastic snap in passenger door of '92 SC400 and i just replaced it today ($3 at local Toyota). But now....when i lock my doors and try to open the passenger side from the outside, the first try (pull) seems to unlock it, because on the second try it will open. Seems pretty odd... Any idea why this might be happening?
Old 09-16-14, 09:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvrSpruce
First of all awesome thread. I had a broken plastic snap in passenger door of '92 SC400 and i just replaced it today ($3 at local Toyota). But now....when i lock my doors and try to open the passenger side from the outside, the first try (pull) seems to unlock it, because on the second try it will open. Seems pretty odd... Any idea why this might be happening?
I would guess a rod is bent or a clip not quite in position, or something along those lines to where the first pull of the handle gets it lined up properly. Maybe have someone open the handle while you're looking at the internal mechanisms with the door panel off? You might be able to do it yourself with the door open (can't really do it with the window rolled down, as that blocks your line of sight) and reaching around to the handle.
Old 10-12-14, 01:30 PM
Bouncer
Driver School Candidate

My passenger door just became an air handle. I fixed the driver door a while back. You could still open the passenger door from the inside until yesterday. Now it seems jammed and will not open from inside. Is this a different problem??

Last edited by Bouncer; 10-12-14 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added more info.
Old 11-01-14, 12:09 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the 93 and the correct number seems to be 69293-12060 and 69293-12050, these are more expensive and the dealer wants 120% mark up and almost $8 for one. I got a few pieces of left and right from ebay free shipping. It was the same dimensions.

Anyway it was a while until I realized I needed pliers to install everything, clip to handle, rod to handle, and the last clip to rod, everything is a very tight fit.
I was able to use a regular sized needle nose pliers except the last one.
Old 11-24-14, 04:13 AM
Bouncer
Driver School Candidate

I would like one of those clips for my passenger door on my 95 SC 400. You want me to pay pal you the money . That is the easiest and fastest. Just need your pay-pal address. Thanks bro.
Old 11-24-14, 04:18 AM
Bouncer
Driver School Candidate

Default Part number for Passenger door clip

Here is the correct part number for the plastic clip for the passenger door....69293-12030.

Thanks again..
Old 12-29-14, 07:49 AM
Mac2
Driver School Candidate

Dorman makes a kit for door lock rod clips, they work for many makes of cars and can be used for left side and right side doors. Many of mthe national car parts chains stock them.

hope this helps.
Old 01-07-15, 08:53 AM
Mark531
Rookie

lol i was wondering why my door wouldnt open from the outside. i found out before i saw this lol. now im jus waiting for the weather
Old 04-22-15, 09:00 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a '92 SC400 with the same problem. I was expecting to just replace the missing clip for the actuator rod but when I pulled the door panel off and looked inside, the rod is missing too. The part circled in red is what I'm referring too. I looked everywhere inside the door, it's no where to be found. The door seems to have been taken apart before when the previous owner replaced the speaker in the door. Can this part be replaced or do I have to buy a new assembly?

Old 05-09-15, 01:10 PM
DiRocco
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine just broke!

From what I've read in this post the rod is not available separately from the assembly. You may be able to find one cheaper than the dealerships on eBay though. Aliga might have one too maybe? This issue just happened on my '93 SC300 passenger side outside door handle. Hopefully just need 69293-12050 (or was it 69293-12060, well, either way, going to get several for each side, just to have on hand). Got to get that fixed before the window gets rolled down accidentally and breaks the rod! Thanks everyone for the posts and observations! Very helpful!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics